1st Quarter Thoughts- MSU vs. USC

280TIGER

QUIZ - In terms of "firsts," (unless I'm wrong) a "first" happened in the MSU/USC game last night. What was it?

First time Spurrier hasd won Starkganistan.

Maybe true, but not what I was looking for. Sorry.

Either they have really good defenses or really bad offenses. None of the quarterbacks impressed me. The offensive linemen for both teams just weren't good. Georgia will take care of USC next week...

Well, we will see. An opening game @ night, on the road, in Starkville, on Thursday... :usc: may get better very fast now that Boyd knows he can run the ball. The D for :usc: looked pretty good. :usc: only touchdown coming on a trick play basically tells me that they really dont have a very talented O.

oh, and yeah....Erin Andrews is so HOTT!!!

The new clock rules will cause problems, coaches and the team better know what to do or there will be delay of game penalties.Erin Andrews, ok , she has some funky skinny arms. There was some hard hitting in that game. The trick play was vintage Spurrier.

Yeah, I’m not a big fan of the new clock rule. The game went by fast as in the actual time they were playing on the field, but the commercials are all still there. I rather see MORE football and a longer game than “keeping in a time slot.”

I think this will be an issue by the end of the year and it will change (unless the rules committee is more interested in the almighty dollar).

My quick thoughts on the game…

OK, so defenses are usually better this time of the year because the timing isn’t quit there yet on the offense. With that said, I think USC and MSU’s front 7 (line and lb’s) where pretty good. MSU’s safeties seemed to be the weak part of the defense. You can run on USC. Several times there were big holes for the MSU RB’s to run through.

As far as offense goes, MSU…stack the line, stop the run and they are done. Though I was impressed with the red shirt freshman that came in and was able to scramble and make something out of nothing, he was having a hard time reading what the d doing cover wise. That will get better next week, but I don’t think it will be enough to make that big of a difference when Auburn comes to town.

USC…still not sure how much they were showing. They may have been keeping in very vanilla for the UGA game. Even so, their o-line seemed weak. MSU blew their line up throughout the whole game. I would expect faster passes out of the pocket and screens to minimize the pressure.

Archived