Commentary on Saban

AU alum

I only have two things to say.

Hey Bammer 5 in a row

and Hey Bammer get ready for the Beatdown!

You are welcome.

who really cares? the media and auburn fans apparently. thats about it. none of the bama fans i know really care about closed practices, and theres been a ton of press conferences and player interviews after practices over the past few weeks. even an interview with major applewhite. why does it make yall so upset? personally, as long as things are improving, i could care less if they closed the a-day game for all i'm concerned. ok, well that would probably tick some fans off, but you get what i'm saying ;)

He could have the rally monkey conducting all interviews for all I care, but the media will not be so kind after being shunned when Boxcar Willie loses his first game this year.

I think that was the original point of the thread and the Moon article.

who really cares? the media and auburn fans apparently. thats about it. none of the bama fans i know really care about closed practices, and theres been a ton of press conferences and player interviews after practices over the past few weeks. even an interview with major applewhite. why does it make yall so upset? personally, as long as things are improving, i could care less if they closed the a-day game for all i'm concerned. ok, well that would probably tick some fans off, but you get what i'm saying ;)

Let me make an observation that I know will come off sounding like typical rival stuff. I truly think most Bama fans are giving Saban a free pass on everything right now. I think that most fans are so ecstatic about having what they perceive is the first legitimate big name coach at the helm since Bear Bryant, that they're willing to overlook what they would otherwise rip another coach for. I'll admit that I believe he's the best you've had but time will tell.

His handling of the entire Miami fiasco was nothing short of embarrasing. It was national news and Nick Saban was being ripped for weeks by virtually every media outlet in existence. For Heaven's sake, I heard Dick Vitale go off on two major rants about how Nick Saban set the credibility of the entire coaching profession back light years with his antics. Dick Vitale? The man loves everyone. All the while, I never heard ONE Bama fan concede that their new coach did one thing wrong. The spin was mind boggling and all anyone could talk about was how we finally got us a real coach.

You're kidding yourself if you don't admit you're at least a little P.O.'d about how he's giving the back of his hand to the press and staying tight lipped about a lot of the stuff we as fans have become accustomed to having access to. I'd be upset if a new coach came in at Auburn and started closing practices, denied access to players, limited access to assistants etc. And...on TOP of that, had just caused an avalanche of criticism to be leveled at him for taking lying, uh "Coachspeak" to new heights. What most folks on here are saying is that Nick Saban may be a great coach, but he's fast making more than a few enemies in the press. If he starts losing a few, and that will happen, the honeymoon will be over in a heartbeat and I believe some of the fans will change their tunes much quicker as well.

I have talked to plenty that wish they knew more about what was going on. They are not mad (yet). There have been some player interviews but not a "ton". And outised of Colonel Appleknocker what other assistants have been on radio or T.V.? What about def coord Steele? I saw an article in the paper about him, but I don't know if he was even quoted.

The issue is that the fans are giving Saban a pass and thats o.k., its your coach, but don't expect the media to go along with it.

I have talked to plenty that wish they knew more about what was going on. They are not mad (yet). There have been some player interviews but not a "ton". And outised of Colonel Appleknocker what other assistants have been on radio or T.V.? What about def coord Steele? I saw an article in the paper about him, but I don't know if he was even quoted.

The issue is that the fans are giving Saban a pass and thats o.k., its your coach, but don't expect the media to go along with it.

he has no obligation to do anything with the media. i don't recall anywhere in his contract where it says "you must do X amount of press conferences and X amount of interviews with these certain media outlets". this is just a case of sour grapes. the mobile press register had an almost page long exclusive Q&A

in sunday's paper. i think thats what your boy is so upset about; he didn't get it. the last part of your statement is dead on: the fans are giving Saban a pass and thats o.k., its your coach. you're absolutely right. any of the media who get all upset about the way he does things are just like josh moon, and taking out their frustration that they didn't get any time with him. i think i need to call the waaaahmbulance for this guy's little temper tantrum. lets break his article down a little.

On Friday, after the Crimson Tide's first scrimmage of the spring, Saban refused to make players available to the media and opened the scrimmage up for only the first six minutes.

true, but he did hold a press conference after the scrimmage. players were available for interviews after yesterday afternoon's practice also (4/10 practice). the practices and scrimmages aren't there for the media's benefit; they're there for the players benefit. with ALOT to cover and learn, i doubt they need alot of distraction.

Let's be real here, Nick Saban's reputation is mostly hype.

do i really need to address this? two SEC championships and a MNC in what 4 years???

In truth, he's not as successful as Auburn's Tommy Tuberville. The two have roughly the same coaching records and Tuberville has a better record in head-to-head meetings.

again.....two SEC championships and an MNC. CTT has i think 1 shared SEC title? (of course correct me if i'm wrong). don't get me wrong; i think CTT is an above average coach. his team is well disciplined and has been wonderful on the field and has tons of potential. he is definitely above average. i'm not saying that CNS will destroy all and he is the absolute greatest and everyone should bow down, or that he's so much greater than CTT. but he isn't chopped liver either...we could have done alot worse.

There's not an Alabama fan alive who believes Tuberville is anything other than an average coach. And maybe he is. But that leaves a serious question: If Tuberville is considered average, how has Saban managed to achieve his big reputation?

see comments above....

Without the media, Nick Saban would probably still be churning out .500 seasons at Michigan State.

how much more obvious can it get that this guy is just pitching a temper tantrum?

The irony, of course, is that none of this hurts the media. The fact that those Alabama beat reporters don't have to stand on a field watching a practice isn't exactly bamboo shoots under the fingernails. And let me assure you, not being forced to sit through a Saban press conference is far more reward than punishment.

so, what are you ranting for?

I guess this proves that a closed practice at Bama is more news worthy than a spring game at au... Hell, I didn't even know you guys played, until I saw the replay on CSS.

CTT has i think 1 shared SEC title

kinda impossible seeing as there's this thing called the SEC championship game, but nevertheless i agree that it is a stupid crybaby article.

I guess this proves that a closed practice at Bama is more news worthy than a spring game at au... Hell, I didn't even know you guys played, until I saw the replay on CSS.

we don't even have a team, Auburn will be lucky to field 22 guys to play this fall.

But since Auburn completed it's spring several weeks ago I guess there is nothing else to

report on in this state regarding college football except some drivel about closed practices.

we don't even have a team, Auburn will be lucky to field 22 guys to play this fall.

But since Auburn completed it's spring several weeks ago I guess there is nothing else to

report on in this state regarding college football except some drivel about closed practices.

Troy and UAB have closed their practices?

No, it's just the local media is picking up on what the national media already knows. Your fan base and Fineturd are the only ones defending this JERK's actions.

We tried to tell you about Fran.... We tried to tell you about Shula. Maybe some day you guys will get a clue.

I haven't written anything for several weeks, but I have been following this thread for a couple of days.

Three pages have been dedicated to one of the biggest non-stories of the year, and no one seems to have grasped the irony of the whole thing.

This guy seems to be having delusions of relevance. The media, especially the local newspapers, are losing readers, respect, and advertising dollars by the ton. They have proven time and time again recently that they will be more than happy to make up a story if one is not available. They flaunt their bias and weak writing abilities daily to what is left of their audience, who buys the rags to check out the obits and specials at Piggly Wiggly.

As if that wasn't enough, the sportswriters are usually considered lower lifeforms than other "reporters". They rank in my file slightly above that of leper, Jehova Witness, IRS auditors who are currently serving time for child molestation. 95% of their drivel is slanted opinion coming from guys who have usually not played the game since high school if ever and couldn't even beat their kids at NCAA '07 on X-Box.

Other than a few Auburn fans who delight in anything negative towards Alabama, did this article mean anything? All it did was alienate a percentage of his reader base and probably remove his name from any future interviews and PC's at UA.

I personally have never thought practices should be open to the media...ANYWHERE. This is the same logic that would let reporters run free in a war zone. Nothing positive can come from practices being open. The spring games are designed to give fans a taste without allowing the media blockheads any information to pervert.

The press is worthless when the press tries to make the news instead of report news.

All of the assistants were interviewed via the press twice. It is Saban's policy that his assistants are not interviewed. And every single one of the assistants said they loved that policy.

Also, why is it only a big deal when Saban's practices are closed? Shula's practices have been closed for 4 years. I don't get it. All of you guys who are saying you know Alabama people who aren't mad about the closed practices...yet...or know some who are...I don't get it. Why are they mad now? Its been this way for 4 years.

Bottom line, Saban doesn't owe you, me or the media ANYTHING. They don't have a RIGHT to interview the assistants. If Saban says his assistants don't do interviews, and his assistants WANT it that way...why is that sinister? He doesn't answer to me or the media. People get all mixed up when they think the world revolves around them.

All of the assistants were interviewed via the press twice. It is Saban's policy that his assistants are not interviewed. And every single one of the assistants said they loved that policy.

Also, why is it only a big deal when Saban's practices are closed? Shula's practices have been closed for 4 years. I don't get it. All of you guys who are saying you know Alabama people who aren't mad about the closed practices...yet...or know some who are...I don't get it. Why are they mad now? Its been this way for 4 years.

Bottom line, Saban doesn't owe you, me or the media ANYTHING. They don't have a RIGHT to interview the assistants. If Saban says his assistants don't do interviews, and his assistants WANT it that way...why is that sinister? He doesn't answer to me or the media. People get all mixed up when they think the world revolves around them.

How do you know the assistants "love the policy"? They can't talk to the media.

Also I know NS doesn't owe the media anything, and therefore the media doesn't owe him anything. They are free to write what they want, even if it is negative. And since the information coming out of UAT will be limited and very controlled, some in the media will thrive off rumors whether true or not. And since the UAT nation is supporting NS in his policy, then they should not be upset/mad at what gets written. I have heard many a UAT fan castigate Josh Moon for this article this past week, just because he stated his opinion.

What do the UAT fans think about what NS did to Ivan Maisel this week? Having an interview set up this week and then blowing him off and not meeting with him. I would think from a p.r. perspective you would want the media on your side as much as possible.

Also I know NS doesn't owe the media anything, and therefore the media doesn't owe him anything. They are free to write what they want, even if it is negative. And since the information coming out of UAT will be limited and very controlled, some in the media will thrive off rumors whether true or not. And since the UAT nation is supporting NS in his policy, then they should not be upset/mad at what gets written. I have heard many a UAT fan castigate Josh Moon for this article this past week, just because he stated his opinion.

What do the UAT fans think about what NS did to Ivan Maisel this week? Having an interview set up this week and then blowing him off and not meeting with him. I would think from a p.r. perspective you would want the media on your side as much as possible.

I know the policy, because as I stated in my previous post, they WERE interviewed twice. And they ALL stated they loved the new policy because it allowed them to all focus on football. Now, either you take what they said at face value, or you call them liars.

Your logic that because pracitices are closed, the media is allowed to defame him at every turn is ridiculous (and quite short sighted). And as a fan, because I'm OK with closed practices, I should be HAPPY that people write lies and misinformation about my coach and my program? No...that's a jump in logic that makes no sense.

As far as Maisel, you should read his follow up article posted today. You will be more informed in regards to that situation.

Funny thing is, you guys swear up and down...all the media is pro Bama. If this guy would have written the same thing about Teletubby, you all would be writing letters left and right.

By the way, this guy is another AU fan who doesn't even try to hide it in his journalism. I swear, at least the Bama homers aren't so obvious about their hatred.

What would spring be without the beeeotchy whine of a bammergrad? You are like one long broken record.

What would spring be without the beeeotchy whine of a bammergrad? You are like one long broken record.

Way to address my valid argument.

I know the policy, because as I stated in my previous post, they WERE interviewed twice. And they ALL stated they loved the new policy because it allowed them to all focus on football. Now, either you take what they said at face value, or you call them liars.

Your logic that because pracitices are closed, the media is allowed to defame him at every turn is ridiculous (and quite short sighted). And as a fan, because I'm OK with closed practices, I should be HAPPY that people write lies and misinformation about my coach and my program? No...that's a jump in logic that makes no sense.

As far as Maisel, you should read his follow up article posted today. You will be more informed in regards to that situation.

I know NS apologized for blowing him off. So if you apologize you must have done something wrong

Also, who said defame the coach, or lies and misinformation. All I said is the media may chase rumors more than usual just to have a story. And as far as reporting rumours, see Mike Price and Mike Dubose. UAT coaching past is filled with rumours being true. So in the end they were not lies and information.

Funny thing is, you guys swear up and down...all the media is pro Bama. If this guy would have written the same thing about Teletubby, you all would be writing letters left and right.

By the way, this guy is another AU fan who doesn't even try to hide it in his journalism. I swear, at least the Bama homers aren't so obvious about their hatred.

yall are the ones whining about OUR coach's policy....not us.

Those Dadgum Anti-Bama Biased ESPN Guys

Saban, media off to prickly start in Alabama

Associated Press

MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Coach Nick Saban's honeymoon with the media didn't last very long at Alabama.

Yet to take the field for anything but a practice with the Crimson Tide, Saban has found himself on the defensive lately. The $4 million-a-year coach is dealing with critical columns, radio talk shows and reporters' questions about restrictions imposed on the media since his arrival.

Saban insists he isn't doing anything differently from previous coaching stops -- or from other college coaches.

"I don't know if I really do things that much differently than everybody else," Saban said Thursday during a teleconference with reporters. "I just think people lately, at least since I went to Miami and came here, a lot of people seem to want to point out things I do differently.

"It may not be as different from everybody else in a lot of ways."

The Saban Way is somewhat different for Tuscaloosa. Saban has allowed only limited access to players and assistant coaches, alternating days when he and Tide players are available to the media. Assistant coaches generally don't speak publicly.

Saban also closed last Friday's scrimmage at Bryant-Denny Stadium, while such events typically were open to the media under his predecessors at Alabama. Allowing the media to attend only a few minutes of practice sessions, however, is a carryover from former Bama coaches, including Mike Shula, who was fired to make way for Saban.

Saban's restrictions have prompted critical columns in state papers, as well as several major Web sites. He said he called and apologized to SI.com writer Stewart Mandel for brusquely refusing to do a previously scheduled interview after a scrimmage.

"I want to have a good relationship with the media," Saban said. "I have a lot of respect for what the media does for our program and for our players. I've always had that.

"I try to create a balance that I feel is good for what we want to accomplish here and what gives you the opportunity as the media to do your job effectively. I try to give as much positive information as I can relative to what's happening in the program."

Saban said he might adopt "a little more flexibility" in his access rules once he builds relationships and trust with Alabama media who cover the Tide. But he also has made it clear that his first priority is winning and rebuilding a storied program that has been up-and-down in recent years.

"I respect what everybody does, and I hope they respect what we're trying to do," Saban said.

He also has sparred verbally with reporters at times. Some of that, he said, is meant in good humor. The ultra-intense Saban insists he has lightened up over the years.

"I do a lot of kidding around sometimes with the media in our press conferences," Saban said. "I hope everybody takes things that are said in jest. That's how they're meant.

"Everybody used to say I'm too serious. Now that I'm a little more lighthearted in some of the things, I guess you get criticized for that."

Alabama hired Saban away from the Miami Dolphins with an eight-year, $32 million deal in January that made him college football's highest paid coach. Shortly after he was hired, Saban came under fire for using what many consider a derogatory term for Cajuns during an off-the-record talk with reporters from Miami that wound up posted on the Internet.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Also, who said defame the coach, or lies and misinformation. All I said is the media may chase rumors more than usual just to have a story. And as far as reporting rumours, see Mike Price and Mike Dubose. UAT coaching past is filled with rumours being true. So in the end they were not lies and information.

The article that is the premise of this thread said Saban hasn't allowed any player interviews nor assitant coach interviews. Thats a lie.

He also painted a picture of masses of unhappy Alabama fans in regards to the practice being closed. Another lie.

He then suggested that he owed the national championship rings to the media. Thats idiotic.

Archived