Why does Auburn get no national respect?

tigerfan1234

This post did not get started because of any LSU Tiger forum. I can promise you that. I know it is a long season and Auburn is by no means a guaranteed undefeated team, but the writing is on the wall for a repeat of 2004. If you guys don't see it then you are crazy. ESPN has dissed Auburn all season and the coaches poll vaulted USC over Auburn already. I don't want to be a pessimist, but Auburn does not control their own destiny. Teams like Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, and Louisville are right there with us. We will get snubbed again if there are three undefeateds and we are one of them. Count on it. The website I was on is already talking about how Auburn's out of conference schedule is a joke again and it is their fault if they get snubbed again.

What would be worse - going 14-0 and not being a part of a national championship or losing a game or two along the way and not even having the chance?

Be happy that we've got a great team again this year. Be happy that we have a coach that is now producing that kind of team year in and year out. And for the love of Pete, please get off the "If we win the next 11 games..." train...you realize that's nearly 80% of the entire season that we have yet to play?!

Enjoy this while it's happening and quit whining like a bunch of bammers. We should all have a week-long smile after that game on Saturday.

WDE :au:

This is my first post here and surely not my last, you Auburn fans kind of grow on me. I'm an old LSU fan from the day living in Texas. Been to enough games to realize that Auburn fans are passionate as the Tiger fans (sorry, that's what we call ourselves)

What I think is going to happen is you guy's have another undefeated run, but so does Ohio St., USC and West Virginia and they decide to take you guy's vs. the team they call the buckeyes. Yeah, you'll be there no doubt, but the beauty of the whole thing is USC will be left out (due to recruiting issues, for some reason I see that becoming a problem later in the year) . Another way for the NCAA to get attention but not have to talk about the playoff issue.

Anyway guy's/gal's -- that was the hardest hitting game I've seen in all my year's of watching football. Each team took poundings from each side. Awesome!

Good call's or bad call's I'm happy to be a LSU fan and I'm happy we only were beaten by 4 pts to a team I think will be playing in the National Championship Game -- Don't disappoint me or the SEC.

We get no media love? Maybe we should make like USC and make our schedule every year more cupcake than the last and do nothing but slate weak teams like Buffalo, UL-M, Citadel, Alabama, UCF, Arkansas State, etc, etc. Then for good measure schedule a few "conference" games like MSU, OM, and Vandy. Seriously, is this NOT what USC does??? Play sucky out of conference teams and sucky conference teams? Seems to work for them. <_<

We appear to be the dominant program in the nation right now. If the media is too biased and stupid to see that then they can just get bent.

I think AU get's respect nationally.

I think the way to get a LOT of it is to win a NC.

Now, with that said, AU should have played for one in 2004 so you all got screwed.

auburn's media respect discussion on this forum his getting old like moldy bread. it is about as pointless as the PI call this last saturday. we have tons of football left to play and possibly a SEC Championship Game to play.

I don't know if anybody here met Scott Van Pelt of ESPN SportsCenter during Saturday's game. He was over at Toomer's and I walked up to him, shaked his hand and we chatted a little. I told him to tell the Gameday crew how awesome Auburn is playing and he agreed with me, saying that he tells them all the time. Then the next day on Sunday while he was doing some highlight reels from the NFL he mentioned Rudi Johnson and slipped in a "War Eagle" :)

I think we're slowly getting some media love. It's better than nothing

I saw that "War Eagle" for Rudi...very cool! :)

:au::homer:

I hate to say it but I think it's also because not many people outside of the south have heard of Auburn. I will tell people here in Texas that I used to go to Auburn and 9 times out of 10, they just give me a blank look and I have to explain that it's in Alabama etc. Even then, they assume it was just a small school and they look flabbergasted when I say it has ~25,000 students.

IF we run the table - I don't see how Auburn could be kept from going to the National Championship. I suppose this is a real possibility, but how is the BCS standings based upon? If the strength of schedule is any part of this, then I would assume AU's would be ranked higher than OS & USC's. I assume this based upon top 10/25 matchup's.

I would literally :puke: if AU gets screwed out of the title game AGAIN! This would taint my opinion of the BCS and college football forever. This would be a first that the same school ran the table 2 out of 3 years in arguably the top 1/2 conferences in the country and not get a title shot! It would ruin college football.

Two BIG reasons not yet mentioned why we get bumped down or out @ the first pollster opportunity:

1. Shug instilled the "be happy w/ what ya got and let the hot air emit from Tuscaloosa" in us. We're the Chicago Cubs attitude of college football (just look back on all the be-satisfied, don't-whine posts on this thread). People, if we're getting marginal respect from ANY major media after beating #6, it's something to think about regardless of what point it is in the season. We should be STOWING AWAY BROWNEY POINTS IN POLLSTERS BRAINS with this win because we'll need them when we beat UF and USC has a quality win of their own. THAT's the lesson from '04, it's not just how good we are, it's whether before the bowls we're perceived as being better than all but one other team!

2. Say what you want about Housel, but we have NEVER had an Auburn propaganda machine like him. The losers in Bamaland are brilliant @ spinning themselves...which the media (there's that ugly word again) eats up. Screw the humility angle, we need to scream when we get unfairly dissed during a 14 game season.

If the strength of schedule is any part of this, then I would assume AU's would be ranked higher than OS & USC's.

Thats the thing... I think SOS is left out of the BCS from now on. So teams from a weak conf. such as the Pac-10 really have an advantage over the SEC.

The thing is SOS is not left out of the BCS. The computer rankings still use them and they are part of the formula. So far according to Sagarin we are 5th in the nation. They use the ELO_CHESS part of the link.

Here is the top 5 as of now:

1. USC

2. Michigan

3. Ohio State

4. Florida

5. Auburn

6. Boston College

7. Oregon

8. Iowa

9. Oklahoma

10. Georgia

Auburn has the 51st rank SOS while Florida has the 48th. USC has the 11th, Michigan has the 47th, and Ohio State has the 37th. ND has the 9th and Air Force is number 1 in SOS. Its interesting to see his idiocrocy each week.

Oh and the PAC-10 is the toughest conference with the SEC coming in at number 3 behind Big10

See for yourself

Any "Top 10" that includes Boston College, Oregon and Oklahoma, but leaves out LSU, is stupid. I don't think you can "ELO-CHESS" that away. The oldest computer axiom in the book is "garbage in garbage out.

Archived