Bama breaks Spring Game record

BAMMERPERRY

And so your point is... He was 2 -3 against Tubberville. Do you believe there is more talent at Bama now then there was at LSU when he started there? I think not, Miles proves anyone can recruit at LSU. There is absolutely no one to compete with in state. Our state is a entirely different.

Yeah, there is more talent at UA now than was in LSU in 2000. The Bama team (Coached by Dubose) ALMOST beat them in Red Stick that year.

Either way, puffing your chest about a win over Saban while he was 3 whole games into his tenure at LSU is a bit of a joke.

kinda like uat fans puffing their chest about how great he is without coaching a game at the crapper yet, right?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And so your point is... He was 2 -3 against Tubberville. Do you believe there is more talent at Bama now then there was at LSU when he started there? I think not, Miles proves anyone can recruit at LSU. There is absolutely no one to compete with in state. Our state is a entirely different.

Yeah, there is more talent at UA now than was in LSU in 2000. The Bama team (Coached by Dubose) ALMOST beat them in Red Stick that year.

Either way, puffing your chest about a win over Saban while he was 3 whole games into his tenure at LSU is a bit of a joke.

Alabama also ALMOST beat Mississippi State last year as well.

And puffing your chest about winning over an Auburn team in 1999, with Tuberville only 10 games into his tenure, coaching a team that had to be almost completely rebuilt is also a bit of a joke? Oh and having to win it in the 4th quarter as well? And this was the last best Alabama team in 10 or 15 years?

I don't belive anyone is saying that Bammer will be as bad as it was under Shula for very long. If anyone does, they're morons. It'll take at least two years to repair the damage and after that, they'll be perrenial contenders. But even then, there's no way Bammer will be any more successful than any of the other 5 or 6 top teams in the SEC.

If $aban coaches for 10 years at Bammer, he'll probably win 2 SEC championships, make 3 or so appearances in the SECCG, and maybe, MAYBE win 1 NC. If he does all that, and it seems likely that if he stays there long enough he will, he will have done it with as much talent and luck as any other SEC school out there. Teams like Auburn, LSwho, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, are always gonna be the top contenders in SEC competition more or less every year. If and when Bammer does make it back into the top 6, in a few years, they will have no advantage over any other SEC school they play. $aban is essentially no better a coach than Tuberville, Richt, Meyer, or Spurrier.

$aban probably won't be as successful at Bammer as he was at LSwho because of the talent pool he can recruit from. All of Louisiana is under LSwho's thumb. Alabama on the other hand, is split up, pretty much right down the middle. True, Alabama recruits out of state too, but most of their talent comes from in state. So, he'll have to compete with Tuberville for top in state prospects, and with Auburn on top, and being a very good program for the forseeable future, there's no way $aban will "dominate" recruiting in the way many imagine.

Ryan

And puffing your chest about winning over an Auburn team in 1999, with Tuberville only 10 games into his tenure, coaching a team that had to be almost completely rebuilt is also a bit of a joke? Oh and having to win it in the 4th quarter as well? And this was the last best Alabama team in 10 or 15 years?

Don't remember puffing my chest about that one. I will say 10 games in is a little better than 3. And I will say that Mike Dubose was coaching that team. And no, that team wasnt that great. 2002 was better, as was 96.

And btw, we didn't almost beat MSU, they beat our ass.

Bg, we really like you so dont take this personally, but I will now apply the :au: spin on Saban's tenure at :lsu: Please pardon moi to all our :lsu: guests.

2001: We played fairly well for first part of the year, but after beating #1 :uf: it was obvious that Mazzone, our OC was gone. We got blown out by :ua: 31-7 at home. We THEN had to go play

:lsu: @ BR. We were done long before we got there. Mazzone was fired well before we even saw Saban. So he got one of his 2 wins against a lameduck OC.

2003: NALLSMINGER. We actually played :lsu: at the regular time, but NallSminger was already fired after scoring a whopping 3 points against USC and GT. So Saban got the second of his 2 wins against another lameduck :au: OC.

It could be said that he really doesnt beat us. We usually beat ourselves when we lost to Saban.

I am always told to quit living in the past, yet you guys are still holding up 5. It's fine with me, hold it up high, but don't say we change the rules. Pot meet Kettle.

I'd note that you're being an idiot here, but I don't want to offend any of the idiots.

Guess what, gump? Until it becomes SIX later this season, five is the present -- your miserable present -- not the past. Got it?

The thing I don't get is, how is it that the addition of Saban is supposed to just swing things back to dominance by Alabama? I mean, I get that he's an upgrade over Shula, but he had all the players in the world at LSU and went 2-3 against us. What has he shown that makes bammers think he'll do so much better at the crapstone?

Yeah, you also think the Alabama teams you beat over the last five years are typical and they won't improve much over that.

Follow the progression of thought. I first mentioned the notion that Saban will bring back the days of Bama "dominance." Then I moved on to the fact that he's better than Shula but still only went 2-3 against us with all-world recruits at LSU. The statement about him doing so much better wasn't about bammer's last 5 years. It was about his personal record against us at a comparable program. What makes Bama fans think Saban will do much better against us at Bama than he did against us when he was at LSU?

You guys always want to use that head to head number for Saban while he was at LSU.

Duh. Because it's a 5-year, head to head span. What would you suggest as a comparison, his record with the Dolphins?

In 2000, CTT had already had a year to start rebuilding. Saban was in his first season (3rd game) at LSU...an LSU team coming off of a run where they had 7 wins in 2 years.

Not a significant difference in circumstances. Even in 2000, Auburn had only won 8 games the previous two seasons. Having a one-season head start isn't that big a difference.

In 01 he beat you. In 02 his team was pretty bad.

Reverse that logic and see if it still suits you. Our 01 team was pretty bad, giving Bama it's only Iron Bowl victory in the last 7 tries by a score of 31-7. In 02 we beat them.

Alabama beat him 30-0 in red stick. He was really low on talent that year, at least at the key positions. So you got a win there. In 03 you lost 31-7. In 04 you beat him 10-9.

I'm failing to see how this changes anything I said. He had 5 years at LSU. He beat us twice in Red Stick and lost three times in Auburn.

The point still stands...what about Saban's record against Auburn makes Bama fans think he'll do any better than he did against us at LSU?

In 2000, CTT had already had a year to start rebuilding. Saban was in his first season (3rd game) at LSU...an LSU team coming off of a run where they had 7 wins in 2 years.

Not a significant difference in circumstances. Even in 2000, Auburn had only won 8 games the previous two seasons. Having a one-season head start isn't that big a difference.

If one year made that big a difference, just imagine what a 7 year head start will do to the matchup this time.

If one year made that big a difference, just imagine what a 7 year head start will do to the matchup this time.

Touche' Chad :thumbsup:

The point still stands...what about Saban's record against Auburn makes Bama fans think he'll do any better than he did against us at LSU?

Titan, I don't know that he will. Some of us like to proclaim it, but we don't know it to be fact.

Auburn and LSU, for the most part, have been the class of the SEC West over the past few years. Saban and Tuberville elevated their programs higher than us and Arkansas. When AU played LSU in Saban's tenure, it was usually a battle of heavyweights and as you know, there's always going to be a winner and a loser. Saban played at your place three times and you played at his twice. In 2005, LSU and would be Saban beat Auburn. Now, I'm not trying to give him credit for LSU's '05 victory over AU, but rather pointing out that he would have likely evened the series.

If USC and Texas played 5 times, someone's going to get more wins than the other team. Sadly, Auburn and LSU have recently been the USC and Texas of this division. Like I said, there's got to be a winner and a loser. Going 2-3 against AU from 2000-2004 is really nothing to scoff at. Losing to LSU, as CTT did, 2 out of 5 times isn't bad either. It's not like Saban was playing Vandy...

Titan, I don't know that he will. Some of us like to proclaim it, but we don't know it to be fact.

Auburn and LSU, for the most part, have been the class of the SEC West over the past few years. Saban and Tuberville elevated their programs higher than us and Arkansas. When AU played LSU in Saban's tenure, it was usually a battle of heavyweights and as you know, there's always going to be a winner and a loser. Saban played at your place three times and you played at his twice. In 2005, LSU and would be Saban beat Auburn. Now, I'm not trying to give him credit for LSU's '05 victory over AU, but rather pointing out that he would have likely evened the series.

If USC and Texas played 5 times, someone's going to get more wins than the other team. Sadly, Auburn and LSU have recently been the USC and Texas of this division. Like I said, there's got to be a winner and a loser. Going 2-3 against AU from 2000-2004 is really nothing to scoff at. Losing to LSU, as CTT did, 2 out of 5 times isn't bad either. It's not like Saban was playing Vandy...

I think you're missing the most important component of the argument: player talent.

Saban + LSU talent = 2-3 against CTT/Auburn talent.

Saban + Bama talent= ??? against CTT/Auburn talent.

What we're saying is that, if the roles were reversed, and Saban was leaving Bama to go to LSU, then we'd have cause for concern given the jump in talent from T-town to BRouge. Since it's working the other way, we're not shaking in our boots.

Yeah, my point was not that he had a losing record but that he basically split. But somehow I don't get the feeling that Bama fans truly expect him to merely beat Auburn every other year. I hear "nashunul champeeunship" and "back where we belong" and "putting Awburn back in their place" and crap like that left and right. It's even worse since I've moved back to Alabama.

I'm just trying to imagine what Bama fan's reaction will be five years from now if Saban is 2-3 versus Auburn in the same way he was a LSU (in other words, the two victories aren't two in a row on the tailend of that span). I think the bloom will be off the rose if that happens rather than 92k showing up for spring games.

Archived