Why does Auburn get no national respect?

tigerfan1234

I was on another football forum and a guy brought up a scenerio with Ohio State, USC, and Auburn going undefeated. If this were to happen and that is a big if, then he says Auburn would get left out because Ohio State and USC "sell" better. Why the lack of interest and respect for Auburn? Louisville, who has only been a player for six years or so gets all kinds of love from the national media, but Auburn who has been playing good ball for 110 years gets treated like a second class citizen in the college football world. Auburn has great traditions, a great sponsor now in Under Armour, nice colors, huge stadium, many players in the NFL, a good academic reputation, and a large alumni base so why do peope elsewhere not acknowledge our exsistence. There are other schools out there that get second class treatment as well so this post is also for them, but since we are on the Auburn board and I am an Auburn grad, I want to hear your thoughts.

We're not the only ones. It's the love afair with the big 10, pac 10 etc. Don't forget, in '66, Bamar was undefeated, and ND and MSU tied at the end of the season. ND and MSU were made CO-Champions...and Bamar was left THIRD!!!

It's the South in general that they don't like. And they know that the best football is plauyed here...and they don't like it. "How can we be soooo smart, and still lose to those rednecks....?" :)

:au::homer:

It's pretty simple and it's the reason LSU didn't win the AP National Championship in 2003. Where are your big press/media hubs located? West Coast (California), Northeast (New York), and Midwest (Chicago). Those writers are just like everyone else, when it comes to placing votes, you're probably going to vote for your favorite team, or if your favorite team sucks, you'll vote for a school in your region. That's why the SEC never, and I mean NEVER, gets the respect it deserves. The unfortunate thing is that the AP poll is a BIG determining factor in the BCS and as we all know, that's the real National Championship (did you hear that USC fans, the REAL National Championship). Geaux Tigers!! :lsu:

A couple of reasons:

Auburn does not win "sexy". We do not throw up huge offensive numbers like Louisville does.

We have played good football in the past, but we have not had the perennial good teams like a Michigan or Ohio State. It sounds hokey, but if you were considered a good team in the 50's and 60's it seems like you get your credit a lot easier. Louisville will disappear in a heartbeat if they stop throwing up their huge numbers or stop beating the crap out of teams like Miami.

And there is a lot of regional bias. People look at things like the Auburn-Wisconsin game last year and say "They might be good, but they are not as good as <insert random northern team here> because they beat them bloody". Bowl games are not good match ups because the teams have differing goals. Some see the trip as a chance to relax and enjoy the trip, Others see it as a way to give an outgoing coach a big win.

The unfortunate thing is that the AP poll is a BIG determining factor in the BCS

As of last year the AP poll has nothing to do with the BCS championship standings, per the AP's request.

The unfortunate thing is that the AP poll is a BIG determining factor in the BCS

As of last year the AP poll has nothing to do with the BCS championship standings, per the AP's request.

...yes...and we were huge in the '50's. It's the regional bias thing.

Why can't we get a national media outlet in Atlanta or New Orleans or Memphis or Nashville to even out the coverage? The south is not some podunck backwoods place anymore. There is not one big city in Oklahoma, Nebraska or Iowa, but these places have great football schools that get much love from the media. As I said earlier, this thread includes alot of other schools, but I am an Auburn fan so I am really concerned for Auburn. If we can't have a chnace to gain respect on the field due to the bias then why bother getting hyped up for the season? LSU most definitley won the title outright in 2003 and they get no love for that season. It is pretty crappy if you ask me. There is so much corruption going on today in the college football world that I am finding myself getting less interested in the season. If all 118 teams can't have a fair shot at competing for all the marbles then why do we have 118 teams? It is just plain stupid to put 118 teams in Division 1A, but tell 85 of them that you are really not on the same level so don't get your hopes up because it won't happen. You will not get invited to the national title game even if you beat everyone to a pulp because Billy Bob in Califonia or New York won't tune in to watch you play on January 4th. Just plain garbage.

How about we quit worrying so much about media respect and let our guys get the respect on the field? If we "gorilla dunk" (BG term) on everyone that's put in front of us, who cares what the bean counters at ABC/ESPN think about us? We're in a position that if we keep winning, we'll get our shot in the end. This is not 2004!!!

Also, quit reading into the crap over there at TF.com because I know that's where this all came from. They're (understandably) grasping for any kind of dig they can get on Auburn at this point because they know they won't make it to Atlanta this year.

The answer to this is pretty simple.

Most of the people who are now in a position to determine rankings, coverage, etc. had their football perception forged in the 1970s. Most of them are in their 40s and 50s and when they think of "great" football they don't remember Auburn. They remember those great Oklahoma teams, Notre Dame, USC, Bo Schembechler, Woody Hayes. And yes, Alabama. It's the reason now that whenever UA wins a game against a semi-decent team, they vault into the polls. It's a name the people who vote in those things, but live outside the sphere of Southern football, remember. They think "oh, Alabama, they're always good" even when the truth is they haven't been THAT Alabama for 25 years. When it comes to Auburn, we just weren't that consistent back in the day and it's the point of reference the people have. If you showed them our performance over the last four years, most would be surprised. WE know we've beaten Alabama four straight and won something like 18 of 19 SEC games, but I doubt you could find a dozen poll voters who realize that.

When it comes to Louisville or WV, that happens every year. There's a sexy new kid and they think they are being "up to date" and "open minded" by heaping praise on them. WVU used to be BYU. Louisville used to be Boston College. They're flashy, they're new. AU, like it or not, is still seen by far too many of these guys as a pretty basic conservative team.

One thing not mentioned is that the south/sec is our own enemy. In 2004, sec coaches would not even vote AU #2. This was out of jealousy and fear that if AU won it all, it would hurt their recruiting. I bet the other conferences stood together to promote and vote for their teams. We can't count on our own conference for any help. Slive is no Crammer. Slive does not have the power Crammer had. Other conferences and regions of the country did not like the power Crammer had and now have a way to retaliate. CBS has no power in college football. All we can do is win on the field and let the chips fall where they may. Unfortunately, we have very little control off of the field.

This post did not get started because of any LSU Tiger forum. I can promise you that. I know it is a long season and Auburn is by no means a guaranteed undefeated team, but the writing is on the wall for a repeat of 2004. If you guys don't see it then you are crazy. ESPN has dissed Auburn all season and the coaches poll vaulted USC over Auburn already. I don't want to be a pessimist, but Auburn does not control their own destiny. Teams like Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, and Louisville are right there with us. We will get snubbed again if there are three undefeateds and we are one of them. Count on it. The website I was on is already talking about how Auburn's out of conference schedule is a joke again and it is their fault if they get snubbed again.

Okay, but when December comes around and we get dissed again I'll be on here saying I told you so. I really am not whining. This is a problem in college football because there are many teams out there that have no real shot at competing for the title. Don't have 118 Division 1A teams if only 25 really matter.

Okay, but when December comes around and we get dissed again I'll be on here saying I told you so. I really am not whining. This is a problem in college football because there are many teams out there that have no real shot at competing for the title. Don't have 118 Division 1A teams if only 25 really matter.

Won't matter if we don't take care of business, starting this Saturday.

Auburn isn't a large market. Our fan base is generally limited to Alumni or family members of Alumni. With that in mind, we just general don't pull that national attention. THEN...throw into the mix that because (and any other SEC school) is on CBS, we will never get that national "push" as from ESPN or ABC (which are much more committed to college football)

We are getting fan attention on ESPN.com...

They still have that poll up and with 200K+ votes Auburn has over 100K for "who should be ranked 2nd"...

If it were a presidential election we'd have 437 votes to USC's 102 to WV's 5...

I think that Media attention will soon follow.. :)

Auburn isn't a large market. Our fan base is generally limited to Alumni or family members of Alumni. With that in mind, we just general don't pull that national attention. THEN...throw into the mix that because (and any other SEC school) is on CBS, we will never get that national "push" as from ESPN or ABC (which are much more committed to college football)

I am told that the largest AU alumni base is here in Atlanta. That said...we need to do a better job of OWNING the media over here! <_<

I don't know if anybody here met Scott Van Pelt of ESPN SportsCenter during Saturday's game. He was over at Toomer's and I walked up to him, shaked his hand and we chatted a little. I told him to tell the Gameday crew how awesome Auburn is playing and he agreed with me, saying that he tells them all the time. Then the next day on Sunday while he was doing some highlight reels from the NFL he mentioned Rudi Johnson and slipped in a "War Eagle" :)

I think we're slowly getting some media love. It's better than nothing

We are getting fan attention on ESPN.com...

They still have that poll up and with 200K+ votes Auburn has over 100K for "who should be ranked 2nd"...

If it were a presidential election we'd have 437 votes to USC's 102 to WV's 5...

I think that Media attention will soon follow.. :)

I voted for you as well as all my friends and people I got it out to on my email list.

Look, IF Auburn wins out....big big IF then I think the story will shift to the BCS is BS and there needs to be a playoff system..if Auburn gets slighted again. But, it's been said over and over, there are sooooo many more games to go. Lot's of good teams a head.

I don't know if anybody here met Scott Van Pelt of ESPN SportsCenter during Saturday's game. He was over at Toomer's and I walked up to him, shaked his hand and we chatted a little. I told him to tell the Gameday crew how awesome Auburn is playing and he agreed with me, saying that he tells them all the time. Then the next day on Sunday while he was doing some highlight reels from the NFL he mentioned Rudi Johnson and slipped in a "War Eagle" :)

I think we're slowly getting some media love. It's better than nothing

yea I heard that slip in there and before I realized it was Scott Van Pelt I thought I was going to have a heart attack (as if the ones during the game on Sat. weren't enough)...I didn't realize he was here at the game though. I say Scott should be doing gameday :cheer:

Scott Van Pelt absolutely LOVES auburn, here's an article he wrote during the 2004 season after the UGA game...

Scott Hearts AU

THIS Scott Van Pelt?

sure looks like him.

sportscenter.jpg

On the question at hand, I don't believe Auburn will be left out in the cold this year because we're going to post numbers they can't resist.

I had a few beers and hung out with him after the LSU game at a downtown bar. He is/has been dating a friend of mine I went to school with (at Auburn). He was wearing a Auburn hat that night also. I told him that they needed to send Lou to the retirement home and he agreed. He loves Auburn and I told him to knock some sense into the rest of the idiots at ESPN. He is a super nice guy.

Archived