Commentary on Saban

AU alum

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p...337/1002/SPORTS

April 8, 2007

COMMENTARY: Saban's stingy media policies only hurting fans

By Josh Moon

Montgomery Advertiser

The hypocrisy of Nick Sa ban is astonishing. So far this spring, the University of Alabama head coach has blown off the media several times.

He's prevented reporters from speaking to players and assistant coaches most of the time. On Friday, after the Crimson Tide's first scrimmage of the spring, Saban refused to make players available to the media and opened the scrimmage up for only the first six minutes.

This from a guy who owes most of his financial success to the very media he's now giving the shaft.

Let's be real here, Nick Saban's reputation is mostly hype.

He was overrated at Michigan State, overrated at LSU and rated about right in Miami. He's an average coach who, through mostly media attention, has garnered this reputation of being a great coach.

In truth, he's not as successful as Auburn's Tommy Tuberville. The two have roughly the same coaching records and Tuberville has a better record in head-to-head meetings.

There's not an Alabama fan alive who believes Tuberville is anything other than an average coach. And maybe he is. But that leaves a serious question: If Tuberville is considered average, how has Saban managed to achieve his big reputation?

The answer is simple -- the media.

When he needed the press for his personal advancement, we were great guys to have around.

He played up the hype every chance he got early in his career, managed to get his name mentioned in a variety of different coaching searches and was just good enough to avoid an incredibly bad season that would've hurt his reputation.

Now, when he's at his pinnacle and doesn't really need the personal help, he's managed to make it seem as though the media is out to damage him and the university he works for.

The truth is we've done nothing but aid both.

For the University of Alabama, media coverage means millions of dollars every year. The exposure from football draws students from all over the country. That's more money.

The TV networks will plop down another wad of cash for the right to broadcast the Crimson Tide's games. That's more money. All of those newspaper stories generate more interest and involvement from fans, meaning ticket sales, memorabilia sales and concession sales go up. That's more money.

And all of that extra money means UA can fork over $4 million a year to the guy who's now thumbing his nose at the people who have done a whole lot to make him the highest paid college coach in the country.

Without the media, Nick Saban would probably still be churning out .500 seasons at Michigan State.

With us, he's Alabama's version of Oprah.

Had he not received the exposure from the various media outlets that have covered him and his teams over the years, no one would care about this guy. No one would be chasing after him, checkbook in hand.

The worst part of it is Saban's unjustified sense of self-importance, as if he somehow isn't just a football coach. Oh, he can spin that and say he's molding young people, shaping youth or whatever. But the bottom line is that he's not saving the world out there on a football field. He's coaching a game.

It's so comical to me to hear this guy justify blowing off media interviews, as if the 30 minutes he'd spend answering questions each day might just undermine all the great and meaningful work he's doing for society.

And by the way, you realize that we're only talking about 30 minutes or so each day, right? That's all any of the reporters ask for. They grab a handful of players and coaches as they come off the practice field, fire a few questions (mostly insignificant questions about how practice went) and are all wrapped up in about a half hour.

That's where your daily coverage of Alabama football comes from. And don't tell me you don't like that.

The irony, of course, is that none of this hurts the media. The fact that those Alabama beat reporters don't have to stand on a field watching a practice isn't exactly bamboo shoots under the fingernails. And let me assure you, not being forced to sit through a Saban press conference is far more reward than punishment.

The people losing out in this are the fans. Like it or not, all of you rely on the various media outlets across the state to provide you with information on Alabama football. And a lot of great reporters across this state have worked pretty hard to try and meet your expectations.

So don't blame us if that's no longer the case. Instead, call up your head coach and see if he has the time to give all of you individual reports on the team.

Josh Moon, a sports writer for the Advertiser, can be reached by phone at 334-240-0191 or by e-mail at jmoon@gannett.com.

Funny thing is, you guys swear up and down...all the media is pro Bama. If this guy would have written the same thing about Teletubby, you all would be writing letters left and right.

By the way, this guy is another AU fan who doesn't even try to hide it in his journalism. I swear, at least the Bama homers aren't so obvious about their hatred.

Funny thing is, you guys swear up and down...all the media is pro Bama. If this guy would have written the same thing about Teletubby, you all would be writing letters left and right.

By the way, this guy is another AU fan who doesn't even try to hide it in his journalism. I swear, at least the Bama homers aren't so obvious about their hatred.

What hatred? Josh Moon is matter-of-factly telling it like it is. It's spring practice. Why the national security lock down on interviews with asst coaches/players? I could somewhat understand it during the season as a way of heading off a player blurting out some stupid bulletin board material right before a big rivalry game but now?!? What for? Makes me wonder -- is $atan so insecure in his coaching ability that he can't let his assts or players comment openly to the press? C'mon you bammie fans -- admit it. You're wondering what the deal is too.

What hatred? Josh Moon is matter-of-factly telling it like it is. It's spring practice. Why the national security lock down on interviews with asst coaches/players? I could somewhat understand it during the season as a way of heading off a player blurting out some stupid bulletin board material right before a big rivalry game but now?!? What for? Makes me wonder -- is $atan so insecure in his coaching ability that he can't let his assts or players comment openly to the press? C'mon you bammie fans -- admit it. You're wondering what the deal is too.

First of all, the guy is flat out lying. There are 12 different player interviews posted on Crimson Tradition. In every one of them, the press had FULL access to them, not just CT. Secondly, its VERY normal for practices to be closed. None of the fans I know are complaining about it. Only the Auburn fan media members who want our coach to look bad.

And that line about Saban owing all his success to the media? Get a freaking clue. That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Bottom line, its a poorly written piece that was nothing but a hatchet job.

uh, best i know, i've been watching videos of press conferences after nearly every practice and the mobile press register just printed an exclusive interview they had with him in todays paper. i've seen interviews from about 6 different players over the past week, and i saw an interview from major applewhite last week. what are they talking about? i haven't even heard any fan complain about the closed practices....just the media and auburn fans.

I said this on here since the day Saban got hired that he would clash with the media and already its happening.

I don't think the guy is that far off in terms of Saban's obsessive media thoughts....

The Baton Rouge media got this often and people forget that the Advocate ran several similar articles in Saban's first few years.

Now, I don't agree with his Saban is over-rated parts BUT I do think he does make a good point on Saban's fanatical restrictions on so many aspects of the team.

If the media thinks its bad now...wait until Saban loses some games, ext....they havent seen anything yet. He may just bomb the media room one day to get rid of them for a few weeks.

No, I read the Montgomery Advertiser every day. This guy is an Alabama fan. He is the beat reporter for Alabama State football and occasionally does other articles/commentaries.

I read a bit of over-reaction in this by a Josh Moon upset that he didn't get the access he wanted on Friday. I wonder if his editorial would have been quite so harsh if he had waited another week or so to calm down.

That being said, I do think Saban is going to continue to have run-ins with the press and eventually with fans over his seeming arrogance and "gag rule" on his players & coaches. I expect it's only a matter of time before a big time booster. a distinguished alum, or parent of an important player/recruit gets snubbed by a "too busy" Saban, and then an undercurrent of dissatisfaction will begin to grow. Apparently St Nick hasn't learned that PR, and particularly PR with the powers-that-be and good-ol'-boys, is a major part of his job description--especially at uat.

As for his coaching ability, it is kind of hard to argue with an MNC ring and/or $4 million a year. On the other hand, he has yet to produce a single undefeated season and other than his MNC year has generally lost 2, 3 or more games each year. It wasn't too long ago that Bama fans were dogging CTT as always only an 8-9-win-per-season coach, yet that seems more typical of Saban's overall record to date. Certainly Saban could prove be better than that at uat, but the jury is still out. Let's see where he is in a couple more years.

Of course, 8-9 wins per season will not be enough to satisfy the hardcore uat fans (Heck, would it satisfy Auburn fans?). Bama fans will give Saban a honeymoon of 2-3 seasons, but he's going to have to eventually produce 10-11 win seasons consistently to keep them happy. And the worse his PR relationship with fans & the press, the shorter his honeymoon will be. Can he do this in a much tougher recruiting war zone than he's ever dealt with before?

Funny thing is, if he reaches that consistent 10-11 win plateau the Bama faithful expect, he will just be off to the next greener pasture in his myopic gaze.

I read a bit of over-reaction in this by a Josh Moon upset that he didn't get the access he wanted on Friday. I wonder if his editorial would have been quite so harsh if he had waited another week or so to calm down.

That being said, I do think Saban is going to continue to have run-ins with the press and eventually with fans over his seeming arrogance and "gag rule" on his players & coaches. I expect it's only a matter of time before a big time booster. a distinguished alum, or parent of an important player/recruit gets snubbed by a "too busy" Saban, and then an undercurrent of dissatisfaction will begin to grow. Apparently St Nick hasn't learned that PR, and particularly PR with the powers-that-be and good-ol'-boys, is a major part of his job description--especially at uat.

As for his coaching ability, it is kind of hard to argue with an MNC ring and/or $4 million a year. On the other hand, he has yet to produce a single undefeated season and other than his MNC year has generally lost 2, 3 or more games each year. It wasn't too long ago that Bama fans were dogging CTT as always only an 8-9-win-per-season coach, yet that seems more typical of Saban's overall record to date. Certainly Saban could prove be better than that at uat, but the jury is still out. Let's see where he is in a couple more years.

Of course, 8-9 wins per season will not be enough to satisfy the hardcore uat fans (Heck, would it satisfy Auburn fans?). Bama fans will give Saban a honeymoon of 2-3 seasons, but he's going to have to eventually produce 10-11 win seasons consistently to keep them happy. And the worse his PR relationship with fans & the press, the shorter his honeymoon will be. Can he do this in a much tougher recruiting war zone than he's ever dealt with before?

Funny thing is, if he reaches that consistent 10-11 win plateau the Bama faithful expect, he will just be off to the next greener pasture in his myopic gaze.

Kinda sounds like another great Bammer coach.. Fear the Perk Part Deux!!!!!!!!

Josh Moon is not an Auburn fan.

Absolutely. Everything I have seen and/or heard about him before this column has had a dark shade of red attached.

Sounds like the sour grapes of being on the outside looking in to me.

He's more of an Auburn Fan than a crimson one... you can tell .. Saban or not.. He's no likey tidy..Josh Moon

Tide's got 15 with nine minutes to go in the third quarter and Auburn's defense is looking like, well, like it has all year.

AU's about to take the kickoff here. We'll see how the Tigers respond.

Auburn has recovered at the Bama 8.

One play. Welcome to the end zone Mr. Irons.

It's also had two clips of The Bear talking, and despite millions of dollars in really great renovations here at the stadium, they couldn't clean those Bear clips enough to make 'em understandable. You get "hmpph ahhhh rowr-rowr errrrrrr winner."

It's also had two clips of The Bear talking, and despite millions of dollars in really great renovations here at the stadium, they couldn't clean those Bear clips enough to make 'em understandable. You get "hmpph ahhhh rowr-rowr errrrrrr winner."

The 'true' bammers can only speak the word 'bear' in a sentence containing the phrase, "greatest football coach in history'. It would have been perfectly acceptable for Josh Moon to have said, "It's also had two clips of THE BEAR, greatest football coach in history, talking, and despite millions........................". Thus, I would classify him as a bammer.

BEST. QUOTE. EVAR!

I thought the same thing listening during the game. Rumble ROWW URGF DUFKMI AINT EDFNCV RUMBLE ROW A WINNER, followed immediately by 70,000 Ro Ti's.

Absolutely. Everything I have seen and/or heard about him before this column has had a dark shade of red attached.

Sounds like the sour grapes of being on the outside looking in to me.

Well, the moral of all this is to never argue (or tick off) people who buy ink by the barrel.

Well, the moral of all this is to never argue (or tick off) people who buy ink by the barrel.

Indeed. Yet there are a bunch of UAT fans out there that think Saban's dissing of the media is cool.

Schools pay media relations experts a good salary to try to keep stuff like this from happening, yet here's this Saban imbecile pissing the media types off on purpose.

All he's done so far is get the buzzards up in the air and circling. Just wait until he loses a couple of games next September and they'll smell blood and swoop. Can't wait!

Despite what Josh Moon or alot of you might think, the Media needs CNS not the other way around. CNS doesn't depend on the media for a job, the media depends on coaches like Nick Saban to keep their job.

Despite what Josh Moon or alot of you might think, the Media needs CNS not the other way around. CNS doesn't depend on the media for a job, the media depends on coaches like Nick Saban to keep their job.

i agree, moon sounds like dan patrick when he spewed his vomit at CTT saying college football needs espn more than espn needs college football. The media think that they are the gatekeepers when they are really nothing but staters of the obvious.

Most of the media is...but this in the Montgomery paper, BG. Huntsville, Bamarham, etc....puh-leeze.... <_<

:au::homer:

Most of the media is...but this in the Montgomery paper, BG. Huntsville, Bamarham, etc....puh-leeze.... <_<

HUH?

Ever heard of John "barner" Pruett? The Pruetts don't even try to HIDE their bias! I know his cousin, they're ALL BIG AU people!

HUH?

Ever heard of John "barner" Pruett? The Pruetts don't even try to HIDE their bias! I know his cousin, they're ALL BIG AU people!

Pruett's son was snubbed and never recruited by AU. John has no loyality towards AU.

I know Nick Saban's cousin's friend's neighbor and Nick Saban is still a LSU homer. Prepare for the coonass beatdown.

Hey Bammers - You can now add SI.COM to your list of AU homers. Since AU homers are the only ones that would ever question the great Sabear....

During a two-day visit to Alabama last week, I watched college football's first $4 million man patronize his team's beat writers throughout a 10-minute press conference, dress down a school official ("I don't have time for this s---," he barked) and blow off our pre-arranged interview.

HUH?

Pruett's son was snubbed and never recruited by AU. John has no loyality towards AU.

I know Nick Saban's cousin's friend's neighbor and Nick Saban is still a LSU homer. Prepare for the coonass beatdown.

Considering Pruett is an Auburn graduate he does a fair job of reporting both sides

Huntsville Times

AUBURN - Huntsville Times sports editor John Pruett was honored Friday with the "2007 Distinguished Alabama Community Sports Journalist Award" by the Auburn University Journalism Advisory Council.

Pruett, Times sports editor for more than 33 years and a member of the sports staff for more than 40 years, was one of five journalists who received plaques at the council's third annual awards luncheon.

"I'm proud to be on the undercard with such heavyweights in our profession," Pruett said in accepting the award.

Pruett graduated from Auburn University and Auburn High School. Returning to his alma mater and his hometown, he said, made the award the most special of his career.

"I've been fortunate to win some awards," Pruett said. "I can tell you truthfully that none of them meant as much as this one. It means the most because it comes from where I went to school and from my hometown. Even though I haven't lived here in the past 40 years, I've always considered Auburn my hometown."

Pruett was introduced by Lamar Logue, a retired high school teacher who was his classmate at Auburn High School and Auburn University.

Pruett has been named Alabama Sports Writer of the Year 17 times. He is a member of the Alabama Sports Writers Hall of Fame.

Jerry Brown, the former chairman of the Auburn Journalism Department, was honored as the 2007 Distinguished Auburn Journalism Alumnus; Alvin Benn, a reporter and columnist for The Montgomery Advertiser for more than 25 years, was named 2007 Distinguished Alabama community Journalist; Ed Mullins, who retired as dean of the University of Alabama's College of Communications & Information Sciences, won the 2007 award for Distinguished Special Achievement in Journalism; and Bob Ingram, a long-time political columnist and commentator, won the 2007 award for Distinguished Mass Media Achievement.

Phillip Marshall

HUH?

Considering Pruett is an Auburn graduate he does a fair job of reporting both sides

Huntsville Times

AUBURN - Huntsville Times sports editor John Pruett was honored Friday with the "2007 Distinguished Alabama Community Sports Journalist Award" by the Auburn University Journalism Advisory Council.

Pruett, Times sports editor for more than 33 years and a member of the sports staff for more than 40 years, was one of five journalists who received plaques at the council's third annual awards luncheon.

"I'm proud to be on the undercard with such heavyweights in our profession," Pruett said in accepting the award.

Pruett graduated from Auburn University and Auburn High School. Returning to his alma mater and his hometown, he said, made the award the most special of his career.

"I've been fortunate to win some awards," Pruett said. "I can tell you truthfully that none of them meant as much as this one. It means the most because it comes from where I went to school and from my hometown. Even though I haven't lived here in the past 40 years, I've always considered Auburn my hometown."

Pruett was introduced by Lamar Logue, a retired high school teacher who was his classmate at Auburn High School and Auburn University.

Pruett has been named Alabama Sports Writer of the Year 17 times. He is a member of the Alabama Sports Writers Hall of Fame.

Jerry Brown, the former chairman of the Auburn Journalism Department, was honored as the 2007 Distinguished Auburn Journalism Alumnus; Alvin Benn, a reporter and columnist for The Montgomery Advertiser for more than 25 years, was named 2007 Distinguished Alabama community Journalist; Ed Mullins, who retired as dean of the University of Alabama's College of Communications & Information Sciences, won the 2007 award for Distinguished Special Achievement in Journalism; and Bob Ingram, a long-time political columnist and commentator, won the 2007 award for Distinguished Mass Media Achievement.

Phillip Marshall

You do know Marshall is a big time AU homer too, don't you?

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

HUH?

Huntsville Times

Phillip Marshall

You do know Marshall is a big time AU homer too, don't you?

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

absolutely, we need some balance or the bammers would never know reality.

Archived