This is news?

quietfan

NEWS(?) FLASH: Saban is doing what just about every athletic program in the country does:

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/birmingh....xml&coll=2

TUSCALOOSA - Alabama's football season is more than five months away, but coach Nick Saban is already keeping score.

Saban is recording academic missteps by his players, from skipped classes to late arrivals for study tables. He implores players to know - and meet - his expectations for classroom performance.

Accordingly, he has devised a "system of checks and balances," in which players receive positive or negative points for doing the right or wrong things academically.

"And if they accumulate negative points," Saban said, "they start to have consequences."

Saban, who said coaches personally check classroom attendance on occasion, would not disclose specifics, such as how many points are linked to a particular transgression. But it is clear Alabama's new coach believes winning is related to more than on-the-field performance.

"It's the principles and values and the standard you set for your players," Saban said.

His system of accountability refers not only to academics, but to off-the-field issues, he said in a recent interview with The Birmingham News. No player will act without knowing the consequences, he said.

Current players were not made available for comment. But at least one player's father said he is a fan of the way Saban plans to conduct his program's rules and regulations.

"Any system that sets the bar and has a guy step up to where he knows what to expect is going to be beneficial," said Bill Oakley, an Alabama alum whose son is receiver Will Oakley. "Just so they know where they need to be to earn playing time."

(more)

Well, maybe at UAT this is news as compared to Shula's tenure. But maybe the B'hma News is just desperate to find anything Bama to talk about between now and their spring practice...

I wonder how many demerits it takes to get a bowl of ice cream these days?

"It's the principles and values and the standard you set for your players," Saban said.

Saban actually said this?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Right now, they are looking for ANY kind of return on their $32mil investment, no matter how small it may be. Last week it was the ground breaking news that they actually have to work out during the offseason.

vrs. taking Directed Reading Sociology classes? :cheer:

That's an excellent putdown and all, except for the fact its a legitimate class... Try this one:

vs. taking Ballroom Dancing?

vrs. taking Directed Reading Sociology classes? :cheer:

That's an excellent putdown and all, except for the fact its a legitimate class... Try this one:

vs. taking Ballroom Dancing?

10RC lists Chairstacking 101 as a "legitimate" Class. :cheer:

Saban, who said coaches personally check classroom attendance on occasion,

The Saban rule, do as I say, not as I would do.

Translation, Saban can not take the word of any player as a man, on the question of class attendenace and academic intergrity; because put in the same situation, Saban would lie through his teeth to take the path of least resistenance.

First, cns implements a totally new and radical off-season conditioning program. Now, through his marvelous innovations, he has created a one-of-a-kind classroom study program for his "student" athletes.

When will we finally catch up to all the outstanding and unique innovations that cns is implementing at the crapstone?? If we don't start our own programs immediately, we will fall behind quickly. :rolleyes:

10RC lists Chairstacking 101 as a "legitimate" Class. :cheer:

10RC is a little French tank. What are you talking about?

yea, im a little confused about that one too.

I heard this morning that $aban has NOT taken the TVs out of the weight room like was previously reported. Also that $aban has NOT forbidden addition tattoos like was also previously reported. Do you think he "gasp" could have lied? No, not NTP.

1) Anything CNS has to say about academics is just laughable. He was under investigation twice at :lsu: for shaky tutoring etc. Linkage

2) Since, what, 40% or more of his footbal team is majoring in Home Ec, I guess they can study together.

3) Saban's Book has a chapter on HONESTY!!!!!

Saban, who was lambasted by some in the national media and called a "liar" and a "fraud" for saying he would not take the Alabama job, then leaving Miami, has a long passage on honesty.

Under the heading "Honesty is the best policy" the Alabama coach writes: "Lying will get me nowhere. I am not perfect and I'm sure I have fibbed in the past or pushed the rules to the boundaries, but stepping over the line is something I try to avoid."

Saban says it is wrong to lie to your wife and family, and ends the chapter by writing: "Do not lie at work, because somehow, some way, the truth always comes out."

Anyone here think he actually wrote that book?

I read that article this morning and commented to my wife that it reminded me of the child behavior system we used years ago on our children.

Archived