When you can't find the enemy

Bottomfeeder

Hmmm, my, my, my.

Brutal US attack on unarmed Afghans captured by photos

By Tom Coghlan in Kabul

Published: 08 August 2006

Claims that US troops shot dead up to six unarmed Afghan civilians two months ago in Kabul have been given added credibility with a series of photographs offering visual evidence of military misconduct.

The pictures were taken by an Afghan passer-by on 29 May in Khair Kane, a district of north Kabul. The 20 photographs appear to show a group of unarmed Afghan civilians being killed by gunfire from an American Humvee.

The allegations made in Kabul follow other recent incidents in which US troops are alleged to have used disproportionate or reckless force against civilians, most notably in Haditha, Iraq, on 19 November 2005 when US troops allegedly killed 15 civilians.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article1217554.ece

I didn't see any pictures to prove the story, but I did see this article linked on the same page.

Taliban murder boy, 13, for 'spying'

By Tom Coghlan in Kabul

Published: 10 August 2006

Taliban insurgents have shot dead a 70-year-old woman and her 13-year-old grandson a few miles north of a British base in Helmand province, saying they were spies for the government.

Officials in Kabul said that after the killings, reported to have taken place on Monday, the bodies were left hanging from a tree as a warning to local villagers.

"They were shot and then their bodies were hanged from a tree," said Haji Mohaiuddin, a spokesman for the governor of Helmand. "The son-in-law of the old woman works as a policeman, but there is no other connection to the government."

President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack. He said that it was " against the historical and cultural values of Muslims". (Yeah I believe that)

The attack occurred in a village in the Musa Qala district, which has a British garrison. Four British soldiers have been killed in the area in the past 10 days.

On Monday, the Ministry of Defence said a major operation had taken place in Musa Qala to reclaim it from guerrillas trying "to rule local villages with fear and intimidation". The MoD said: "The priority was to dominate Musa Qala and disrupt enemy forces in order to return stability. This was overwhelmingly achieved."

* A UN report will probably show that more opium has been grown in Afghanistan this year than last, despite an aggressive anti-drugs policy. The Foreign minister, Kim Howells, said: "Much of the increase is due to a substantial increase in planting in Helmand, and other southern provinces. This is worrying, but it reflects the difficult security situation and limited law enforcement capability."

Taliban insurgents have shot dead a 70-year-old woman and her 13-year-old grandson a few miles north of a British base in Helmand province, saying they were spies for the government.

Officials in Kabul said that after the killings, reported to have taken place on Monday, the bodies were left hanging from a tree as a warning to local villagers.

"They were shot and then their bodies were hanged from a tree," said Haji Mohaiuddin, a spokesman for the governor of Helmand. "The son-in-law of the old woman works as a policeman, but there is no other connection to the government."

President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack. He said that it was " against the historical and cultural values of Muslims".

The attack occurred in a village in the Musa Qala district, which has a British garrison. Four British soldiers have been killed in the area in the past 10 days.

On Monday, the Ministry of Defence said a major operation had taken place in Musa Qala to reclaim it from guerrillas trying "to rule local villages with fear and intimidation". The MoD said: "The priority was to dominate Musa Qala and disrupt enemy forces in order to return stability. This was overwhelmingly achieved."

* A UN report will probably show that more opium has been grown in Afghanistan this year than last, despite an aggressive anti-drugs policy. The Foreign minister, Kim Howells, said: "Much of the increase is due to a substantial increase in planting in Helmand, and other southern provinces. This is worrying, but it reflects the difficult security situation and limited law enforcement capability."

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article1218058.ece

Archived