NEW AUNATION FEATURE

WarTiger

With football season just a few short weeks away and me being out of the country as of thursday morning, Its time to announce the newest AUNATION feature.

This football season AUNATION is doing its very own weekly college football TOP 10 poll. The pollsters will be submitting ballots to me on late saturrday night or sometime sunday. The poll will not be like all the other polls. We are going to wait until all teams have played a few games before we put out our first poll. The first AUNATION top 10 will debut on sunday OCt. 1.

It will be posted in a sticky every sunday afternoon on the football forum as well as posted on the main AUNATION.NET homepage once all the work on that page is complete. The way I will be tabulating the poll is the teams are ranked 1-10 with the number 1 team receiving 10 points, number 2 team receiving 9 points and so on. The points will then be added and the team with the most points will be ranked NUMBER 1 and so forth.

I may tweak it for future seasons, but right now this is the easiest way for me to do it.

I hope everyone will be as excited about this feature as we are.

Opps, forgot to share the pollsters with you.. The pollsters will consist of the AUNATION owners group/ Administrators/ Moderators, with our two most frequent RIVAL posters being included as well. We all know who they are, but in case you have a brain fart, the other two pollsters are: Bamagrad03 and Southlink.

I may expand the pollsters next season if it takes off well, but this is just a beginning and i want to keep the number of ballots down to a reasonable number. Also, need ones that will vote EVERY WEEK. I know other of you would certainly be consistent enough to vote every week, so this is not a slam on anybody, its just a manageable way to do the poll for me.

YES, we will have an "also received votes"

I think the "no poll until (insert date here)" is ridiculous. Everyone will base this poll on the other polls. If anyone really thinks the Harris Poll waits a month is not in touch with reality.

Ohio State and Notre Dame could be 4-0 with victories by 3 points or less in each game, while an Auburn team could beat everyone by at least 35 and Auburn would still be #3 at best.

I think the "no poll until (insert date here)" is ridiculous. Everyone will base this poll on the other polls. If anyone really thinks the Harris Poll waits a month is not in touch with reality.

Ohio State and Notre Dame could be 4-0 with victories by 3 points or less in each game, while an Auburn team could beat everyone by at least 35 and Auburn would still be #3 at best.

SSDD

SSDD

Agreed. You were much nicer then the reply I had in mind.

SSDD

It's just an opinion, everyone is entitled to one. A lot of you were saying the same thing about the BCS poll during the 2004 season.

SSDD

It's just an opinion, everyone is entitled to one. A lot of you were saying the same thing about the BCS poll during the 2004 season.

AWK,

I think you are missing the point of our reply. Why come on and gripe about the way we are doing a poll on here? The admin and mods are doing the voting and to slam them and say they will be influenced by earlier polls like the media was a bit silly if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe those registered on this board are pretty knowledgable about the teams. It would be interesting to see how we would rank teams each week. I'm not sure how these votes would be captured each week but that certainly, in my opinion, would have some appeal to board members. Anyway, keep up the good work.

...The poll will not be like all the other polls. ...

Yes it will. It will be exactly like all the other polls because it's based on a group of people voting Beauty Contest-like as to who they think is the best. It's silly. The subjectivity of the pollsters, any pollsters, is what I object to here. I have no agenda with any of the people you pick -- my contention is that their inherent bias will show through no matter what. Adding southlink & BG03 may improve the "diversity" of the pollsters but it does nothing to improve the objectivity. Again, nothing against them personally -- it's akin to the Olympic pairs figure skating competition adding the French & Russian judges to the mix. It gives an appearance of bipartisanship only when the underlying premise, voting, is fundamentally wrong from the get go. I've been mistrustful of polls since the '83 AU team's experience with them.

I despise the BCS because of the method (polling) not the goal of determining a National Champion. IMHO, the only way we get a true NC is to have a multiple round playoff with no voting or polling involved -- the team that ultimately perseveres as the NC should prove it all on the field in competition. Period. Then there can be no dispute. Whether AU Nation has a weekly poll or not won't make one bit of difference towards that end. I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade or p*** in your cornflakes. No matter how much you say you're going to be fair & objective ... you can't do it. It's an illusion. Human nature says you're homerism re your team, division, conference, geographical region, run/pass orientation, defense/offense orientation or Hesiman candidates on your team is going to prevail. Count me in among those who aren't "excited" about this new AUNation feature. Carry on with your poll. :au: WDE

***EDIT*** Forgot to add this poll. I think these guys have the right attitude towards polling: Clucko the Chicken

The integrity of this poll will be fantastic.

With that said, anyone who wishes me to vote AU #1 should PM me as I charge $10 for AU to be included in my Top 10 and $10 more for each spot up.

Yes it will. It will be exactly like all the other polls because it's based on a group of people voting Beauty Contest-like as to who they think is the best. It's silly. The subjectivity of the pollsters, any pollsters, is what I object to here. I have no agenda with any of the people you pick -- my contention is that their inherent bias will show through no matter what. Adding southlink & BG03 may improve the "diversity" of the pollsters but it does nothing to improve the objectivity. Again, nothing against them personally -- it's akin to the Olympic pairs figure skating competition adding the French & Russian judges to the mix. It gives an appearance of bipartisanship only when the underlying premise, voting, is fundamentally wrong from the get go. I've been mistrustful of polls since the '83 AU team's experience with them.

I despise the BCS because of the method (polling) not the goal of determining a National Champion. IMHO, the only way we get a true NC is to have a multiple round playoff with no voting or polling involved -- the team that ultimately perseveres as the NC should prove it all on the field in competition. Period. Then there can be no dispute. Whether AU Nation has a weekly poll or not won't make one bit of difference towards that end. I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade or p*** in your cornflakes. No matter how much you say you're going to be fair & objective ... you can't do it. It's an illusion. Human nature says you're homerism re your team, division, conference, geographical region, run/pass orientation, defense/offense orientation or Hesiman candidates on your team is going to prevail. Count me in among those who aren't "excited" about this new AUNation feature. Carry on with your poll. :au: WDE

I think you will be very surprised when you see the results. Also, we have more credibility than the Harris poll because we don't have Lou Holtz participating.

I think you will be very surprised when you see the results. Also, we havem ore credibility than the Harris poll because we don't have Lou Holtz participating.

I am thinking Loggerhead is being a little facetious. I least I think he is.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I think you will be very surprised when you see the results. Also, we have more credibility than the Harris poll because we don't have Lou Holtz Irene Ryan participating.

Fixed that for ya.

I think you will be very surprised when you see the results. Also, we have more credibility than the Harris poll because we don't have Lou Holtz Irene Ryan participating.

Fixed that for ya.

I guess I could be more general and say everyone from the Harris poll?

Nope. I meant everything I wrote. (AWK, otoh, got in a little zinger at Lou Holtz -- not that it wasn't deserved.)

Nope. I meant everything I wrote. (AWK, otoh, got in a little zinger at Lou Holtz -- not that it wasn't deserved.)

Your kidding right? I thought you were trying to be funny to sound like a certain complainer that had already posted.

If you are not kidding, you do realize it is just for fun and it is not going to decide any kind of championship? :poke:

Your kidding right? I thought you were trying to be funny to sound like a certain complainer that had already posted.

:blink: My post wasn't a "complaint" by any definition of the word. It was strictly my opinion of polls.

If you are not kidding, you do realize it is just for fun and it is not going to decide any kind of championship? :poke:

Totally. Did you catch my edit where I added the poll from: Clucko the Chicken?

:blink: My post wasn't a "complaint" by any definition of the word. It was strictly my opinion of polls.

Totally. Did you catch my edit where I added the poll from: Clucko the Chicken?

Nope, did not catch the edit. That is why you should get the post right the first time. :moon:

Archived