Fiutak's SEC Picks

DKW 86

Don't count Kentucky out, they have been pretty good on offense, but their defense is nothing to brag about, which is why it's very possible for them to win this game - their offense will score more points than the anemic Georgia offense.

if Kentucky were to beat Georgia could that put Richt on the hot seat?? Losses to Vanderbilt and Kentucky in the same season won't sit to well with the UGA faithful I wouldn't imagine..

with UK still having to play Vanderbilt and UL Monroe, they could reach that 6 game win mark.

Would a win over UGA, plus getting to 6 wins get them in a bowl?

I ask, because with the 12 game schedule, surely there's more 6 win teams this year. I know there’s way too many bowls, but is there THAT many?

6 wins makes them bowl eligible...and they could get a bowl bid but only after teams with better records fill the slots. 6-6 does not guarantee them a bowl... It would be very cool to see vanderbilt in a bowl game though...

Well I know under the 11 game schedule they were barely having enough qualified teams to fill all the spots. One year they had only 1 extra qualified team (poor Akron, that's gotta make you feel good). So adding an extra game, while boosting the numbers a bit, won't create that many extra spots. That and the SEC has enough tie-ins to cover just about anything.

Guest Tigrinum Major

6 wins makes them bowl eligible...and they could get a bowl bid but only after teams with better records fill the slots. 6-6 does not guarantee them a bowl... It would be very cool to see vanderbilt in a bowl game though...

So a 7-5 Arkansas State or Northern Illinois would get a bid over a 6-6 Kentucky? I disagree.

The SEC has enough bowl tie-ins that a 6-6 SEC team is almost a stone cold lead pipe for a bowl slot.

BCS Bowl

Cap One

Outback

Peach-Fil-A

Music City

Cotton

Liberty

Independence

Mississippi State and Ole Miss are eliminated from bowl consideration already.

Throw in the possibility that the SEC might have two BCS reps if a non-SECCG participant ends up with only one loss and there is no way a 6-6 Kentucky gets left out. In fact, the SEC might not fill all its bowl slots.

Representatives from the liberty bowl are going to be at the ugauk game this weekend looking at BOTH teams. Dude said so yesterday on the radio. He also said that they're excited about the possiblity of having a kentucky here to play in the liberty bowl.

So a 7-5 Arkansas State or Northern Illinois would get a bid over a 6-6 Kentucky? I disagree.

The SEC has enough bowl tie-ins that a 6-6 SEC team is almost a stone cold lead pipe for a bowl slot.

BCS Bowl

Cap One

Outback

Peach-Fil-A

Music City

Cotton

Liberty

Independence

Mississippi State and Ole Miss are eliminated from bowl consideration already.

Throw in the possibility that the SEC might have two BCS reps if a non-SECCG participant ends up with only one loss and there is no way a 6-6 Kentucky gets left out. In fact, the SEC might not fill all its bowl slots.

TM,

Using this as my source for info.....

On April 26, 2006, the NCAA announced that they were relaxing the rules for eligibility starting with the 2006 season, particularly in light of the new 12 game college football season. Now, teams with .500 records can qualify for bowl games if their conference has a contract with a bowl game. Also, teams with .500 records (e.g. 6-6) could earn bowl bids if all other Division I-A teams with winning records have been taken and postseason spots still remain vacant

Linky Dinky

Guest Tigrinum Major

I interpret that to mean that the teams with conference tie-ins qualify before those without, even if they have a winning record, based on the sequence of the sentences.

I interpret that to mean that the teams with conference tie-ins qualify before those without, even if they have a winning record, based on the sequence of the sentences.

that could be.... how many ties do we have in the SEC now?? It changes so much i can't remeber.

Well, we know

Auburn

Alabama

Arkansas

Florida

Tennessee

USC

LSU

UGA are in for bowls.

UK has 4 more games (UGA, Vandy. La Monroe, UT), they are 4-6 and 2 of those teams they could/should beat. Their best chance is beating Vandy and La Monroe)

Vandy has a tougher road. They are 4-5 with UF, UT and UK to play.

If Vandy beats UK then it puts a lot of pressure on UK to win some tough games.

UK is probably the best bet to make the bowl game.

I don't understand why a team must only win 6 games (be 6-6) for bowl eligibility. Last year, a team had to be 6-5 (therefore, have a winning record) to be bowl eligible. Shouldn't it be 7-5 this year?

Well, we know

Auburn

Alabama

Arkansas

Florida

Tennessee

USC

LSU

UGA are in for bowls.

UK has 4 more games (UGA, Vandy. La Monroe, UT), they are 4-6 and 2 of those teams they could/should beat. Their best chance is beating Vandy and La Monroe)

Vandy has a tougher road. They are 4-5 with UF, UT and UK to play.

If Vandy beats UK then it puts a lot of pressure on UK to win some tough games.

UK is probably the best bet to make the bowl game.

:usc: isn't bowl eligible yet. They play MTSU on 11/18 to pick up their 6th. However, a horrid 1-4 finish for them is possible. They still have to play at UF, Arkanasas, at Clemson.

This is how I think things would shake down.

Sugar- Arkansas

Cap 1- Auburn

Chick fil A- Florida

Outback- Tennessee

Cotton- LSU

Music City- Georgia

Liberty- Alabama

Independence- South Carolina

As for Kentucky? If they recieve a bid it will be to like the Walnut Bowl in SF or some non-SEC bowl. Bowling with only 6 will be tough for such a football powerhouse like UK.

-EDIT- I left out UGA.

if Kentucky were to beat Georgia could that put Richt on the hot seat?? Losses to Vanderbilt and Kentucky in the same season won't sit to well with the UGA faithful I wouldn't imagine..

He has won the SEC twice in the last 5 years and gotten to the SECCG 3 times in that span.

He would need 2 more seasons of this to actually be on the hot seat.

BTW, UK won't beat us but it being close wouldn't surprise me.

He has won the SEC twice in the last 5 years and gotten to the SECCG 3 times in that span.

Well, its good to know they won't have a quick trigger finger.

no. They love him. He's already got them a couple SEC Championships. He's done nothing but win since he's been there. They'll bounce back next season. They've had great recruiting classes the last couple of years also.

But if Bobby Bowden does decide to retire, isn't Richt gone?

But if Bobby Bowden does decide to retire, isn't Richt gone?

Why? Because he was their OC? He didn't even play at FSU, he played at Miami.

There is not a shot in hell Richt even thinks about FSU while at UGA. None, especially with the new buyout contract he signed last off-season.

Rumor wise as well...Bowden was happy for Richt but NOT happy that Richt took the UGA job right before the FSU NC game....reason #4,505 Richt doesn't even get a phone call from them.

This is how I think things would shake down.

Sugar- Arkansas

Cap 1- Auburn

Chick fil A- Florida

Outback- Tennessee

Cotton- LSU

Music City- Georgia

Liberty- Alabama

Independence- South Carolina

-EDIT- I left out UGA.

Should I assume that you are implying we will lose to UAT? And what makes you think Arkansas will even get to the SEC Championship game? They will drop 2 more. Even if they did make it, Florida would definitely beat them.

Archived