Honest question to rival fans

BAMMERPERRY

No joke. I say this with all seriousness; The city of An Nassariyah (in Iraq) had more social structure and semblance of civility/law and order when I was there right after the good ol' US Army shot it to s**t back in '03. This place Naples is ... hell, its indescribable. Garbage piled up everywhere, no one wants to work. Can't get a phone to work or get any reliable support out of the local government.

Are you sure you arent in Tuscaloosa?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at this mess. This is a typical scene on any back road over here in the Campania region (where Naples is).

trash001.jpg

trash003.jpg

2tpano6.jpg

It's a thousand wonders we aren't wiped out by the plague over here.

It's clean right at my house though. Here's a shot off my front porch.

house.jpg

and I have a pretty cool view of Vesuvius from my bedroom balcony

vesuvio.jpg

I thought those first ones were of Tuscaloosa.

The last picture is cool.

On another note I didn't know WithOut Papers was a racial slur.

Yeah, it's nice sitting back with a martini and a Cubano thinking, "Man, if this SOB blows, I'm going to have front row seats!"

Dang - those look like the main streets of Luanda, Angola, another garden spot. But at least Angola doesn't hold itself up to be even a third world country - what's Italy's excuse?

Dang - those look like the main streets of Luanda, Angola, another garden spot. But at least Angola doesn't hold itself up to be even a third world country - what's Italy's excuse?

Not too many landfills and they (Italians) don't want to build any. They'd rather live in this filth than deal with the problem.

A secondary problem is Neapolitans are tightwads. They will not spend a dime unless there is no other option. Instead of paying for sanitation pickup (however irratic it may be), they'd rather drive it off away from the house and dump it on the side of the road.

No crap, I have seen rats crossing the road that I'd put money on in a fight.

Oh man, I've got stories.

I hate Italy (love the coffee though)

I was over there in May. Loved Italy. Hated the tar, errr coffee. Put a spoon in it and pulled out a handle. The rest had dissolved.

I agree that Naples is filthy. I've never seen so much trash strewn along the roadways. I did enjoy Pompeii, however. Which side of Vesuvius are you on? They told us there was a "hot zone" where people definitely should not live, but that folks still do, even though the roadways out and the time it would take is not sufficient for them to get away even if the geologists accurately predict the blast time. You ever heard of anything like that?

Before you come back, if you could find me the recipe for these seaweed appetizers we had, I'd gladly pay you for your trouble. All I know is that we got them at a couple of the little pizza places. Seaweed, dough and fried, I guess. They looked sort of like hush puppies, but had green flecks in them. We were told it was seaweed. Those things are AWESOME. I've looked online for months to no avail. If you've had them, you know what I'm talking about.

I was over there in May. Loved Italy. Hated the tar, errr coffee. Put a spoon in it and pulled out a handle. The rest had dissolved.

I agree that Naples is filthy. I've never seen so much trash strewn along the roadways. I did enjoy Pompeii, however.

Before you come back, if you could find me the recipe for these seaweed appetizers we had, I'd gladly pay you for your trouble. All I know is that we got them at a couple of the little pizza places. Seaweed, dough and fried, I guess. They looked sort of like hush puppies, but had green flecks in them. We were told it was seaweed. Those things are AWESOME. I've looked online for months to no avail. If you've had them, you know what I'm talking about.

I'll see what I can find out for you. 2 of my guys are married to Italians, so it should be no problem.

The coffee takes some getting used to for sure. Once you have it mastered, you'll never go back to regular. That is the one thing I will truly miss from over here (along with the very very attractive women).

I am on the northern side of Vesuvius, about 15 miles away on a straight line. We are safe here. The danger area is from the airport area up to the crater and along the coast to Sorrento. There are people that live half way up the side of the volcano. The government has offered anyone in that area up to $40K to leave and hardly no one has taken it. The local disaster prep people estimate it would take more than 5 days to evacuate just the people that live in the danger zone. They say it would never be able to happen. If an eruption on the scale of the one that took out Pompeii and Herculaneum (sp) back in 79AD happened, they estimate that close to 750,000 would be killed.

I agree that Naples is filthy. I've never seen so much trash strewn along the roadways. I did enjoy Pompeii, however.

I'll see what I can find out for you. 2 of my guys are married to Italians, so it should be no problem.

You know what else I liked? The gelato stands in Rome. That stuff was awesome, too. I don't even like ice cream, but I liked some gelato. My wife had me some shipped in for Christmas.

We intended to stay in Naples for a day or so, but it was so nasty we decided to cut that short and go elsewhere.

I loved Florence even though it was crowded. I was awed by the nonchalance of the locals to the history that surrounded them in Rome. How could you look at the ruins of the aqueducts which were there before Christ and not be amazed. Or at least not paint grafitti on them.

That is the one thing I will truly miss from over here (along with the very very attractive women).

One of they guys with us, a younger single guy, was walking down the street gawking at the women. He was also a little unsettled by the androdgny of most of the men.

His assessment? Italy: Where the women are hot and the men look almost as good as the women.

and I look so forward to them over a nice Cohiba.

Can I get in on that....only I dont want a Cohiba....Maybe a nice Monte #2 or Romeo y Julieta

Can I get in on that....only I dont want a Cohiba....Maybe a nice Monte #2 or Romeo y Julieta

You betcha! I'll sneak in a Romeo and Julietta #1 for you. You have to come to Auburn to get it though!

The wife and I went to Italy for our Honeymoon, we loved it over there. I would go back to Rome in a nano-second. We went for 2 weeks to Rome, Florence and Venice....Rome was my favorite, the history is truly something to behold. Liked Florence as well although we didnt get to spend enough time there so I would like to go back there as well....Venice...eh..it was cool to see once ..I would not go back. One thing that I did love about Italy was just all the little trattorias or cafes, it was so relaxing to sit back have some cappuccino or a drink.. smoke a cigar ...and do some people watching. Oh yeah and the wife and I had an audience with Pope John Paul II which made the trip once in a lifetime.

You know what else I liked? The gelato stands in Rome. That stuff was awesome, too. I don't even like ice cream, but I liked some gelato. My wife had me some shipped in for Christmas.

We intended to stay in Naples for a day or so, but it was so nasty we decided to cut that short and go elsewhere.

I loved Florence even though it was crowded. I was awed by the nonchalance of the locals to the history that surrounded them in Rome. How could you look at the ruins of the aqueducts which were there before Christ and not be amazed. Or at least not paint grafitti on them.

Gelato is like heroin! Add that to the list of things I'll miss here. Damn, before I know it, I'll never want to leave! :big:

There's a place up in the northeast US that makes Italian gelato. I watched it on Bobby Flay's cooking show one time. It's run by Italians, too. I'll have to do a Google search.

We go to Rome quite often to escape the trash. Usually take the train. As you go into Rome from the south, you start to see the ancient aquaducts about 15 minutes outside of the city. Stunning! When you were in Pompeii, did you get to see the old coliseum?

I know I unfairly paint the entire country in a bad light, but for anyone wanting to come to Italy....just stay out of Naples and the Campania region as a whole. Central and northern Italy are really beautiful and the people are not as big of imbiciles as they are down here in Naples. This area is what you would expect if you were to stumble into the Paleolithic era.

Dude, you have officially cleared the bar in my judgement! Getting a good Trinidad primed right this moment!

Gelato is like heroin! Add that to the list of things I'll miss here. Damn, before I know it, I'll never want to leave! :big:

There's a place up in the northeast US that makes Italian gelato. I watched it on Bobby Flay's cooking show one time. It's run by Italians, too. I'll have to do a Google search.

We go to Rome quite often to escape the trash. Usually take the train. As you go into Rome from the south, you start to see the ancient aquaducts about 15 minutes outside of the city. Stunning! When you were in Pompeii, did you get to see the old coliseum?

I know I unfairly paint the entire country in a bad light, but for anyone wanting to come to Italy....just stay out of Naples and the Campania region as a whole. Central and northern Italy are really beautiful and the people are not as big of imbiciles as they are down here in Naples. This area is what you would expect if you were to stumble into the Paleolithic era.

It may have been just because I was not at work, but I have never been more relaxed in my life. The cafes and sidewalk restaurants... I could go from one to the other, just sitting in the shade and watching people walk by.

I didn't get to see the old Coliseum. Major disappointment. But because we decided to leave Naples and not stay, I cut short the Pompeii trip. I didn't expect it to be as engrossing as it was. I wish I'd stayed there for much longer.

As for gelato? I found a place in Warwick Rhode Island that has some homemade. When I go to RI on business, I ALWAYS make it a point to stop there. It's pretty good. Last time I was there one of the lesser (non-Alec) Baldwins was in there with his giant dog -- yes, he brought the hairy beast INTO the store. This place is closed from October - March, though. I don't know where my wife got the gelato she ordered me for Christmas, but I've still got a pint or two of stracciatella waiting for me. And at least one pint of lemon.

Who would you rather have as your teams Head Football Coach, Mike Shula or Nick Saban?

Nick Saban but I would realize that someone like Shula would stay at Bama for the rest of his career while Saban is at most a 5-year fix

Who would you rather have as your teams Head Football Coach, Mike Shula or Nick Saban?

Nick Saban but I would realize that someone like Shula would stay at Bama for the rest of his career while Saban is at most a 5-year fix

Have either one of them ever been to Italy? Then what's the relevance?

Have either one of them ever been to Italy? Then what's the relevance?

bammers have no revelance!!!!

"To answer your question, I wouldn't want Shula or Saban. Shula's incompetent and Saban is a cutthroat. Auburn is better than both of them." :roflol:

Being objective, minus Alabama/Auburn/LSU fans, if you polled all College Football fans as to whether they would rather have Saban or Tuberville as their Head Coach, it would run in the favor of Saban at a 95-99% clip.

Archived