ESPN making a change in MNF crew

WarTiger

Discuss....

Linky Dinky

Theismann may do college football for ESPN/ABC

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Joe Theismann, replaced by Ron Jaworski as an analyst on Monday Night Football, says he's been offered a job doing college football for the ESPN/ABC networks.

"I've been an NFL guy since 1974, so for 33 years now that's been my life," Theismann said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "Now you are faced with the prospect of that not being in your future. It would be like training to be a doctor or a lawyer and having them say, 'we would like you to change to another profession.' I need some time to think about it."

Theismann, who led the Washington Redskins to two Super Bowls and played at Notre Dame, is being replaced on MNF by Jaworski, the former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback.

The network announced Monday that Jaworski will join play-by-play announcer Mike Tirico and analyst Tony Kornheiser in the booth.

Critics had questioned the chemistry in the booth, but Theismann said that wasn't an issue.

"During a football telecast, it's about the game," he said. "When you get two good teams you get a high rating no matter who is in the booth. When you get two lousy teams, you get bad ratings."

Theismann said he was told Friday that he had done a great job, but that the network had decided to make a change.

Norby Williamson, ESPN's executive vice president for studio and remote production, said Monday that ESPN had great respect for Theismann as an analyst and would offer him another job.

"We would be making a mistake if we cannot get that done with him," he said.

Theismann said he will consider other opportunities, and is in no rush to make any decision.

"I haven't ruled out anything," he said. "I've never been in this situation. I've never had this kind of time before... I have to ask myself, 'would I have the same passion for anything else?' I believe it's all about loving what you do."

Oh good God. That means there's a possibility that the halfwit might be calling Auburn games.

If so, I think a sniper atop Hailey Center would be a really good idea. It would go something like this...

"Jordan Hare Stadium. Auburn, Alabama. We're here for a great interconference matchup between the Auburn Tigers and the Kansas State Wildcats. I'm Ron Franklin. And helping me out in the booth is a name you all know...Joe Theissman. Joe?"

"Thanks, Ron, and I'd like to say that it's good to be here in Awwww burrrn..." BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! "Ack! Ack! Gurgle....[Death rattle]"

"Joe? Joe? Well, we're having technical difficulties up here in the booth. Let's go down to the field and...."

Oh good God. That means there's a possibility that the halfwit might be calling Auburn games.

If so, I think a sniper atop Hailey Center would be a really good idea. It would go something like this...

"Jordan Hare Stadium. Auburn, Alabama. We're here for a great interconference matchup between the Auburn Tigers and the Kansas State Wildcats. I'm Ron Franklin. And helping me out in the booth is a name you all know...Joe Theissman. Joe?"

"Thanks, Ron, and I'd like to say that it's good to be here in Awwww burrrn..." BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! "Ack! Ack! Gurgle....[Death rattle]"

"Joe? Joe? Well, we're having technical difficulties up here in the booth. Let's go down to the field and...."

wheres the Hailey Center?

I agree..I hate Theisman... I hate franklin too, so the two of them together would just be hideous for me..LOL..

I agree..I hate Theisman... I hate franklin too, so the two of them together would just be hideous for me..LOL..

What? I love watching a game that Franklin calls, he is the lone pro SEC guy left at ESPN. Him and Mike Gottfreid calling games back in the day were the voices of prime time SEC football, no other duo could or can hang with them. Now Ron is stuck with Bob Davie in the booth and doing Duece games.

What? I love watching a game that Franklin calls, he is the lone pro SEC guy left at ESPN. Him and Mike Gottfreid calling games back in the day were the voices of prime time SEC football, no other duo could or can hang with them. Now Ron is stuck with Bob Davie in the booth and doing Duece games.

franklin is unfortunately back to espn doing the prime time game...this was announced about a month ago. I guess we all have or opinions and will have to agree to disagree, but there couldn't be a worse announcer (except for keith jackson) in any sport than ron franklin, add gottfried in the mix only makes it worse imo. I hate listening to both of them.

topic at hand...let's hope they dump theisman to espn2 or espnu and not on the prime channel.

Well not everyone can appreciate the good things in life. Who would you like to have doing the prime time game on ESPN? I'm glad Franklin is back doing the big games, ESPN has done some dumb personel moves as of late.

franklin is unfortunately back to espn doing the prime time game...this was announced about a month ago. I guess we all have or opinions and will have to agree to disagree, but there couldn't be a worse announcer (except for keith jackson) in any sport than ron franklin, add gottfried in the mix only makes it worse imo. I hate listening to both of them.

topic at hand...let's hope they dump theisman to espn2 or espnu and not on the prime channel.

Is there an announcer/commentator that you do like?

I like Franklin and Gottfreid as well. I think I just like their voices and associate it with college football from while I was growing up. They were constantly on ESPN - and so were we since we were incredibly mediocre in the mid-late 90s.

I personally dont care that much what they say as long as they dont have an annoying voice (Davies, Danielson, the woman from ESPN Big11 morning games).

Is there an announcer/commentator that you do like?

I like Franklin and Gottfreid as well. I think I just like their voices and associate it with college football from while I was growing up. They were constantly on ESPN - and so were we since we were incredibly mediocre in the mid-late 90s.

I personally dont care that much what they say as long as they dont have an annoying voice (Davies, Danielson, the woman from ESPN Big11 morning games).

I like Franklin and Gottfreid as well I think they worked well together and I always knew it was a huge game when they were calling it! I liked Theisman on Monday night football he was a lot better than the other 2

I like Franklin. I saw in in the ABC store in Opelika one time the day of a game. Can't remember the game, but he was in there and was not noticed by anyone but me and a friend. We got behind him in line and told him to have a good game...He looked back and said thanks and kept walking.

The girl at the registered said...who was that guy?

Wouldn't Theismann be better than Lou Holtz?

Big deal. So would the average chimp. Or Alzheimer's patient. Or Shaunika, the girl who typically rings up my groceries at Publix.

Some don't like Theisman. I love listening to him. He knows the game very well. He can sometimes be a bit arrogant but overall I enjoy listening to him.

I didnt like him and Korn though on MNF...didnt mix well, imo.

You think they woulda dumped kornheiser. I like him ok, but not for mnf.

I don't like Tirico or Kornheiser for MNF. Too much talk about movies, etc. I quite frankly, don't care about Matthew McConaughey's new film or whether or not he likes [iNSERT STAR PLAYER NAME HERE]. It gets really annoying. It seemed like Joe T. was the only one always focused on the game.

Wouldn't Theismann be better than Lou Holtz?

Big deal. So would the average chimp. Or Alzheimer's patient. Or Shaunika, the girl who typically rings up my groceries at Publix.

True.

Archived