CTT Comments

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...7870.xml&coll=1

Seems what I said Monday PM was correct (for those in the Barn)

Tuberville joins club defending academics

Coach tells Atlanta AU Club he's proud of performance

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

ATLANTA - Tommy Tuberville didn't violate Auburn's gag order, but he defended the academic performance of his football program before a boisterous crowd of more than 500 at Tuesday night's meeting of the Atlanta Auburn Club.

"We're the winningest team in the conference games in the last five years," Tuberville said. "We've graduated 98 players, including all the walk-ons, in football in the last three years. That's unheard of. We're the No. 1 public school, the top team in the conference and No. 3 nationally in the APR. Now, I wonder why anybody would want to say anything negative about us?"

The crowd cheered.

Tuberville said he hoped the university investigation into accusations in The New York Times by sociology director James Gundlach that department head Thomas Petee demanded minimal work for high grades given to his students would be over in a matter of days.

"One thing I have learned is you can't fight the media," Tuberville said. "It's going to be written. You have to make sure you get your positive word out and go on with it."

Tuberville said his program's commitment to academics has grown in his seven seasons at the school.

"You have to help these kids understand that, when they get on campus, they have no other choice but to choose a degree and work toward that degree the first year," Tuberville said. "Since 2000, we have almost tripled our budget in academics. We've built a $6.5 million academic building. Every player has a counselor who oversees what they take, when they take it and if they are on track to graduate.

"We make them go to 10 hours of study hall a week. We're not the only ones. Schools that aren't doing it are going to be in trouble in a few years. It's two full-time jobs. It's a job in athletics that is very, very tough. And it's a full-time job in academics. You have to do this for these players. We are putting a tremendous amount of money into it to make sure they do it and get a degree."

Turning to football, Tuberville acknowledged that the Tigers have been ranked in the top 10 in most preseason polls.

He recalled 2003, when the Tigers were picked by some to win the national championship and went 8-5. He narrowly survived an inside attempt to fire him.

"We're ranked high," Tuberville said. "The last time we were ranked high y'all tried to run my butt off."

The crowd loved it, breaking out in laughter, but Tuberville came back with a line they liked even better.

He said he didn't like standing beside 6-foot-9 offensive tackle King Dunlap to do interviews.

"It makes me feel like (former 5-foot-6 Auburn coach) Terry Bowden," Tuberville said.

Tuberville acknowledged that he was disappointed in off-the-field alcohol-related incidents that resulted in the arrests of senior cornerback Montae Pitts and redshirt freshman linebacker Tray Blackmon.

"Our players get disturbed when guys get their names the paper like that," Tuberville said. "Our players tend to take that very seriously. Everything is going to be fine.

"They've paid some price. They are going to continue to pay a price for some time."

I know Tubs is "more strict" than Shula and all, but can someone explain why Shula not talking about Simpson's punishment as being a big piece of talk last month (not the severity of it, but not speaking of it at all). I'll admit, I was one that was curious why Shula never said anything. But now Tuberville won't say anything about Montae or Tray. And we all know something has/will happen, but that he doesn't come public with it - how is it any different from what Shula is doing? I guess I just think how Finebaum would blame Shula for not speaking, but doesn't say anything about Tubs

I know Tubs is "more strict" than Shula and all, but can someone explain why Shula not talking about Simpson's punishment as being a big piece of talk last month (not the severity of it, but not speaking of it at all). I'll admit, I was one that was curious why Shula never said anything. But now Tuberville won't say anything about Montae or Tray. And we all know something has/will happen, but that he doesn't come public with it - how is it any different from what Shula is doing? I guess I just think how Finebaum would blame Shula for not speaking, but doesn't say anything about Tubs

249784[/snapback]

??? I'm sure there is a question in there somewhere in that mangled jumble of words. Fact: CTT is much more stricter that Shulla with respect to disciplining DUI incidents. We've discussed Shulla's bogus (insert famous 3-named person) QB suspension so much it's become an inside joke. It's so transparent: Shulla won't talk about discipline publicly because he might be held accountable if a similar incident happens in the future. As long as he can say the perpetrator is being "disciplined privately" he is free to protect his most prized players while giving the illusion of running a tight ship. The toothless masses eat this kind of logic up.

Most people would look for a question mark, so i'll repeat it for you:

how is it any different from what Shula is doing?

And I wrote a lot of mumble jumble because I knew most people would not answer my question that I asked and I tried to cover my butt. So again...

Why is Shula not talking about the punishment bad, but when Tuberville doesn't talk about the punishment, no one seems to care?

I want to know what disciplinary action is going to happen. When Shula didn't say the discipline on Simpson, everyone was all over him for not saying anything. Tuberville hasn't come out to speak on the discipline of our boys. So why aren't people pressuring him to speak out like they pressured Shula?

And I wrote a lot of mumble jumble because I knew most people would not answer my question that I asked and I tried to cover my butt. So again...

249854[/snapback]

I don't understand that statement.....If it is mumble jumble why type it? Why do you feel the need to have to cover your butt?

Most people would look for a question mark, so i'll repeat it for you:

how is it any different from what Shula is doing?

Why is Shula not talking about the punishment bad, but when Tuberville doesn't talk about the punishment, no one seems to care?

I want to know what disciplinary action is going to happen. When Shula didn't say the discipline on Simpson, everyone was all over him for not saying anything. Tuberville hasn't come out to speak on the discipline of our boys. So why aren't people pressuring him to speak out like they pressured Shula?

249854[/snapback]

because tuberville will actually do something....the bammerfart players know coach hula is not going to do anything drastc(except throw an insignifiicant 4 th teamer off the team) and the disipline at the crapstone is not something they worry about.....it is catching up with them....for all the bammerfarts that think they have this damn great football coach in coach hula, keep thinking that while wwe count fingers and then toes

249784[/snapback]

Dang, bro. You sure you're an aubie? Seems like you've got a bit a Bama running off your chin, there.

Archived