Two most important thoughts on the game.

DKW 86

Washington State Passing

C/ATT YDS TD INT

Brink 11/24 67 1 1

Rogers 6/9 83 1 0

1) Cougs had only 150 yds passing and 2 tds. 50 yards on one TD pass play on a busted coverage/blitz.

Not to play moral victory/charades here, but we were ONE PLAY away from holding a Top Rated Passing attack to 100 yrds with a bunch of inexperienced safeties. :bounce:

2) Where in the heck did that kicking game come from? We were pretty highly rated with a great O and very good D and good kicking game. Now erase that last comment and insert "Incredibly improved kicking game."

It may be that CTT quietly added another facet to the team while the rest of the world was staring at the O and wondering about the D. If you were excited about the season before this game, you might just need to calm down for a minute and consider what a great kicking game ADDS to all the other assets.

This maybe the best team we have had on the Plains in decades.

Why did they throw so few passes? All I heard coming in was that they were gonna sling it 60 times.

Freaking colt brennan threw it 44 times against bama. his arm must be tired.

i HATE HATE HATE seeing those weird/funky pass happy offenses that never run the ball.

Why did they throw so few passes? All I heard coming in was that they were gonna sling it 60 times.

Freaking colt brennan threw it 44 times against bama. his arm must be tired.

i HATE HATE HATE seeing those weird/funky pass happy offenses that never run the ball.

I think it might have been the 3 sacks within the first four passing plays WSU tried to run. That may have made them a little timid about dropping back much the rest of the game.

i thought it was a good overall performance. The only thing I thought needed work was the tackling. I was a little disappointed that WSU was able to run through as many tackles as they did in spots. I would have figured that with as physical a camp as they had this year, the tackling wouldn't be a problem. They will need to improve before they play better backs.

I was very proud of John Vaughn. I think he has been unfairly bashed in the past and I'm proud to see him silence the critics.

There is still a lot of work to be done, but I think this team can live up to the hype and then some.

Would have liked to see Vaughn go 5-5, but I thought he looked fantastic on his other kicks. The one that he missed wasn't a shank, just pulled it too far left. Sometimes that happens, but if he had gone 5-5 with all of those bombs can you imagine the level of confidence he would gain. Hopefullt the miss doesn't screw with his psyche. We all know kickers have trouble shaking things off.

On the D side, All we heard was how good the D line was. I was not impressed with the run stopping at all. The pass rush was very good early. However Wash St started to keep tight ends and backs in to help with the QB pressure. Also they went to timing routes with the QB stepping back and throwing. Even blitzing we couldn't to him anymore. Tackling needs vast improving. Way way too many arm tackles. They stepped up when they had to. Love Muschamp. Did you guys see when he just came unglued on Aron saviage when he blew that last TD assignment. Overall not too bad but needs improving.

On the O side, run blocking needs improving. We had a hard time blowing them off the ball. Pass blocking was excellent. The few sacks that the Cougars had, Cox just held the ball way too long. Wide recievers had a solid night. Nothing earth shattering yet, but they will get better. Kenny Irons is just FREAKIN AWESOME. Overall pretty pleased.

Teams improve more from week one to week two more than any other time. Go ahead and dig MISS ST a six foot grave.

Archived