Auburn wants to start fast

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...1190.xml&coll=1

Tigers can't wait

Auburn wants to start fast, end struggles in non-conference games

Sunday, July 30, 2006

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

AUBURN - It's a blight on an otherwise glittering record.

In Tommy Tuberville's seven seasons as coach, Auburn has played four early season games against teams from other Bowl Championship Series conferences.

And it has lost four times.

On Sept. 2 at Jordan-Hare Stadium, the Tigers, runaway favorites to win the Southeastern Conference championship, will try again when Washington State comes calling from the Pac-10.

The significance is not lost on Tuberville. He watched his team lose 24-17 to Southern California in 2002 and 23-0 to the Trojans at home in 2003. Worse, he suffered through a 17-3 loss at Georgia Tech in the second game of the 2003 season and a 23-14 loss to the Yellow Jackets at home last season.

"I want to play good early," Tuberville said. "We put emphasis on that in the spring and all through the summer. We want to play as a contender early. We don't want to come out slow. The other teams have had something to say about that, but I want us to understand that, if you are going to be picked up there, you don't (wait to) come out swinging in the middle of the season. We are going to do everything we can to prepare this team to be ready that first game."

That preparation begins Wednesday when the Tigers open preseason practice. Though they've been on campus for the summer, players officially report Tuesday.

Washington State will be the first of 12 consecutive games without a break, and that will have an impact on what players are called on to do in the stifling August heat.

"We're going to have one full scrimmage and probably one half scrimmage," Tuberville said. "When you have an experienced quarterback, you're not really concerned about him. Probably more important for us is defensively, putting a group out there that can work together as a unit."

Returning impact players, led by quarterback Brandon Cox, tailback Kenny Irons and wide receiver Courtney Taylor on offense, and linebacker Will Herring, cornerback David Irons and ends Marquies Gunn and Quentin Groves on defense, propelled the Tigers to the top in the preseason.

Auburn has won or shared the West Division championship five of the past six seasons and has won 23 of its last 26 games. None of that will matter, Tuberville said, when things get serious in September.

"I would hope every year we would be picked first," Tuberville said. "Our program is pretty good. We've been in the hunt almost every year the last five or six years, but to me, predictions are really based on what you've done. Nobody knows what is going to happen.

"I don't see how anybody can pick anybody over LSU. Their toughest decision is which All-American quarterback they are going to play. Arkansas is going to be a heck of a team. We've got a tough schedule."

And there are questions to be answered in the next four weeks. The safety positions, where redshirt freshman Aairon Savage and sophomore Eric Brock will go in as the starters, is unsettled. With senior Kevin Sears and redshirt freshman Tray Blackmon suspended indefinitely, there are serious questions at linebacker. There will be new starters at defensive tackle, nose guard, tight end, fullback and both offensive tackles. Taylor is the only proven wide receiver.

True freshmen will get an early look at positions of need. Tuberville points to defensive tackle Bart Eddins, wide receiver Tim Hawthorne and linebacker Craig Stevens. He says Mario Fannin, a running back by trade, could get a look at wide receiver.

Taylor, who was slowed to a crawl last season by nagging injuries, says he senses good things about his final Auburn season, things that remind him of the 13-0 run in 2004.

"I've been saying all summer I feel something special about this team," Taylor said.

Senior Will Herring, a preseason All-SEC choice after moving from safety to outside linebacker, says he senses it, too.

"I think the chemistry we had two years ago definitely carried over onto the field," Herring said. "Hopefully, the same thing will happen this year. We don't have a Carnell Williams or Ronnie Brown or Carlos Rogers. What we do have is team players.

"We might not have the superstars, but at the same time, the leadership is there like we had that year."

Auburn practices in shorts Wednesday through Saturday and puts the pads on for the first time Sunday. Fan Day is Saturday from 3-5 p.m. at Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum.

Sounds like this is one of those "Gonna get this monkey off my back" goals this year. We should be fine. But with Doba losing his wife, they will be fired up to win one for the coach.

That emotion will wear off by the middle of the first quarter or the first AU sack whichever comes first. I hope our guys remain focused, clear-headed and motivated throughout the year one game at a time.

Well both Irons boys will be first round picks. Taylor might be. Probably have one off the offensive line and defensive line. AU could have 5 first round picks this year. We have star power.

Archived