Davis making impression

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg....xml&coll=3

Davis making impression

Safety's big hit against Washington State gets coaches' attention

Thursday, September 07, 2006

By EVAN WOODBERY

Sports Reporter

AUBURN -- Tristan Davis walked into the interview room Tuesday with his hair fashioned into a sort of Mohawk, accompanied by some braids on the side.

It looked like the head of Auburn's sophomore safety had been jolted by an electric current on the way to practice.

But Davis joked that the new hairstyle came from his teeth-rattling hit Saturday night on Washington State's DeMaundray Woolridge.

"It was standing straight up after the hit," he said.

Big hits get players noticed in coordinator Will Muschamp's defense, and Davis' hair-raising tackle Saturday night was one of the biggest.

His helmet-to-knee hit on Woolridge failed to dislodge the ball, and it left both players banged up. But it caught Muschamp's eye.

Even though Davis played only 15 snaps on Saturday night, Muschamp said he had moved up to co-starter at strong safety with Eric Brock. :thumbsup:

"We awarded him for that," Muschamp said. "That was a big lick in the game, especially as a third-down stop.

"He and Eric are bracketed with the first team, and whoever practices best will start Saturday."

Davis said he saw a big hit approaching since Woolridge was vulnerable as he tried to hold on to the ball.

"I thought I was going to be able to force the fumble," Davis said. "It was like he was fumbling the ball, and I was trying to put my helmet on the ball. Instead, his knee came up and he took himself out -- I just helped him with it."

Even coach Tommy Tuberville was impressed.

"He hit that guy pretty good," Tuberville said. "He came from nowhere. It was a pretty good lick."

Davis said he shook off the cobwebs and was feeling fine the next day. Now he hopes to earn the starting job for Saturday's Mississippi State game, and beyond.

"On the 15 plays I showed I did all my assignments correctly and I ran to the ball and I was playing very physical, running my legs," Davis said. "I try to run my feet and come up with big hits, and I came up with two pretty good hits."

Davis, a native of East Point, Ga., is one of the Tigers' fastest players. He played tailback and safety at Tri-Cities High, and has switched back and forth between those two positions in college.

After redshirting in 2004, Davis saw action at both safety and running back last year. His most memorable day was Nov. 5 at Kentucky, when he rushed eight times for 162 yards, including a 75-yard touchdown run in the third quarter.

Not long after that performance, Davis was back at safety. He expressed mild disappointment at the time, but Davis clearly has more opportunities for playing time on defense.

Plus, he still gets to touch the ball on special teams. Davis had kickoff returns of 30 and 37 yards Saturday night. The latter return was only one cut away from being a much longer run, or even a touchdown.

"That was exciting," he said. "I know everybody is waiting on me, asking me during the week when I was going to take one to the house. I did the best I could. I was very close. I had good blocking."

Davis hopes to get another chance Saturday in Starkville. As for whether he'll be doing it with his new hairdo, Davis was non-committal.

The Mohawk look was inspired by his nickname of "Wild Child."

"I think the wildest thing I could do is this," he said. "I'll probably do something different (on Saturday), but it'll be the same type of deal."

That young man can F L Y ! ! !

If there is a faster player in the SEC, I would like to see him.

very impressive talent. hope he continues to shine for us

TD will have at least 2 kickoff returns for a touchdown this year. I won't be suprised to see CAB put in a special reverse play just for him or design some kind of a play to get him the ball on O. With his running ability they should incorporate him in to the O somehow. He is way too talented not to put the ball in his hands. Yes, Tim he is blazing fast!!!!!!!

Guest BoStillKnows
TD will have at least 2 kickoff returns for a touchdown this year. I won't be suprised to see CAB put in a special reverse play just for him or design some kind of a play to get him the ball on O. With his running ability they should incorporate him in to the O somehow. He is way too talented not to put the ball in his hands. Yes, Tim he is blazing fast!!!!!!!

I think you're right on the kick-off returns. His speed should allow him to make quite a few interceptions too, especially early when the opposing quarterbacks can't gauge it.

I also think he should play on offense.I mean look at the Kentucky game,has he gotten the ball on offense since?I'm sure he will do well on defense but I would use him more.

Archived