How about this scenario?

pmurphy

No its not mine either but this is the most realistic way for us to play in the BCS game and break (or at least further crack) the system at the same time.

If :arky: goes undefeated into the SECCG and then :uf: beats them, I think our SOS would be good enough to put us 2 in the BCS (given a USC loss).

First of all, this is a little far out. Next up is Tulane.

If we do not get in the SEC CG, there is no chance that we get in the BCS at all. The winner of the CG would go automatically, and I would think that the CG loser would have priority over any other SEC teams. It's possible the loser get in but I don't think it would happen. I doubt the BCS would allow 3 teams (out of 10 spots) from one conference be represented

It is possible. They talked about it on ESPN yesterday. However, our strength of schedule will go way down over the next three weeks, no matter how much we win by each week. Plus, we also have UAT and that will hurt also. It is best that we win out and get to Atlanta somehow, but then that makes Arkansas have three losses, which will hurt the SOS also!! Who knows!

If we do not get in the SEC CG, there is no chance that we get in the BCS at all. The winner of the CG would go automatically, and I would think that the CG loser would have priority over any other SEC teams. It's possible the loser get in but I don't think it would happen. I doubt the BCS would allow 3 teams (out of 10 spots) from one conference be represented

Fist off it your comment that "there is no chance that we get in the BCS at all" and "The winner of the CG would go automatically" is false.

The BCS Championship game is #1 and #2 from the BCS no matter what. I think you are confusing the sugar bowl (a BCS Bowl game) with the MNC Game. THe SECCG winner goes to the Sugar bowl automatically (unless they are #1 or #2 in the BCS in which case they would go to the MNC Game).

It is possible (although unlikely due to our SOS with the likes of buffalo, tulane and Arkansas State) that we could get a shot at #2. The more likely scenario at this point is that we get an at large BCS Bid to a bowl game. I.e. not the sugar or the mnc but a BCS game.

this isn't necessarily true. The conference champion has an automatic bcs birth but take last year for instance. Auburn didn't make it to the championship game, but when it came time for bowl bids to go out, auburn was considered the SEC #2 team....SECcg loser doesn't really have priority over anybody else in the SEC. We can certainly get to the BCS NC game without playing in the seccg....I wouldn't prefer it...but it could happen...it has before...

Here is the top 10 in the BCS poll

1. Ohio State

2. Southern Cal

3. Michigan

4. Auburn

5. West Virginia

6. Florida

7. Louisville

8. Notre Dame

9. Texas

10. California

Ohio State and Michigan play each other, so one of those will be out. USC has been shaky and has the meat of their schedule coming up. (OR,CAL, ND & UCLA)

If ARK wins out, or loses one game to LSU or TENN, they go to the SEC championship, even if AU wins out. So, assuming that USC and Michigan lose, and AU moves to #2 in the BCS, is it possible that we could play for the national championship WITHOUT winning the SEC?

Discuss...

As TM mentioned, Nebraska did that in 2001 - played the NC game after losing the Big XII North to Colorado. I don't remember anyone outside of Lincoln being happy with that, though. Plus, Miami won in a rout.

I dont necessarily see us jumping the loser of the Michigan Ohio State game in the BCS rankings. We would both have one loss with thiers coming to a much better team. Think about it, us getting drubbed by Arkansas resulted in dropping 1 spot at most in the BSC standings. Had we beaten Arkansas, we still wouldnt be any better than 3rd. Also, I think West Virginia moves ahead of us in the next 3 weeks regardless. Our schedule gets really weak with Tulane, Ole Miss, and Arkansas State. If WV beats Louisville in a couple weeks they jump us easily.

I also see Arkansas losing 2 SEC games for sure.

I'd say we definitely jump Mich/tOSU loser...I also think we drop because our computer numbers will go down over the next 3 weeks...BUT our human numbers will rise making for a nice stable rank...

Rutgers is going to beat WVU but no one will notice because they're Rutgers...

A USC loss and some good Auburn wins and we might be sitting pretty even if we don't play in the SECCG...a win in the SECCG will help us by a lot and put us in a serious chance of plaing in the NC...

Here's to hoping

Have no fear. With AU the highest ranked 1-loss team, if we win out (a huge task given our huge questions on both side of the ball), the Title Game, Sugar and Oranges are all possibilities (with at least some BCS bowl a probability).

From CFN...

A one-loss team is going to play the Ohio State-Michigan winner for the national championship.

Think about it. There are only seven unbeatens left, six after the Buckeyes and Wolverines play. Boise State doesn’t count for this discussion, so that’s five. Three teams are from the Big East, two of which have to lose, making three. A maximum of three unbeatens vying for Glendale with half a season to go and USC getting taken to the wire every weekend. The odds are against there being two perfect teams facing off on Jan. 8, good news good for Texas, Florida, Tennessee, Cal, Notre Dame and Auburn.

Just a reminder - the BCS takes SOS from the time the poll is taken, not necessarily when you play them. In other words, it really doesn't matter who wins Florida/Georgia, in fact, a Georgia win might help us only in the event of Florida stays in Top 10, Georgia gets into the top 25..

How about we just win all of our games and talk about the scenarios after the iron bowl victory.

Hear! Hear! Have we not learned our lesson after Arkansas? All this poll talk is useless if we don't win out.

How about we just win all of our games and talk about the scenarios after the iron bowl victory.

Amen, Amen, and Amen. Will we ever learn????

And while I'm all for anything that'll further discredit the BCS (and hasten a playoff) - and I certainly would embrace the opportunity for :au: to play for the BCS title under any circumstance, I don't think any team that can't win its own conference ought to have a shot at the national title. Sorry, my soapbox moment . . .

Ohio State-Michigan play

USC-Notre Dame play

USC also plays Cal, UCLA, and someone else pretty good, I can't remember

Louisville-West Virginia play and throw Rutgers in the mix of the Big East and who knows

We lost early enough that with a strong finish we could be in the title game. As I said earlier LSU lost at exactly the same point to Florida in their '03 title run and still made it to the championship game. The only thing is they were also SEC champs. But, I think the Arkansas loss looks better every week. They will at worst finish 9-3.

I dont necessarily see us jumping the loser of the Michigan Ohio State game in the BCS rankings. We would both have one loss with thiers coming to a much better team. Think about it, us getting drubbed by Arkansas resulted in dropping 1 spot at most in the BSC standings. Had we beaten Arkansas, we still wouldnt be any better than 3rd. Also, I think West Virginia moves ahead of us in the next 3 weeks regardless. Our schedule gets really weak with Tulane, Ole Miss, and Arkansas State. If WV beats Louisville in a couple weeks they jump us easily.

I also see Arkansas losing 2 SEC games for sure.

You might be right. Some might argue since a Michigan or Ohio St loss would come late in the season that would enable AU to jump the loser. However, remember in 2003 when Oklahoma was stomped by an unranked Kansas State in the Big XII championship game and still made it into the BCS championship game.

Yes, it's very possible. Michigan and OSU will cancel each other out and USC will soon be exposed.

However, AU's SOS is going to take a severe hit in this half of the season. Tulane, OM, Ark State, Georgia, Bama.... none of them are anything special. Of course, it's not like WVU is playing anybody either.

However, remember in 2003 when Oklahoma was stomped by an unranked Kansas State in the Big XII championship game and still made it into the BCS championship game.

Yup, I remember that well. :lsu: went to the MNC and showed Oklahoma they didn't belong there (the score was closer than the game really was), just like in 2004 when USC had the honor of dishonoring them on the field. Also, USC got shut out of the MNC that year, and "won" the AP poll.

If the Michigan/Ohio State game is close, it's possible no one-loss teams will jump the loser. The loser would just be the top one-loss team. If it's more than a one-score differential, then I can see them dropping more (like what happened to Texas when they lost to Ohio State).

Also, if we do not got to the SECCG (i.e., :arky: loses no more than one more game), and :uf: does beat them, I actually see :uf: jumping us in the polls. Yes, we beat them. If you use associated logic, why isn't :arky: ranked ahead of us, besides the obvious they were unranked to begin with? One could use the logic that they were severely overlooked at the beginning and should have been top-15 to begin with, despite needing OT and a missed XP to beat :ua: , and barely beat :vandy: . OK, so there's some counter arguments for them :big: .

Then again, there's so much football to be played. The computers and pollsters will determine the rest. I hope we don't have to resort to lobbying, like Mack Brown did two years ago to jump Cal. for the Rose Bowl (I think).

Here is the top 10 in the BCS poll

1. Ohio State

2. Southern Cal

3. Michigan

4. Auburn

5. West Virginia

6. Florida

7. Louisville

8. Notre Dame

9. Texas

10. California

Ohio State and Michigan play each other, so one of those will be out. USC has been shaky and has the meat of their schedule coming up. (OR,CAL, ND & UCLA)

If ARK wins out, or loses one game to LSU or TENN, they go to the SEC championship, even if AU wins out. So, assuming that USC and Michigan lose, and AU moves to #2 in the BCS, is it possible that we could play for the national championship WITHOUT winning the SEC?

Discuss...

Call me pessimistic, but that doesn't look to favor us. Right now, our SOS is higher than most teams because we've gotten through our rough part. Everyone else's SOS will rise when they play their meat of the schedule. When Cal beats USC (WHEN), their SOS is going to jump after beating the #2. If ND beats USC, they will be #2 because their SOS is already rediculously high. The winner of WVU and UL will get a SOS boost. Right now, the losers I see on this list are USC, Auburn, Florida, Texas, the loser of WVU/UL, the loser of OSU/UM, and ND (if they lose to USC). USC, AU, UF, and UT have peaked their SOS, and the others will do more harm with a loss at this point in the season. The CPU polls simply don't favor the SEC, and they drool over the Pac10 and weak conferences (its like they have something ^-1 in their formula, and don't know it).

However, having complaned and said all that, the best thing to do is wait and see. Analyze all you want, you don't know the future. CFB can be as random as the roulette table many times, and is never fully predictable. There's a lot of football to be played... 6 more games. We're barely halfway done.

Hear! Hear! Have we not learned our lesson after Arkansas? All this poll talk is useless if we don't win out.

Raise your hand if you think that a bunch of fans talking on a message board was the reason Arkansas embarrased our defense? Anyone......Anyone....Bueller? While it does bear mentioning that some or all of the scenarios being discussed will be eliminated in the coming weeks, it's pretty arrogant to think that this thread has anything at all to do with the teams performance. I know that talk gets back to the players, but if any of our guys are thinking "This'll be easy. Bob the accountant from Slapout thinks we'll kill Arkansas because our 4-3 defense is geared to stop the run", then we have very, very severe problems with the program. So lets just not allow all of the current AU football players on this board to post about the BCS (I know you're in here somewhere Mr. Cox), while the rest of us discuss anything and everything Auburn.

Archived