MLB 2007 Season

AUJarhead

Meanwhile, the Braves are rolling merrily along, leading the Mets by half a game in the east. I'll take it.

Blah...blah...blah...

They have played 5 games out of 27 against teams with a winning record...5. Anytime you have a schedule like that you can merrily roll along...hell...just ask Bama.

While this month, the braves have NYM, LAD, Pit, SD, and MIL. Let's see how they fare against some better teams before we start talking about another world series....er....I mean another blown post season...

How could we have only have played 5 games against a team with a winning record when we are 4-2 against the Mets this year? Yeah we've take 2 season series against the team that is supposed to be the best in baseball.

Also, the Phils are only sub .500 because we beat them 5 times, to 1 loss. They are 14-17. The same thing could be said about the marlins (2 games under 500).

We just finished taking 2 of 3 from the 1st place Dodgers (18-13).

So you can go ahead and put that record against teams above .500 to 6-3.

We've played 9 games against teams above .500. The Cubbies? 10.

You are right...I miscounted on the Mets thing. My bad. Also, I said we will see how they do this month, the schedule is brutal. I specifically mentioned the Dodgers as well as SD, BOS, etc. I didn't say they Braves were bad...i just pointed out that the Braves may be "merrily rolling along" because of a weak schedule to start out. They started out hot and other teams didn't...no big deal...

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank goodness Sheffield is getting hot.

His first few weeks was worrying me.

When he gets mad, he is DA MAN.

Keep it up!

Braves bats have gone cold. Chipper and Andruw combined 0-29 over the last handful of games.

Are they comparable to the "MV3" in STL of Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds? When they don't hit, the Cards will lose.

Braves bats have gone cold. Chipper and Andruw combined 0-29 over the last handful of games.

Are they comparable to the "MV3" in STL of Pujols, Rolen, and Edmonds? When they don't hit, the Cards will lose.

That is why the Cards have lost so many this year. I LOVE Edmonds!!!! BUT...I think he is done. I think the Cards were going to get rid of him last year but how do you get rid of someone like Edmonds after you when the World Series? Rolen, I think is one of the best 3rd basemen in the league, BUT he has been very incosistant the past 2 years. When he is hot, there is none better, but it seems like he goes to sleep for games at a time now. Pujols is the key here. Usually, he is able to make up for both Rolen and Edmonds but this year he has started slow. That is killing the Cards. Anytime you have someone in the line up that you fear can take you deep with one swing, changes the complextion of a line up...no one fears Pujols right now...they will later this season, but right now, no.

I think the Cards get hot at some point though. There is no way a team that good can pay that poorly all year.

You nailed it with Pujols. His back is going to be hurting from carrying the team. With no one on, he's batting avg is sub .200 (I believe .170), with runners on, a respectable .270 (still well below normal Pujols numbers), but with RISP, a .470. I think he's pressing too much to try to get something going. I'm still not totally convinced he's 100% healthy, either. If you watch his swing, he's not getting as much drive from his hips as he was in years past.

And you're also right about Edmonds. This would have been his walk year, but I think management felt pressure to keep him after last year. They wanted him to retire a Cardinal, and fans would have screamed bloody murder if they let him walk. And I love him too. Buying a Edmonds jersey this weekend in fact. :) I think he'll retire at the end of this season.

I think another thing that is really hurting St Louis is that we're feeling the effects of all the trades we've made the past 5 or 6 years. Mulder, Edmonds, Rolen, Woody Williams, Larry Walker, Finley, Belliard, etc. We've simply got no depth in AAA. We honestly got lucky with Pujols. And Chris Duncan is proving to be a decent left fielder, and I'm still reserving judgement on Molina (Good behind the plate, but I don't think he can calm a pitcher down like Matheny could when in a pressure situation). But those are the only 3 guys in our starting 8 that are home grown. You could throw Reyes in there as a pitcher, but I'm not thrilled with how Dave Duncan is not allowing him to throw the 4 seamer. He might be better off in a different organization.

So 5 weeks into the season, what does Chicago need to make the playoffs? I think they'll make it regardless, but what would you like them to acquire before the deadline? Starting pitching?

If you would have said going into the season that after 32 games, Marquis would have a 1.70 ERA, Lily would have a 2.78 ERA and Rich Hill a 1.73 ERA with all of them pitching over 40 innings, I would say the Cubs wowuld be 10 games over .500. The problem is the bullpen has given up some runs and Zambrano has just flat out stunk. The thing is, I don't think Zambrano will continue to stink and the bullpen is pitching a lot better recently. I just hope that Lily, Marquis and Hill continue to pitch well. If they continue to pitch well, I think the Cubs make the playoffs.

To answer your quest Jarhead, I would love another starting pitcher. Wade Miller struggled at the beginning of the year and although Guzman had a good start the other day, I am not sure he can consistantly do it. The A+ positive though is we atleast have consistantly starting starters, which we haven't had in the past. And I hate to admit it, only because of Radio :P , but I would love to trade and get a good shortstop. I am so glad when I look at the lineup for the day and Izturis is not in the game. He sucks at hitting and he plays like he doesn't give a crap about the game. Either get a good SS or keep Ryan Theriot in the game NO MATTER WHAT THE PITCHING MATCH UPS ARE!!! That guy is fun to watch. He is like 11 for 20 hitting wth runners in scoring position...that kid is a spark plug and the Cubs are better with him in the linne up!

I think another thing that is really hurting St Louis is that we're feeling the effects of all the trades we've made the past 5 or 6 years. Mulder, Edmonds, Rolen, Woody Williams,

Want him back??????? :no:

Of course, to be fair, it hasn't been ALL his fault that he just got his first W in 6 starts this week. But he wasn't exactly smoking it up either.

Well, for all of us looking up at the Brewers, I guess the next three weeks will tell us a lot. That play at NYM, at Philly, host the Twins, at LAD, at SD, and then host ATL.

Jenny, no way do I want Woody back now. Unless you want a bag of peanuts.

Meanwhile, the Braves are rolling merrily along, leading the Mets by half a game in the east. I'll take it.

Blah...blah...blah...

They have played 5 games out of 27 against teams with a winning record...5. Anytime you have a schedule like that you can merrily roll along...hell...just ask Bama.

While this month, the braves have NYM, LAD, Pit, SD, and MIL. Let's see how they fare against some better teams before we start talking about another world series....er....I mean another blown post season...

How could we have only have played 5 games against a team with a winning record when we are 4-2 against the Mets this year? Yeah we've take 2 season series against the team that is supposed to be the best in baseball.

Also, the Phils are only sub .500 because we beat them 5 times, to 1 loss. They are 14-17. The same thing could be said about the marlins (2 games under 500).

We just finished taking 2 of 3 from the 1st place Dodgers (18-13).

So you can go ahead and put that record against teams above .500 to 6-3.

We've played 9 games against teams above .500. The Cubbies? 10.

You are right...I miscounted on the Mets thing. My bad. Also, I said we will see how they do this month, the schedule is brutal. I specifically mentioned the Dodgers as well as SD, BOS, etc. I didn't say they Braves were bad...i just pointed out that the Braves may be "merrily rolling along" because of a weak schedule to start out. They started out hot and other teams didn't...no big deal...

2/3 from the dodgers and 3/4 from the padres :cheer:

Now if we can get through this upcoming roadtrip!

What's really encouraging is that Chuck James has a 1 hit shutout through 7 innings. He was really the missing element for the braves so far this year. With Lerew replacing Redman (who was awful) and Davies and James going 6-7 innings per, the Braves might start cooking.

After the Mets getting drilled 12-3 by the Brew Crew...the Bravos will be up 1.5 games. That is, assuming they can hold on to this 7-0 lead over the Bucs.

Dear Albert Pujols,

Ever since my self admitted man crush on you, your batting average had dropped 60 points, and you have failed to hit any home runs. You are mired in the worst slump of your career. In the best interest of the St Louis Cardinals, I no longer have a man crush on you. Instead, I'm going on record to show my Man Crush for the following players: Derrick Lee of the Cubs, Lance Berkman of the Astros, and Ben Sheets of the Brewers.

Thank you,

Jarhead

Dear Albert Pujols,

Ever since my self admitted man crush on you, your batting average had dropped 60 points, and you have failed to hit any home runs. You are mired in the worst slump of your career. In the best interest of the St Louis Cardinals, I no longer have a man crush on you. Instead, I'm going on record to show my Man Crush for the following players: Derrick Lee of the Cubs, Lance Berkman of the Astros, and Ben Sheets of the Brewers.

Thank you,

Jarhead

Damn you.

Dear Albert Pujols,

Thank you,

Jarhead

Damn you.

DOUBLE Damn you.

But paybacks are HELL...

GO CARDS!!! :nanner::nanner: :nanner:

I'm sorry I had to bring out the ultimate karma killer. But you brung it on yerselfs.

Dear Albert Pujols,

Thank you,

Jarhead

Come on Jarhead, give your man crush to someobody worthy

The steroid kid

Barry Bonds

Braves reliver Mike Gonzalez went on the 15-day DL today. Their injury list is starting to get a bit long.

Mike Gonzalez still has no clue why he lost so much of his velocity during Tuesday night's game. But for the next two weeks, he'll have the opportunity to rest his left arm. The Braves placed Gonzalez on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday afternoon and recalled left-handed reliever Macay McBride from Triple-A Richmond. During the eighth inning of Tuesday night's game against the Nationals, Gonzalez's fastball was being clocked around 83 mph. Just three days earlier while throwing a scoreless inning against his former Pirates teammates, his fastball was registering closer to 92 mph.

Gonzalez, who missed the final five weeks of last season with tendinitis in his left elbow, isn't feeling any sort of discomfort. But the Braves want to take precaution in hopes that he's simply bothered by a dead arm. Before allowing a run and a hit while retiring just two batters on Tuesday, Gonzalez had worked 14 consecutive scoreless innings. He had allowed just four hits in his previous seven innings.

McBride, who was sent to Richmond because of the control problems he experienced during the first two weeks of the regular season, posted a 3.13 ERA in seven appearances with Richmond. Because he threw five innings on Monday night, he likely won't be available out of the bullpen until at least Thursday.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article...sp&c_id=atl

Braves reliver Mike Gonzalez went on the 15-day DL today. Their injury list is starting to get a bit long.

Mike Gonzalez still has no clue why he lost so much of his velocity during Tuesday night's game. But for the next two weeks, he'll have the opportunity to rest his left arm. The Braves placed Gonzalez on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday afternoon and recalled left-handed reliever Macay McBride from Triple-A Richmond. During the eighth inning of Tuesday night's game against the Nationals, Gonzalez's fastball was being clocked around 83 mph. Just three days earlier while throwing a scoreless inning against his former Pirates teammates, his fastball was registering closer to 92 mph.

Gonzalez, who missed the final five weeks of last season with tendinitis in his left elbow, isn't feeling any sort of discomfort. But the Braves want to take precaution in hopes that he's simply bothered by a dead arm. Before allowing a run and a hit while retiring just two batters on Tuesday, Gonzalez had worked 14 consecutive scoreless innings. He had allowed just four hits in his previous seven innings.

McBride, who was sent to Richmond because of the control problems he experienced during the first two weeks of the regular season, posted a 3.13 ERA in seven appearances with Richmond. Because he threw five innings on Monday night, he likely won't be available out of the bullpen until at least Thursday.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article...sp&c_id=atl

That's actually a really bad thing for the Bravos right now. Having McBride as the only lefty in our pen scares the snot outta me.

McBride is the worst pitcher in the pen. And that's bad. Paronto is garbage, Villareal is hit or miss. Soriano can't pitch every relief inning.

We need Mike back...now.

We also need another starter.

How the **** does your ******* closer give up 5 ******* runs in the ******* bottom of the ******* 9th inning?

Looks like June is coming early again. :(

Look at the positive, at least you are in a game where you need your closer.

You got your wish.

Braves make lots of moves:

Craig Wilson released.

Brayan Pena to AAA

Mark Redman activated from DL.

Oh. Joy.

The only thing good about that is Wilson released. Mark Redman being activated is AWFUL. He is the worst pitcher now on our roster. I think we were better off with Lerew. Redman can't get out of the 1st inning.

How the **** does your ******* closer give up 5 ******* runs in the ******* bottom of the ******* 9th inning?

Looks like June is coming early again. :(

Was Brad Lidge pitching?? Trust me, Astros fans feel your pain...

Look at the positive, at least you are in a game where you need your closer.

Y'all are sucking because you got the nanner hoodoo. (See above post) Ask nicely and I might take it back...

Archived