Linebackers in 2007

lca408

I don't believe we have discussed this topic as much as needed, considering the fact that we will be pretty light at the LB spots next year, at least as far as experience and maturity is concerned. My question is who will get the start for Kansas State and who's gonna be playmakers?

Returning:

Merrill Johnson - He played a decent amount this year and he will be the guy with the most experience at LB on the field.

Steve Gandy - Unfortunate practice accident for him that cost him playing this year. Will he be the guy to step up?

Patrick Trahan - Forgive my ignorance but I don't know about this kid. Heard a few good things.

Chris Evans - Heard many good things about this guy. He was impressing coaches in practice. Starting job could be a lock.

Tray Blackmon - ? Well, I don't think any of us know about his odds at returning in 2007. Think we can all say that he played his heart out and he wasn't too bad on the field.

Newbies:

Adam Herring - Heard good about this kid.

Eltoro Freeman - Not alot of people talking about Eltoro cause he committed so early but I remember how high everyone was on him.

Chris Zinn - Haven't heard much.

Josh Bynes - Big pick up. Heard alot about his ability to come in and play as a true freshman.

Carlton Johnson - Haven't heard much.

Bo Harris - Am I correct in hearing that he might play as LB?

Ok so that's everyone that I think is in running for playing Linebacker. So now I'm going to ask y'all to help evaluate the potential in all of these guys. Are they good enough to be starters. Will any of these freshmen get to play? etc. And please fill me in about some of the guys that I hadn't heard much about.

I'm sure we're gonna have at least 10 more conversations about this stuff before the season starts but hey, we gotta find ways to pass the time in an unbelievably long offseason.

Ryan

I don't believe we have discussed this topic as much as needed, considering the fact that we will be pretty light at the LB spots next year, at least as far as experience and maturity is concerned. My question is who will get the start for Kansas State and who's gonna be playmakers?

Returning:

Merrill Johnson - He played a decent amount this year and he will be the guy with the most experience at LB on the field.

Steve Gandy - Unfortunate practice accident for him that cost him playing this year. Will he be the guy to step up?

Patrick Trahan - Forgive my ignorance but I don't know about this kid. Heard a few good things.

Chris Evans - Heard many good things about this guy. He was impressing coaches in practice. Starting job could be a lock.

Tray Blackmon - ? Well, I don't think any of us know about his odds at returning in 2007. Think we can all say that he played his heart out and he wasn't too bad on the field.

Newbies:

Adam Herring - Heard good about this kid.

Eltoro Freeman - Not alot of people talking about Eltoro cause he committed so early but I remember how high everyone was on him.

Chris Zinn - Haven't heard much.

Josh Bynes - Big pick up. Heard alot about his ability to come in and play as a true freshman.

Carlton Johnson - Haven't heard much.

Bo Harris - Am I correct in hearing that he might play as LB?

Ok so that's everyone that I think is in running for playing Linebacker. So now I'm going to ask y'all to help evaluate the potential in all of these guys. Are they good enough to be starters. Will any of these freshmen get to play? etc. And please fill me in about some of the guys that I hadn't heard much about.

I'm sure we're gonna have at least 10 more conversations about this stuff before the season starts but hey, we gotta find ways to pass the time in an unbelievably long offseason.

Ryan

Craig Stevens?

Well, I think we have good talent at the LB position but it's just too early to say who will start.

Out of the newbies, my guess is that Bynes will have the best shot to start..........and I also think the coaches have told him that, otherwise he wouldn't have committed.

Quentin Groves.

A playmaker... but wrong position topic.

You never know, he's definitely fast enough; plus, with the 3-4 I think it's valid. ;)

I was just going to ask if anyone else new of this. I have a friend who films for the team and he mentioned this to me also. I think it would help Q's draft status because several pro teams use DE's in this capacity. I know the Cowboys use former Troy DE Demarcus Ware as a DE/LB hybrid. If Will Herring can play LB at his speed I feel like Q would be fine speed wise at LB also. I think our situation relies heavily on Blackmon. If he is back I am very confident in our group. Without him we lack that playmaker at LB and we are also a little thin numbers/experience wise also.

These are the LB's we have listed on the roster right now and their class next year:

T. Blackmon-So.

Chris Evans-Jr.

Steve Gandy-Jr.

Courtney Harden-Jr.

Alonzo Horton-So.

Hendrick Leverette-So.

Craig Stevens-So.

Patrick Trahan-So.

Merrill Johnson-Jr.

A pretty young bunch. No seniors this year. Courtney Harden and Alonzo Horton are the biggest guys on this list. Harden plays at around 230 and Horton is about 245. I understand Muschamp likes them a little bigger. From all indications, Stevens is becoming a MAN. If Blackmon can put his troubles behind him, that sounds like two spots may be taken. Some of the incoming freshmen may be hard to keep off the field, but we have a good bit of talent in place already. Hopefully, these guys can come in and gain some good experience before we get into the SEC race next year.

If everything goes well with Tray I fully expect us to field the following starting lineup:

WLB: Tray Blackmon

MLB: Craig Stevens

SLB: Patrick Trahan

I've heard people claim that this group looks "weak", but in all honesty, this group is about 2-3 times more talented than the senior group we brought out last year. You're looking at a major upgrade in size and athleticism. Stevens will be a beast, kid has everything you look for (size, speed, instincts, football IQ).

If everything goes well with Tray I fully expect us to field the following starting lineup:

I've heard people claim that this group looks "weak", but in all honesty, this group is about 2-3 times more talented than the senior group we brought out last year. You're looking at a major upgrade in size and athleticism. Stevens will be a beast, kid has everything you look for (size, speed, instincts, football IQ).

Bingo.

Groves started out at Auburn as linebacker so he has the background to do it. He was put in the LB position quite a few times last season but he was mostly used to rush the passer. I doubt Blackmon will be able to play next season because not only does he have to win over the coaches, he's fallen behind in the academic area because of his absence from school this semester.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Blackmon will have the opportunity to get his academics in order during the summer semester. If he returns and is eligible and stays out of the doghouse, he'll play.

Lots of if's.

I pray we don't have to use Gandy as a linebacker. He's a safety and should have never been moved.

Would you say the same thing about Herring? I think Gandy will be fine at linebacker, he was a little slow for the db position but is i big hitter. He bulked up before last season too. Anyone who can be a good tackler can be a good lb.

I was really impressed with Trahan when I saw him in. He made plays all year long. He did well against the run and I remember him doing well against screens as well. I think he's gonna be one to watch.

I pray we don't have to use Gandy as a linebacker. He's a safety and should have never been moved.

Would you say the same thing about Herring? I think Gandy will be fine at linebacker, he was a little slow for the db position but is i big hitter. He bulked up before last season too. Anyone who can be a good tackler can be a good lb.

Herring was too small as well, but he had a nose for the ball. Also its important that you realize that in 2004 we basically ran a 4-4 half of the time with Herring moving up into the LB position. Herring wasn't a great tackler either, he wasn't bad, but I don't think he made a solo tackle all year. In order for Muschamp's D scheme to be fully effective we need bigger linebackers, bigger doesn't necessarily mean slower either, see Arky. Trust me on this one, just look at the guys we recruited.

I completely forgot about Craig Stevens. I have heard that Quentin will be used at LB some next year. Its a good thing. We've got enough depth on the D-line to do it.

I would submit that Herring, with enough time at the position, could have done very well. I think he did a stand up job anyway considering he was just moved. He's always been a kid who gave everything he had on each play. He wasn't the biggest, fastest, or most talented player, but he gave 100% just about all the time. That's why he lead the team in tackles most of the time.

The coaching staff needs to be focusing on three to four guys who will start, without Blackmon. Sounds like he might not be coming back, so they need to prepare contingencies. I could definitely see Merrill, Craig, and Patrick starting for the Tigers with Quentin in there at times. I would venture to say that Josh Bynes will get some PT next year. Maybe I'm 60 to 75% sure. I think Eltoro could be a difference maker if he bulked up.

Ryan

QG will play the same role next year that he played this past year, no change.

If Blackmon can make it back by June, he'll play this fall. Some say it's 50-50 but I think he'll be back. He has stayed in constant contact with the coaches.

Trahan is listed as 6'2" 217, but looks to be closer to 225.

QG will play the same role next year that he played this past year, no change.

If Blackmon can make it back by June, he'll play this fall. Some say it's 50-50 but I think he'll be back. He has stayed in constant contact with the coaches.

Trahan is listed as 6'2" 217, but looks to be closer to 225.

bingo

I definitely think at least one or 2 of the freshmen lb will play some. We are losing 2 starters and potentially 3 and another that played a good bit during his career here but had some problems with suspensions. So just to have a rotation of some sort some of them will play.

Id much rather have an undersized lb with some heart and a nose for the ball than a slow db whos gonna get toasted through the air. In the secondary theres really no one to help you, so you will get exposed. I saw Will make plenty of solo tackles this year while at linebacker. I think he had almost 10 tackles versus Nebraska. And lead the team or was close to the lead for tackles throughout his career. Youre making solo tackles when you do that. I think Will will get better there. At times he was too focused on his technique (because of the transition) to really make plays. The Felix Jones td comes to mind.

I definitely think Trahan will be one of the starters.

Archived