Can a Punter Win The Heisman?

lsuj2006

Let me say first of all, that I attended the game Saturday (from the LSU Band seats... who da thunk?) and it was one of the most intense and exciting bits of SEC football I have ever seen. Both teams really played their hearts out and (as I think most AU fans would agree) its tough to see anyone lose that game.

Secondly, Kody Bliss is phenominal. He's the reason AU wins the game in my book. Vaughn on the other hand..... lets just say the band got a hardy laugh at his FG try. :P

So I'd just like to say, thanks for the hospitality. Most people I came in contact with were great. Of course, I heard some pretty obscene stuff when we paraded into and out of the stadium, but you can expect that in SEC fans I suppose.

So here's to a AU vs. Ohio State MNC game. And possibly a LSU vs. USC Rose Bowl???? How cool would that be!!

Thanks again, and good luck the rest of the way.

A punter has never won the Heisman, but there are always firsts for everything. I don't see it happening because all of the previous recipients have been RBs, QBs, HBs and WRs with two Es receiving the award. Kind strange, but there has never been a place kicker to win the Heisman. So, I don't think it will happen, but there have been stranger occurences.

Let me say first of all, that I attended the game Saturday (from the LSU Band seats... who da thunk?) and it was one of the most intense and exciting bits of SEC football I have ever seen. Both teams really played their hearts out and (as I think most AU fans would agree) its tough to see anyone lose that game.

Secondly, Kody Bliss is phenominal. He's the reason AU wins the game in my book. Vaughn on the other hand..... lets just say the band got a hardy laugh at his FG try. :P

So I'd just like to say, thanks for the hospitality. Most people I came in contact with were great. Of course, I heard some pretty obscene stuff when we paraded into and out of the stadium, but you can expect that in SEC fans I suppose.

So here's to a AU vs. Ohio State MNC game. And possibly a LSU vs. USC Rose Bowl???? How cool would that be!!

Thanks again, and good luck the rest of the way.

I agree.... Punting won that slugfest... That was probably one of the most hard hitting games I've seen in a while.

Anyways, hope you had a great time in Auburn. You should stick around and post more often B)

If it were possible for a punter to win the Heisman Trophy, Ray Guy would have won it ... during my college days I went to a game just to watch him punt ... he was totally unbelievable. Bliss's two 60-yarders made be think back to Guy's punting days.

First of all, thanks for the kind words about Bliss and AU's victory. It relects your level of class.

Bliss is averaging over 48-yds per punt this season and Matt Clark has made 18 kickoffs with 15 going for touchbacks. Playing on a short field will continue to be a key to success for AU this season.

I am going to assume it is theoretically possible for any player to win, including the holder on field goals. Assuming this is true, then for a punter to have a chance to win, he would probably have to fake a punt and pass several occasions and all of those would need to be touchdowns, or tuck it and run it in for a touchdown every now and then. On top of that, when he actually punted the ball, it would have to be for at least a 55 yard average and always land dead at the 1.

Just my guess.

You should stick around and post more often B)

Yeah, I kinda miss it... :(

I've just been so busy. Tiger Band is usually either taking up my free time, or leaving me exhausted in my free time. But I'm sure as both of our season's play out, I'll stick around more. Now that we lost to AU, nothing would make me happier than to see them go on to dominate the rest of their games including in NC. That would mean we were 3 yards or a broken tackle away from being the national champs! B)

Archived