One Bama fan's take on their new upper deck

TitanTiger

NORTH ENDZONE UPPERDECK SEATING: I got to sit there... Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but I'll be damn if I'm ever going to sit there again. Whoever the architect or firm was that designed that upperdeck piece of crap HAS to be embarrassed for putting their name on it. Worse, the Bama boys who approved the design should be "forced" to sit in it and see how much they like it.

Here's what we experienced:

GETTING TO OUR SEATS: 6-7 Stories of steps with a harsh steep angle that might as well been straight up. Hell! It was almost like climbing an escape ladder or climbing a rope with knots every foot. Just when we thought we got a rest at the bottom of the upper deck, we had to go "30" rows, AGAIN, almost straight up. Folks walking up the steep incline grabbed the hand railing in the center of the steps and had to PULL their way up each step. It was a terribly exhausting "CLIMB". At the top of the upper deck, GET THIS, our seats were about 15 - 18 rows higher than the highest rows on the East or West side of the stadium. Is this that much to complain about? Hell, yes. In fact, we were "EQUAL" to the height of the lights shinning onto the field.

WHILE I'M TALKING ABOUT THE VIEW OF THE FIELD: Let me say that the view of the field was pitiful. The helicopter flying over us was CLOSER to us than we were to the field. You are so friggin high and the angle to see the field was so steep, if the player running with the ball towards the South endzone fell, you had to take back 2 yards from where you "THOUGHT" the ball was down. Once, I thought we got tackled on the Hawaii 16-17 yard line. I was wrong, we were stopped on the 19. No way in hell can you see for sure where the ball is down. FURTHERMORE, that BIIIIIIG jumbotron at the South endzone is almost useless for the folks sitting at the top of the NORTH end of HELL. People were complaining about how they couldnt see the words on the screen. The best we could do was watch the replay and hope someone was lucky enough to make out what was put up in writing.

CONCESSIONS: I went to the concession stand at the beginning of the second quarter to beat the halftime rush. I returned to my seat "at the beginning of halftime". WHY? Because the proud architect/master of this disaster who designed the concession area called for "ONLY" 12 concession windows to service 10,000 fans AND they are about 25 feet across the breezeway from 50 million men and women's bathrooms. On top of that, "KIDS" about the age of 12 were taking the orders and money at the concessions and were as slow as snails. I was timing them with my CALENDER and listening to people complaing to the left and right of me. On top ot the concession issues, people trying to get to the bathrooms had to push folks in the concession lines to get inside them. This was truly and purely a disgusting and improperly planned expansion and a sickening experience. The lines to the bathrooom and concessions were backed up outside the portals and into the stands: all this was at the "beginning" of the 2nd quarter. I hated to think what folks were experiencing and saying at halftime. During my time in the concession line, I "tried" to watch the 2nd quarter on the tv monitors.

SPEAKING OF THE TV MONITORS: Who's the incompetent nincapoop handling the graphics between plays? Those of us waiting 45 minutes in the concession area were lucky to see "maybe" 15 plays of the second quarter because, for every play that was live, we saw 2-4 replays. By the time those replays were done, they showed a replay of the plays we missed because of the first set of replays were being shown so much. Many times, we had NO clue about how Bama or Hawaii jumped from 1st and 10 to punting on fourth down. NOONE should have to pay for tickets and spend an entire quarter of a game waiting in the concession area or fighting to get into a bathroom.

FUNCTIONALITY: Let me put it this way. The only functional part of the North endzone was everything from the skyboxes down. Everything above the skyboxes is a COMPLETE AND TOTAL rip-off. Tickets for this area need to be "GIVEN AWAY" instead of charged.

This definitely was the most disgusting, frustrating and sickening experience I have ever experienced at a sporting event. Nothing about it was family friendly. If you have any type of mild or moderate health issue, you surely dont need to be paying to sit there.

Our upper deck experience was purely sickening and a waste of money.

This post was edited on 9/3 12:03 AM by MrCrimson

Dang. Don't hold back dude.

Man Titan youve been on an anti bama tear the last couple of days...im gonna start calling you david :)

Basically that description is how i feel about EVERY upper deck ive ever sat in. Id rather watch a game on tv than sit in the upper deck.

I'd love to have seen this guy's opinion of the expansion if alabama had lost....

B)

Upper deck at UGA is not THAT bad but still average

I guess you are talking about the upper deck and not the upper upper deck.....

I am talking about the 3rd deck. I have sat in it. It is NOT terrible to get to nor is the seating that terrible. I was able to see the game fine and able to use the bathrooms without walking miles or waiting for hours.

A warning to all AU fans coming to the Iron Bowl....The new upper deck is the new vistor's section. B) If you don't like the sitting in Knoxville, you'll probably hate the new upper deck at BD.

A warning to all AU fans coming to the Iron Bowl....The new upper deck is the new vistor's section. B) If you don't like the sitting in Knoxville, you'll probably hate the new upper deck at BD.

There are also about 2,000 seats in the lower bowl in NN.

i thot the new upper deck was where the 'free concessions' area was for the season ticket purchases, as well as a locker for those who bought those tickets there...for storing your stuff from game to game. i cannot remember what the phrase is for those seats....

perhaps this fella was above that area :)

i have a friend who has 2 tickets in the new area...i'll get his take on it....

i've been on the dead-last row at neyland before...can't imagine anything being worse than that.

Man Titan youve been on an anti bama tear the last couple of days...im gonna start calling you david :)

Basically that description is how i feel about EVERY upper deck ive ever sat in. Id rather watch a game on tv than sit in the upper deck.

I don't particularly like the seating in upper decks either. But he just went on and on about everything from the bathrooms to the concessions to the closed circuit TVs.

And BG, c'mon...I'm an Auburn fan. That's anti-Bama by definition. :)

I'm going against the grain again. My season tickets are on the top row of the upper deck on the 50. My request each year is to either move to the lower deck on the sidelines or stay put. It is a hike to the top of the deck, but I have tree trunk thighs by the end of the season. I love the view from the nosebleed section, you see everything as it develops. The only element that I miss from sitting in the lower section (student section) is the stadium noise is not as prevalent in the upper deck.

i thot the new upper deck was where the 'free concessions' area was for the season ticket purchases, as well as a locker for those who bought those tickets there...for storing your stuff from game to game. i cannot remember what the phrase is for those seats....

perhaps this fella was above that area :)

i have a friend who has 2 tickets in the new area...i'll get his take on it....

i've been on the dead-last row at neyland before...can't imagine anything being worse than that.

There's nothing worse than Neyland. :puke:

I liked Neyland, but then again I was in the lower bowl sitting with the older section of UT fans and it was 04.

The lower section is actually OK, the upper decks (atleast where I sat in the vistor's section) is downright scarry.

Archived