Fascism, Nationalism and Patriotism

Bottomfeeder

This guy speaks for me.

Notice I never once used the word homeland in any of this. I have a secondary point I want to bring up now. Never once was the term homeland ever used to describe the country of America until Mr. Bush began the department of homeland security after the 9/11 attacks. Taking a 20th century history class will teach us that the most notable countries in the last century that referred to their country in this way were Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia. Hitler used the term fatherland to drum up support, nationalistic support, for his growing war machine. He used the nationalism he created in the minds of the Germans to justify the sacrifice of their livelihood to build the war machine to get back their power from the oppressive restrictions the English and French had put on them at Versailles. This is the same feeling that has been virulently infecting the American psyche in the last hundred years. This is the same feeling that consoles a mother after her son is killed in an attempt to prosecute an aggressor's war 10,000 miles away. It's also known as Patriotism these days, but I say, "No more." No more nationalistic inanity, no more passing it off as patriotism. Patriotism is learning, and educating oneself to understand what their country really stands for.

martin.jpg

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/martin-p1.html

Rather an inane and simplistic review of history, it seems. A bit sketchy on any particular point though. Promoting the idea that we should protect our country after the 9/11 attacks leads to fascism? That's pretty far fetched.

Rather an inane and simplistic review of history, it seems. A bit sketchy on any particular point though. Promoting the idea that we should protect our country after the 9/11 attacks leads to fascism? That's pretty far fetched.

Out of curiosity, how would you define 'fascism?'

I know you quoted AURaptor, but....

Corporate owned governance. Where corporations dictate government policy and not the people. Kind of like we have here. I use Mussolini's definition. Or, simply put, everything is under the "STATE," or federal government (STATE) control. Like outlawing catnip. I can't ##@@%^& believe these people.

http://www.progress.org/2006/fold483.htm

The Fascist State lays claim to rule in the economic field no less than in others; it makes its action felt throughout the length and breadth of the country by means of its corporate, social, and educational institutions, and all the political, economic, and spiritual forces of the nation, organised in their respective associations, circulate within the State."

"Fascism should more appropriately be called corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power." -- Mussolini

Out of curiosity, how would you define 'fascism?'

By going back and learning about the origins of the word and how it was used.

Fascism (IPA: [ˈfæʃɪzm]) is a radical political ideology that combines elements of corporatism, authoritarianism, nationalism, militarism, anti-liberalism and anti-communism.

The word fascism stems from the Italian word fascio (plural: fasci), which may mean bundle, as in a political or militant group, or a nation. The term also comes from the fasces (rods bundled around an axe), which was an ancient Roman symbol of the authority of magistrates. The symbolism of the fasces suggested strength through unity; a single rod is easily broken, while the bundle is very difficult to break. The Italian Fascisti were also known as Blackshirts for their style of uniform incorporating a black shir

Archived