Feds to Sue Stabler for $544K in back taxes.

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/breaking/..._09.html#178696

Friday, September 01, 2006

Feds sue to take Ken Stabler’s property for unpaid taxes

University of Alabama football broadcaster Ken Stabler has been sued by federal prosecutors who want to seize his South Alabama land to pay more than $500,000 of overdue personal and business taxes.

The civil suit was filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Mobile by the Tax Division of the Justice Department. It says the former Crimson Tide and Oakland Raiders standout quarterback owes $544,847 in unpaid federal taxes, and that his property in Mobile and Orange Beach should be seized and sold to pay the debt.

Robert Galloway, Stabler’s tax attorney, said today he has been negotiating with the Internal Revenue Service on his client’s behalf and that he expects the matter to be settled before any property is seized.

Stabler, scheduled to announce the radio broadcast of Alabama’s first 2006 football game at 6 p.m. Saturday, owes $241,565 in unpaid federal income taxes for 1999, 2000 and 2001, the lawsuit says.

His Stabler Co., which arranges speaking engagements for the member of the 1965 NCAA championship team, owes another $303,282 for unpaid income taxes, withholding taxes and penalties for filing incorrect returns, the suit says. The business taxes are owed for 1995, 1998, 1999 and 2000.

Russell Hubbard

Well, I hate to hear about anybody getting the IRS's attention.

On the other hand, don't you think Stabler sounds like a 3-pack-a-day drag queen? Remember Harvey Fierstein from the movie Independence Day? He sounds like Stabler.

I saw him today... talked to him... he couldn't have been nicer. Strange, I know.

I have actually met him also, during the 1999 Iron Bowl (I was filling in as press photographer that year for a local fishwrap). He did not know me from squat, but when I was up in the pressbox during halftime eating a gorgeous spread of a Thanskgiving meal, he plopped down in the seat next to me at the table I was eating at. He knew one of the other guys that was at the table with me, Steve Johnson, a sports reporter from WHNT 19 in Huntsville. Steve did not know me either, but just started talking to me like we were old buddies. Anyway, Stable sits down and also starts talking to me like I was a pal. Very nice guy to talk too and really smart when ti comes to the game. Which makes sense since he has pretty good credentials as a player. I know he probably figured I was a professional sports photographer or something, but it was still cool the way he shot the bull with me not even knowing me. Heck, I don't even know if he was calling the UAT games yet in 1999, but he was around there regardless. It is a shame that a guy with such a friendly personality has so many problems that he does.

Thoughts and prayers go out to Kenny in his time of need. As much as I despise most anything associated with the Univ of Alabama, I've always been a huge Ken Stabler fan, and have tried to model my life with the values that Stabler stands for. I always fish in all his tournaments, and there's always a rocking party afterwards. Actually in his book, Kenny really wanted to go to Auburn, he tought he fit their offensive style better.

On the other hand, don't you think Stabler sounds like a 3-pack-a-day drag queen? Remember Harvey Fierstein from the movie Independence Day? He sounds like Stabler.

My dad sent me something one time, I don't think I still have it, but it was a survey, and most people were oddly attracted to Kenny's voice, someone described it as the sirens(sp) in The Odyssey.

img_0029_small.jpg

Ken Stabler - #12 on the field, #1 in our hearts!

One things for sure, today, I will get as drunk as Ken Stabler at the 1982 Mullet Toss.

I saw him today... talked to him... he couldn't have been nicer. Strange, I know.

I have actually met him also, during the 1999 Iron Bowl (I was filling in as press photographer that year for a local fishwrap). He did not know me from squat, but when I was up in the pressbox during halftime eating a gorgeous spread of a Thanskgiving meal, he plopped down in the seat next to me at the table I was eating at. He knew one of the other guys that was at the table with me, Steve Johnson, a sports reporter from WHNT 19 in Huntsville. Steve did not know me either, but just started talking to me like we were old buddies. Anyway, Stable sits down and also starts talking to me like I was a pal. Very nice guy to talk too and really smart when ti comes to the game. Which makes sense since he has pretty good credentials as a player. I know he probably figured I was a professional sports photographer or something, but it was still cool the way he shot the bull with me not even knowing me. Heck, I don't even know if he was calling the UAT games yet in 1999, but he was around there regardless. It is a shame that a guy with such a friendly personality has so many problems that he does.

Cool story.

Yeah, I saw him at the Bryant museum yesterday. I didn't initiate conversation. I was just standing over there minding my own when he said "Young man, do you go to school here?" He then walked over and talked with me about the University and what I was apart of and yada yada yada... Yeah, it is a shame that he's had some troubles. He's seems like a top notch guy.

Personable guy or not, Ken is over HALF A MILLION DOLLARS behind in his taxes! All the charm in the world doesn't excuse anyone from being such a deadbeat. :thumbsdown: I'm sure, in his own special way, Al Capone was a "nice guy" too. You've had your party, Stabler. Now it's time to pay up.

Assuming that there isnt some runaway IRS agent somewhere...

I know what the Tide faithful would do if he was an :au: guy.

They would have fark after fark of slime and smear of Kenny calling him stupid, dumb, a barner, etc.

All I will say is that I am glad it was him and not me. my Dad went thru an audit back in 1972. My sisters and I hire a pro to do our taxes ever since. Spend a little money and get it done right.

Kenny, buddy, were you THAT drunk? Are you THAT Stupid? My God $544K in back taxes??????

Wow, just....Wow!

Don't get me wrong by my story guys, I think he pretty stupid for doing what he has done. He has shown a history of making dumb personal life decisions. I was just saying that that aside from that he is a very personable guys when alot of guys in his position would be snobby to people he did not know. Like I said, it is a shame that a guy with that kind of friendly personality has such a hard time making the righ decisions when it comes to his own life.

Archived