Georgia Highlites: Massaquoi and Stafford

DKW 86

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/u...907ganotes.html

Massaquoi demoted; Raley will start

By CARTER STRICKLAND

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/07/06

Athens — Mohamed Massaquoi, Georgia's top wide receiver a year ago, has been moved out of the starting lineup in favor of senior Mario Raley.

"[Massaquoi] is one of the hardest workers that we have," receivers coach John Eason said Wednesday. "But there were just some little things in terms of assignments and just route running effort. I felt like it could have been better."

Massaquoi had one catch for 2 yards in Saturday's rout of Western Kentucky. Raley's one catch was an 18-yard touchdown.

Junior receiver A.J. Bryant (no catches) also has been moved into the starting lineup for Saturday's SEC opener at South Carolina. He replaces Kenneth Harris (one catch, 33 yards).

Bryant has never started a game at Georgia. Raley started one game, in 2003.

"If [Raley and Bryant] perform, they stay in the starting lineup," Eason said. "If they don't, they move down. They have been waiting for this opportunity, and you find out Saturday whether they are going to take advantage of it."

Raley's wait has been the longest. But for the longest time, the effort was not there, coach Mark Richt said.

"No disrespect to him, and I love Mario, but Mario spent more time telling us how good he was gonna do and then he finally started showing us what he was gonna do," Richt said. "And that made all the difference in the world."

Freshman Allen will return punts

Georgia will have four suspended players out: linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, cornerback/return man Thomas Flowers and offensive linemen Daniel Inman and Ian Smith.

Where the suspensions could have the biggest effect is punt returner. Mikey Henderson has been battling a hamstring issue and is doubtful, leaving the job to true freshman Asher Allen. South Carolina utilizes a rugby style punt-and-roll scheme that's difficult to prepare for.

Jacksonville takes more security steps

Georgia, Florida and Jacksonville have come together to establish more safety measures for "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party." A student "safe zone" will be established near the landing area to meet missing friends and access support services. Police will have an increased presence.

"After losing two students in the past two years during the Florida-Georgia game weekend, we have a responsibility to do all we can to make the game as safe as possible," UF President Bernie Machen said in a statement.

Kiper: Stafford will be No. 1 in NFL draft

Here is what NFL draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. had to say about Georgia's freshman quarterback on ESPN Radio: "Matthew Stafford eventually will be the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft. Write that down."

Mel Kiper is becoming a younger version of Beano Cook. " Ron Powlus will win three Heisman Trophy's before he leaves Notre Dame" :roflol::roflol::roflol:

The whole MM thing is being over-blown. He will see more plays then any other WR. This is more of a motivational thing and from what I hear, he is the hardest working WR on the team, ala another Reggie Brown workethic wise so I am not worried.

As for Stafford, give me a break. Let's see him lead us to some W's before we say that stuff.

Remember, that is NOT a UGA fan saying that BUT you will find some (especially on the internet) who would agree with it.

The whole MM thing is being over-blown. He will see more plays then any other WR. This is more of a motivational thing and from what I hear, he is the hardest working WR on the team, ala another Reggie Brown workethic wise so I am not worried.

As for Stafford, give me a break. Let's see him lead us to some W's before we say that stuff.

Remember, that is NOT a UGA fan saying that BUT you will find some (especially on the internet) who would agree with it.

Slink, outside ot Prothro, Massaquoi was the scariest receiver we have played since Michael Clayton at :lsu:

I would take MM in a second. Scary good.

It strikes me as a motivational "thing" too but I am a little confused about why you would need to pull a motivational stunt on the "hardest working WR on the team." He doesn't need the motivation and if it is to motivate other players, why would they respond to a demotion of such a hard worker. It just seems wierd.

It strikes me as a motivational "thing" too but I am a little confused about why you would need to pull a motivational stunt on the "hardest working WR on the team." He doesn't need the motivation and if it is to motivate other players, why would they respond to a demotion of such a hard worker. It just seems wierd.

Not weird at all. MM ran the wrong route 2 times and dropped one pass. The other WR's that moved ahead of him Raley and Bryant both played perfectly. Richt has been known to do this before and is doing it again.

As someone said on the Insiders board, Richt will put in MM more then any other WR this weekend.

It's Richt's way of telling MM he needs to step it up. Look for a big game from him on Saturday and the game will be over by the 4th quarter.

NEVER doubt Mark R. He has the talent and staff to win the SEC again.

Archived