Great Good or Great Evil?

Tigermike

One Number To Ring Them All, One Number To Find Them: This sounds like a force for great evil, or great good:

Its motto, “One number for life,” pretty much says it all. At GrandCentral.com, you choose a new, single, unified phone number (more on this in a moment). You hand it out to everyone you know, instructing them to delete all your old numbers [home, cell, office] from their Rolodexes.

From now on, whenever somebody dials your new uninumber, all of your phones ring simultaneously, like something out of “The Lawnmower Man.”

No longer will anyone have to track you down by dialing each of your numbers in turn. No longer does it matter if you’re home, at work or on the road. Your new GrandCentral phone number will find you.

Not for me, I can think of times and places that I just don't want to answer the phone. But some of you might like it.

I completely agree about sometimes not wanting to answer the phone. My solution? I don't! ;)

I never understood why some people feel the phone should dictate their lives, or that it's somehow a crime to not answer a ringing phone. Don't have the willpower to ignore a ringing phone? ...turn it off or unplug it!

(Also, with most answering machines you can turn the volume to zero, so you can still get messages without being disturbed, but deal with them later when you're more interested in communicating.)

Kim and I visit a campground/resort in TN where you must turn off you pagers/cell phones when you get there. You are not allowed to have one within earshot of anyone else. For emergencies, your people call the office, they come get you. It makes for a very relaxing almosphere. One I intend to actively support.

Archived