VT signs recruit without criminal record.

DKW 86

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...07975&ran=52851

Hampton quarterback Tyrod Taylor picks Virginia Tech

By KYLE TUCKER, The Virginian-Pilot

© July 22, 2006

HAMPTON - In a room packed with Virginia Tech fans ready to explode, Tyrod Taylor turned Crabbers Restaurant into a party place Friday night.

As local TV cameras fed live footage, Hampton High's star quarterback, flanked by family and friends, made it official: He's a Hokie. Taylor, one of the top-rated rising senior quarterbacks in the country, announced his decision to attend Tech over his other finalist, Florida.

"When I went to their senior camp" two weeks ago, Taylor said, "I had a very good feeling.... I wanted to be around my family, where they could come see me play. And I felt really comfortable with the coaches and players."

The announcement ended months of fretting by fans. Taylor's high school coach, Mike Smith, didn't help. Earlier this week, Smith told The Roanoke Times that fans shouldn't count Southern California out of the equation.

While Taylor had not mentioned or visited USC, Smith's statement seemed to have the desired effect: adding a little suspense to a previously foregone conclusion.

Worry washed away when Taylor slipped on a maroon Virginia Tech hat. Someone in the crowd shouted "Praise the Lord!"

Count Brent Maloney among those who shared the sentiment. The 28-year-old Hokies fan ditched his desk at a Washington software company and drove three-plus hours with a co-worker to attend Friday's news conference.

"I told work I had to pick my mom up at the airport," Maloney said. "This is big-time. It should be a windfall after this. We should get a ton of top recruits."

Latest Videos

Casting call for wannabe ghouls

Watch a training session at Blackwater Academy

Hampton Roads fights against invading fire ants

Landis Wins Tour de France

Some Power Restored in NYC

Ind. Police Probe Highway Sniper Attacks

See the complete Pilot, exactly as in print

- View stories, photos and ads

- E-mail clippings

- Print copies

Taylor becomes the 11th player in two weeks to commit to the Hokies. He's the 13th overall, but by far the jewel of Tech's 2007 recruiting class.

Decked out in a black suit, green tie and diamond earrings Friday, Taylor said he had talked with several of the Hokies' recent commitments during the senior camp in Blacksburg on July 8. He said he clued them in that he would be deciding soon and was leaning toward Tech.

"Some of them committed because they thought I was coming, and hopefully I could bring some more," Taylor said.

As a junior last season, Taylor led the Crabbers to a Group AAA Division 5 state title. He passed for 1,500 yards, ran for more than 1,000 and accounted for 30 touchdowns.

Taylor - who is 6-foot-1, 200 pounds and runs a 4.5-second 40 - is rated the No. 2 dual-threat quarterback in the nation by Rivals.com. ESPN.com rates him the No. 3 overall quarterback, while Scout.com says he's the nation's seventh-best passer.

Now that his decision is official, the remainder of Tech's class could get a boost

"I'll try to bring as many players as I can," Taylor said. "All the big-time players."

Yes, because we all know Beamer is public enemy number one. I think they must have multiple classes on how to be a thug up there. Let's see poking opposing players in the eye, stomping on opposing players, late hits, and eventually the big finale, whipping out a gun on two kids at a McDonalds.

"I think they learn to be criminals AFTER they get to VT. Its a freshman level course or something"

And I am sure that the "BS in Thug" major has a lot of Independent Study along with in class instruction.

Archived