Great article about the SC game from the Auburner

Ranger12

I love these guys. They have they right attitude and know how to look at games with the right perspective if you ask me. I included just a portion, but you would do good to go check out the whole article.

ESPN dwelled on the ‘Kenny Irons returns to USC’ story before the game. However, the real story of the day was the matchup between offensive masterminds Steve Spurrier (winner of the 1966 Heisman Trophy) and Al Borges (winner of the 1966 County Fair Pie Eating Contest).

Borges’ victory over Spurrier was much like his pie eating victory. Both tasted very sweet, but when the final whistle blew, Borges probably felt like throwing up.

Auburn had the football the entire third quarter, and yet South Carolina had the ball longer than we did throughout the game. Most every aspect of the game was weird like that.

For example, Kenny Irons was an emotional wreck going into this game. While thrashing for 10 yards per carry in the opening drive, he was crying the entire time. He kept screaming at Spurrier,

“When will you love and accept me, Coach Holtz!?!?”

Spurrier tried his hardest to get Kenny to understand that he wasn’t Lou Holtz, but before he could, Al Borges called for that onside kick and Spurrier passed due to sheer amazement. Courtney Taylor was able to calm Kenny down a bit and to focus on the game a bit more (before his fourth quarter SLAM DUNK into the end zone). It really makes me happy to see teammates helping each other like that. Great work Taylor. However, I was VERY disappointed in what Brandon Cox did after Spurrier passed out. He grabbed a permanent marker from the sideline, walked over to an unconscious Spurrier and wrote “I like Cox” on his forehead while yelling "It's spelt... WITH AN X". That was a VERY unclassy move Brandon. Tuberville should suspend you for the Arkansas Tulane game (so not to punish the entire team).

Link

Archived