Biggest Game in AU history?

TigerMom

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best game I attended was probably beating Fla in 01. We had some crappy years in my tenure there - 98-02. That was such a fun game - at night, in the rain, beating the #1 team in the country when we def weren't supposed to. I'll never forget the chaos in the student section when that kick split the uprights. One of my friends who ran on the field was immediately tackled by a cop and arrested right in front of me. I changed my mind pretty quickly about my trek to the goalpost.

Then I'd have to say uga and lsu 04, and then bama last year to make it 4 in a row(11 sacks). After that, going to Tenn in 04 and spanking em at home and then the SEC champ game. I saw some pretty good games in 04.

Overall I would say maybe not the most important in terms of national standing, but the biggest was probably the first Iron Bowl in Jordan-Hare. I think any AU alum that was old enough in the 70's and 80's to realize the importance of that game will tell you that. My mom has her ticket stub and program framed in the downstairs hallway of their house.

The worst game(it was still a good game) but worst in terms of heartbreaking was uga 02 - the catch. I was on the first row in the first section going down the sideline in the student section and saw that catch right in front of my eyes. I don't know that I've ever been as dissapointed in my life. My last home game as a student had to end like that.

The implications are extremely minimal.

Uhhhh . . . I'm sorry . . . WHAT?!?!?!? Both teams are in in the think of the SEC championship race, and at least one is in the thick of the national title race, and you say the implications are extremely minimal? That statement is so ridiculous, I don't even know how to (begin to) respond . . . except to say that, if that's your attitude, I'd ask you to give up your ticket (if you have one) and stay home Saturday night - we need real :au: fans in the stands!!

The implications are extremely minimal.

Uhhhh . . . I'm sorry . . . WHAT?!?!?!? Both teams are in in the think of the SEC championship race, and at least one is in the thick of the national title race, and you say the implications are extremely minimal? That statement is so ridiculous, I don't even know how to (begin to) respond . . . except to say that, if that's your attitude, I'd ask you to give up your ticket (if you have one) and stay home Saturday night - we need real :au: fans in the stands!!

Do you understand what the topic of the thread is? BIGGEST, as in the most important, most meaningful, most prolific game to date! Now, as far as the season is concerned, yes, it is certainly fair to assert that this is the biggest game of the season, although that is debatable giving consideration to the Iron Bowl. However, even if our Tigers are to win this game, there is no guarantee that we will make it to the National Championship or even the SEC Championship game. Do you understand? By the way, I am going to the game this weekend and will be cheering as emotionally as the next guy.

Do you understand what the topic of the thread is? BIGGEST, as in the most important, most meaningful, most prolific game to date! Now, as far as the season is concerned, yes, it is certainly fair to assert that this is the biggest game of the season, although that is debatable giving consideration to the Iron Bowl. However, even if our Tigers are to win this game, there is no guarantee that we will make it to the National Championship or even the SEC Championship game. Do you understand?

I understand that you said that this weekend's gave has "extremely minimal" implications. I don't care what the parameters of the discussion are, that's a ridiculous statement.

By the way, I am going to the game this weekend and will be cheering as emotionally as the next guy.

Notwithstanding my comment above, I appreciate the clarification. Give 'em hell. :au:

we need real :au: fans in the stands!!

It's not up to you, Francis, to determine who is and who isn't a "real" Auburn fan.

You must see the world very clearly from up on that high horse.

1989 Alabama biggest ever. End of discussion.

Correct.

Guest BoStillKnows
QUOTE(RadioWryn @ Oct 10 2006, 10:38 PM)

Ditto that.

Alabama 10-0...and Bill Curry got spanked by Auburn again...and got fired...I had that ticket made into a paperweight...it's awesome...what a great day that was!!!

QUOTE(RadioWryn @ Oct 10 2006, 10:38 PM)

Ditto that.

Alabama 10-0...and Bill Curry got spanked by Auburn again...and got fired...I had that ticket made into a paperweight...it's awesome...what a great day that was!!!

Also, wasn't Alabama undefeated coming into Jordan-Hare?

This game is huge because the reputation of Auburn's program is on the line after the embarrassing loss to a bad Arkansas team. The loss brought up a bunch of bad memories for AU fans and the rest of the college football world. Everyone is watching to see if CTT and Auburn have retured to the 7-5 to 9-3 type seasons that were typical of CTT before his big 2004 season or if AU has really turned the corner and the Arkansas game was just a fluke. If we lose this game, there will be some real damage.

It's not up to you, Francis, to determine who is and who isn't a "real" Auburn fan.

You're the one on a horse with your determinations of who is and who isn't an Auburn fan based on criteria you determined yourself. Nobody really cares what your snitty definition of what an Auburn fan is. Some of us -- in fact most of the ones here I know -- have earned our stripes and we don't need some noodle-neck to tell us whether or not we're "true" fans.

You're the one on a horse with your determinations of who is and who isn't an Auburn fan based on criteria you determined yourself. Nobody really cares what your snitty definition of what an Auburn fan is. Some of us -- in fact most of the ones here I know -- have earned our stripes and we don't need some noodle-neck to tell us whether or not we're "true" fans.

I haven't "determined" any "criteria," and I didn't gave a definition - "snitty," or otherwise - regarding "what a real Auburn fan is," and I wouldn't presume to. That said, do you seriously think that the statement that that the implications of this weekend's game (given, among other things, that we're hosting the #2 team in the nation, that a win keeps :au: in the SEC championship hunt, puts :au: right back in the race for a BCS bowl and within shouting distance of the BCS title race - and, only slightly less significantly, that I HATE Florida!!! ;) ) are "extremely minimal" - no matter what the context - reflects that the person who made it has "earned [their] stripes" as an :au: fan?? (The implication - clearly, I thought - was that, just b/c we lost to :arky: , we might as well write off the rest of the year.) That was the initial statement, and I stand by my response. Rugby made a clarification, and I accepted it and revised my response accordingly. Move on.

Well, actually, since I'm up on my horse, while I encourage you to disagree with me all day long if that's your wish, please give the name-calling a rest. I know I'm not one of the old guard around here, but I've never stooped to that kind of nonsense. (And I'd like to think that if I ever did, I'd come up with something better than "Francis" or "noodle-neck. B) )

Whewww, I feel better. NOW move on.

WAR EAGLE!! BEAT UF !!

:au:

The outcome of this game would have to be something extremely special for it to remembered as one of the greatest or biggest. For now, it definitely isn't. The implications are extremely minimal.

The implications of the UF game this week are monumental! Minimal? Are you kidding?! The whole season, at this point, rides on this game. Win, and we have shot at Atlanta and an SEC Crown. Lose, and it's off to Shreport, Nashville, or Tampa. The implications are HUGE!

For me personaly, it was 1991, Auburn beat Ole Miss 21-13, or something like that. Went on to have a terrible year under Dye. But I got lucky that night with a little hottie. WELCOME TO AUBURN!!!

But seriously, game-wise has to be beating Bama in '89. But the most exciting game I went to has to be the first OT game we had agaist UGA, maybe 1996. That game was awesome, 5 total OT's and we lost. But still a very exciting game. At first (being a traditionalist) I did not want OT, but that settled it for me. The OT setup is a very exciting way to settle those ties.

I was in attendance at this game and I seriously doubt that any AU person there would ever think any other game would come close. There is no use in discussing who was the greatest running back in AU history ... it was clearly Bo. In discussing running backs at AU the discussion should begin with number 2 greatest and so forth. And so it is with the greatest game in AU history will always be 1989 Alabama ... the discussion would seem the start with the 2nd greatest game in AU history.

WAR EAGLE!!!

its my first post here. ive lurked around for a while but ill throw my 2 cents in on the topic

biggest "wins" not games in AU history:

1. 1982 Alabama is the biggest by far.....ending the decade long streak and giving us confidence to go on to be the SEC team of the 1980's.

honorable mention games that put us back after short slumps:

2004 at Tennessee: everybody knew Auburn would be a tough game. but after the 31-3 first half we were know feared and have been ever since

1993/1994 vs Florida: on probation, down and out. but beating the SEC King of the 1990's in back-to-back games (the second one proving it wasnt a fluke thing) putting us back on the map after a few down years.

biggest games:

1. 1989 Alabama

2. 2004 Georgia

3. 1972 Alabama

4. 1994 Alabama

5. 1983 Georgia

How many games have you been to this year? Do you live so far away that you can't travel to Auburn?

1971 Auburn-Georgia is in the top 5 of our biggest games.

That was the first game that I can remember to this day. The game I became an Auburn fan. The day I declared my allegiance. The next game was the game in which I knew I would HATE UA for the rest of my life. I got my first dose of utterly tasteless ridicule from Bammers (who happened to be members of my family) when my team got beat.

The '82 and '89 Iron Bowls were MUCH more important games historically, but that GA game has a special place for me.

Archived