MLB 2007 Season

AUJarhead

Ok, I can't wait for the season to start, so figured I'd go ahead and get this thread started. Any predictions on the season?

NL East - Mets

NL Central - Cubs

NL West - Dodgers

Wildcard - Cards

AL East - BoSox

AL Central - Twins

AL West - A's

Wildcard - Yanks

NLCS Mets over Dodgers

ALCS Yanks over BoSox

World Series - Mets over Yanks

I figured I'd go ahead and pick the Cubs to win the Central, so that when they win 60 games, you Cub fans can blame me.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I can't wait for the season to start, so figured I'd go ahead and get this thread started. Any predictions on the season?

NL East - Mets

NL Central - Cubs

NL West - Dodgers

Wildcard - Cards

AL East - BoSox

AL Central - Twins

AL West - A's

Wildcard - Yanks

NLCS Mets over Dodgers

ALCS Yanks over BoSox

I figured I'd go ahead and pick the Cubs to win the Central, so that when they win 60 games, you Cub fans can blame me.

I can't decide if my BoSox will be that good this year. Depends a lot how the pitching pans out. The new Japanese guy (I'm not going to attempt to spell it) should be good, and I'm undecided if Schilling will pitch with a purpose since he didn't get his contract, or he doesn't have the stuff anymore to be a dominant pitcher. I really wish we would have picked up the rocket in the off season. I would have been nice to see him back in a Red Sox uniform.

Those poor Cubs fans. I'm not sure which is worse, not having a chance, or being a Braves fan and coming close every year but exiting the playoffs early.

I guess you think the Tigers were a one hit wonder???

NL East - Mets

NL Central - Cubs

NL West - Dodgers

Wildcard - Cards

AL East - BoSox

AL Central - Twins

AL West - A's

Wildcard - Yanks

NLCS Mets over Dodgers

ALCS Yanks over BoSox

I can't decide if my BoSox will be that good this year. Depends a lot how the pitching pans out. The new Japanese guy (I'm not going to attempt to spell it) should be good, and I'm undecided if Schilling will pitch with a purpose since he didn't get his contract, or he doesn't have the stuff anymore to be a dominant pitcher. I really wish we would have picked up the rocket in the off season. I would have been nice to see him back in a Red Sox uniform.

Those poor Cubs fans. I'm not sure which is worse, not having a chance, or being a Braves fan and coming close every year but exiting the playoffs early.

I guess you think the Tigers were a one hit wonder???

[/quote

I'm a Braves fan and it is pretty bad. They just can't seem to keep it together once their in the playoffs. :no:

NL East - Mets

NL Central - Cubs

NL West - Dodgers

Wildcard - Cards

AL East - BoSox

AL Central - Twins

AL West - A's

Wildcard - Yanks

NLCS Mets over Dodgers

ALCS Yanks over BoSox

:headscratch::sleeping:

The bravos return to greatness this year!! Early spring indications say that the Powers That Be have put their money where the problems were last year. I expect a bolstered bullpen and a stronger starting 3 this year with the return of Hampton. Should he stay healthy (big "if") the Braves will dominate once again.

only to lose in round one to the Astros.

^&$^%#&%*$^%*^&)*^)!!!!!!

NL East - Mets

NL Central - Cards

NL West - Padres

Wildcard - Cubs

AL East - Yankees

AL Central - White Sox

AL West - A's

Wildcard - Red Sox

World Series - Cubs over Yankees

Might as well go ahead and know it is jinxed before the season starts...

I think my beloved Red Sox will make the playoffs as the wild card. Heck, we were running away with the division last year until we had key injuries around the All-Star break. Jason Varitek is the heart and soul of that team and when he went down, bad luck just kept piling on after that. We were fortunate enough to get Doug Mirabelli back after Tek went down, which is good because he handles Wakefield better then Tek does. We also made a couple of good additions last year with Alex Cora's defense and Wily Mo Pena's offense. Then we make a great addition with Matsuzaka to the pitching rotation and it looks like he is going to be our number three guy in the rotation to start out the year. I am a little worried that they are experimenting with Palpabon as a starter during spring training given the fact he was so solid as a closer last year with 35 saves. Overall, I think we have a good chance to go all the way this year.

I really have not looked at the rest of the teams yet to make any predictions on how the divisions will finish but I do have an opinion on a few of them:

I really don't think Piniella will get the job done with the Cubs. I have never bought into him as a coach. He barely has a .500 win record as a manager and really has not done much since he won the World Series with the Reds back in 1990. I think he was the manager for the Mariners when they tied the record for most wins in a year, but given the talent he had, any decent manager could have did that, but he still did not close the deal because they still lost the ALCS that year.

Until the Braves find a manager that knows how to manage in the post season as well as the regular season, the Braves will, not make the it past the division championship if they even get into the playoffs. I love hearing some Braves fans talk about being a dynasty during that 14 straight division championship run, but only winning one World Series during that time. While that streak was impressive, what did it prove? I can tell you that it proved that Bobby Cox chokes as a manager in the post season.

The Cardinals are my favorite NL team. Tony LaRussa is one of my favorite managers of all time. I think he has a chance to add a third World Series ring this year, but it is becoming very difficult for the defending WS Champ to repeat in today's MLB environment.

I think he has a chance to add a third World Series ring this year, but it is becoming very difficult for the defending WS Champ to repeat in today's MLB environment.

I'd love that to happen, but I think the Cards have too many holes to fill in the starting rotation to really be a threat. Unless someone really comes out of no where in spring training, we have a Ace in Carpenter, and then basically 4 #4 or #5 starters . But I'd almost put the Cubs and the Astros in the same position. I mean, the Cubs signed Jason Marquis, who after giving me fits for three years, is going to spite me, and go 23-4 with a 2.04 era and win the Cy Young. :rolleyes:

ok the braves have beefed up their pitching. watch out to start a new run of east division titles

...without another World Series to show for it. :poke:

I know you Braves fans are real big on Bobby Cox because of those division title runs and it is a great accomplishment. He took that team from the cellar to being contenders. But, the Braves GM for all those years deserves to share a lot of that credit also. However, as I said, Bobby Cox hits a wall when it comes to the playoffs.

ok the braves have beefed up their pitching. watch out to start a new run of east division titles

...without another World Series to show for it. :poke:

I know you Braves fans are real big on Bobby Cox because of those division title runs and it is a great accomplishment. He took that team from the cellar to being contenders. But, the Braves GM for all those years deserves to share a lot of that credit also. However, as I said, Bobby Cox hits a wall when it comes to the playoffs.

I think the braves play in a weak division also. It's like winning Conference USA every year. Yeah, its an accomplishment, but its still not quite on par with the big boys. I don't think its they stop playing well, its just they get overmatched.

I think the braves play in a weak division also. It's like winning Conference USA every year. Yeah, its an accomplishment, but its still not quite on par with the big boys. I don't think its they stop playing well, its just they get overmatched.

Good point about the division they are in. Of course the still play all the other games against NL opponents outside their division, but as you alluded, if they were in a tougher division, the might not have had that string of division championships.

I just think Bobby Cox gets out-coached every time he is in the playoffs. Sometimes it happens early in the playoffs and sometimes it does not happen until the WS. You have to change your strategy in the playoffs as compared to the regular season and Cox seems to struggle with that. Also, with the talent that John Shuerholz brought to the Braves during that record setting streak of division championships, you have to wonder if any decent manager could have accomplished the same thing. On top if that, you then wonder if maybe great post season managers like Joe Torre or Tony LaRussa could have gotten Atlanta more then one WS Championship during that streak. I know Torre had his chance with coaching the Braves, but he also did not have the same talent level when he was there compared to what Cox had. Torre had Dale Murphy and Claudell Washington, but I could make a huge list of the offensive production that Cox has had, not to mention the awesome pitching staff Cox had that Torre did not have.

BTW...I read the other day that Tom Glavine is 10 wins away from 300, which means he should get it this year. I checked out Baseball Almanac and that would make him the 23rd member of the 300 win club. His former teammate, Greg Maddux was the last inductee back in 2004. If Roger Clemens does play this year, which is probably a sure thing, once Glavine gets #300 that would mean there would be three active 300 win pitchers in the majors. The next closest to 300 wins is Randy Johnson with 280, but I don't think his arm has 20 more wins left in it. Also, these days it is getting harder for a pitcher to make it in the 300 win club because of the changing role of the bullpen in the last few years. Starters are being pulled quicker, even when they have the lead, and thus the chances of them have a win blown by the bullpen has increased.

Good point about the division they are in. Of course the still play all the other games against NL opponents outside their division, but as you alluded, if they were in a tougher division, the might not have had that string of division championships.

I just think Bobby Cox gets out-coached every time he is in the playoffs. Sometimes it happens early in the playoffs and sometimes it does not happen until the WS. You have to change your strategy in the playoffs as compared to the regular season and Cox seems to struggle with that. Also, with the talent that John Shuerholz brought to the Braves during that record setting streak of division championships, you have to wonder if any decent manager could have accomplished the same thing. On top if that, you then wonder if maybe great post season managers like Joe Torre or Tony LaRussa could have gotten Atlanta more then one WS Championship during that streak. I know Torre had his chance with coaching the Braves, but he also did not have the same talent level when he was there compared to what Cox had. Torre had Dale Murphy and Claudell Washington, but I could make a huge list of the offensive production that Cox has had, not to mention the awesome pitching staff Cox had that Torre did not have.

BTW...I read the other day that Tom Glavine is 10 wins away from 300, which means he should get it this year. I checked out Baseball Almanac and that would make him the 23rd member of the 300 win club. His former teammate, Greg Maddux was the last inductee back in 2004. If Roger Clemens does play this year, which is probably a sure thing, once Glavine gets #300 that would mean there would be three active 300 win pitchers in the majors. The next closest to 300 wins is Randy Johnson with 280, but I don't think his arm has 20 more wins left in it. Also, these days it is getting harder for a pitcher to make it in the 300 win club because of the changing role of the bullpen in the last few years. Starters are being pulled quicker, even when they have the lead, and thus the chances of them have a win blown by the bullpen has increased.

Yeah, the term middle reliever is a relatively new phenomenon.

Also the power in the game has increased. Players put up much better numbers. Heck, even 2nd basemen are putting up significant power numbers. Weight training used to be taboo when it came to baseball, but now every player has a strict weight program with maybe the exception of Bartolo Colon and David Wells. I think Well's weight training of the 12 oz variety.

I'm not sure the NL East is weak. Since the NL went to three divisions, there is no question that they have sent more teams to the World Series than the other two divisions.

• 4 weeks later...

Opening day Sunday!!! Good luck to everyone's teams this year!!! Hard week for the Cards, three games with the Mets and then go to Houston for three.

I really don't think Piniella will get the job done with the Cubs. I have never bought into him as a coach. He barely has a .500 win record as a manager and really has not done much since he won the World Series with the Reds back in 1990. I think he was the manager for the Mariners when they tied the record for most wins in a year, but given the talent he had, any decent manager could have did that, but he still did not close the deal because they still lost the ALCS that year.

Good friend of mine who got drafted by the DRays but currently plays for another team was with Lou for 2 years.

Said he had heard great things but found none of them. Hated him as a manager AND Lou played him so it wasnt because he wasnt playing....just said that he was really arrogant, really didnt listen to any of the players, and very rarely made changes that were needed.

Thought he was grossly over-rated as a manager

What's the over/under on number of Cubs games before Lou throws his first base?

I think Lou will be good for the cubs...but then again, I'm a cubbie homer! The reason I think this is Lou seems to pay attention to details. The Cubs sucked the ast 2 years under Baker because of the small things: Not getting runs in from 3rd with less than 2 outs and defensive errors. Dusty's philosophy was oh well, bad break, we will get them next time. Bull crap! If you don't want the things to happen, work on them or get someone in the position to make them happen.

Also, I like the way they have sent Prior down to triple A. This shows the team that we don't need him, or Wood, to win ballgames. I think that has hurt the club in the past thinking that those 2 were going to be saviors when they came back.

BTW, how does it feel to be in last pace in the central Jarhead!!!

BTW, how does it feel to be in last pace in the central Jarhead!!!

:roflol: Good one...

The worst part is, I can't complain! I'm in the 5 year window... Doh!

Damn Blue Jays ruined my freakin opening day :(

WHY THE HELL DID RODNEY THROW AN 0-2 FASTBALL DOWN THE MIDDLE TO ****** TROY GLAUS>?????

AHAHHHHH

Do the rest of you NL Central fans have a feeling that the Brewers are going to be pretty darn good this year? Sheets looked incredible yesterday.

Archived