Bama breaks Spring Game record

BAMMERPERRY

UPDATE: A-Day a sellout

By David Wasson

Executive Sports Editor

Print this story Email this story

TUSCALOOSA | Congratulations, Alabama football fans. You filled Bryant-Denny Stadium for a practice.

Of course, Saturday's annual A-Day game wasn't any usual practice, as the public coaching debut of Nick Saban -- combined with postcard-style weather -- caused an above-capacity crowd to pack into Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The official attendance, announced at the start of the fourth quarter was "in excess of 92,138", and that more would have packed the stadium had not fire marshals not closed the gates in the second quarter.

UA officials opened up the East Upper Deck just before halftime. Before that, the new North Upper Deck was made available to fans. Both those decks quickly filled with fans, with hundreds more moving around the stadium looking for room to sit.

The original plan was for the lower bowl and West Upper Deck to be open -- allowing approximately 71,000 fans a chance to watch the Crimson play the White. UA officials and local law enforcement were ready to open the rest of the stadium as needed.

Before Saturday, the unoffficial national record attendance for a spring college football game came in 1986, when 73,000 watched Tennessee scrimmage at Neyland Stadium. This year, the SEC's top spring game crowd before Saturday was the 47,500 that watched defending national champion Florida scrimmage.

Reach David Wasson at david.wasson@tuscaloosanews.com or at 205-722-0229

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let the Bammers go see a bunch of hype. I'm sure it was a wasted trip - to see nothing but runs up the middle and few passes, etc. Auburn will still be the best next November and that is all that matters. Spring games are pointless. Bammers just wanted to see Bama win a game - it's been a long time.

Saban: 1-1

hey, does this count as a victory for uat. I mean its been so long for them... take a victory any way you can get it I guess, even if you are playing your own team.. :lol:

That is pretty impressive to have the house packed for spring ball. Then again, what else have bama fans had to look forward to the past couple of years?

Our A-Day attendance of 92,000+ is more than Auburn, Arkansas, or Florida will have for a real gameday. The largest crowd to see a spring game in college football history!! :nanner:

Our A-Day attendance of 92,000+ is more than Auburn, Arkansas, or Florida will have for a real gameday. The largest crowd to see a spring game in college football history!! :nanner:

:no: Now that is something to brag about.

I am amazed that you don't see the humor in this. :roflol:

I am amazed that you don't see the humor in this. :roflol:

humor?? Their celebrating another FAKE NC with this.

At least we know that 92,000 Alabama fans know where Tuscaloosa is.

well, not really. all 92,000 didn't drive to the game. If you figure the average vehicle had 4 people that takes the number down to 23,000. Now figure that of the 23,000 that half of those (maybe more) were probably students already on campus (likely taken by a family friend that could read a map) and that brings you down to 11,500. Now figure more than half of that 11,500 actually live in that cesspool but don't go to uat, and that takes you down to (11,500 X 75% = 8625, so 11500-8625=2875) 2875 . Of that 2875 how many road from birmingham on busses chartered by the uat bobo honking bamaham media? That's good for another 1,000, so that takes us down to 1875. Now the bulk of this 1875 likely live within a 3 hour drive of turd town, so they are bound to know how to get to tuscaloser, of course this would likely be after several wrong turns and stopping 5-6 times to get different directions. So what we have here is a stadium with 92,000 where barely 1,000 of them actually know how to get where they are... Yeah, that sounds about right..

Guest BoStillKnows

I was watching the motorcycle races at Barber's with three UAT fans. One is a long-time, serious fan. He was talking about the attendance and said "that's how desperate some people are for a win".

That pretty much sums it up.

Oh, BTW UAT lost another game to AU today.

It will probably be bigger than towards the end of season, when Alabama has lost four or five.

It was more than the amount of fans still in the stadium with 5 minutes left of the Iron Bowl. Did everyone see the Bama fans leaving?

22-15! Fans don't equal victories

It was more than the amount of fans still in the stadium with 5 minutes left of the Iron Bowl. Did everyone see the Bama fans leaving?

22-15! Fans don't equal victories

You're praising Auburn for a change? Good for you.

Hell isnt this the first game thay have won since FIU last year.... ;)

But since Bama won and lost today, they only tore down one goal post. :big:

I just wish the :au: vs. :ua: baseball games had been in Tuscaloosa so the 92,000 could see :au: beat the tide again! :big:

Saban has really gave them some hope. Shula had made Bama a middle of the road team with no hope. This sounds like something out of a rocky movie, but I think just by him being there he is going to get some potential out of his players that hasn't been seen in a long time. They probably won't beat us this year but I expect a close game with some emotion.

Pretty impressive

NO!

It is actually embarrasing. My Mother and Father are Bama fans. My Mother called me to tell me about the attendance numbers and I said to her how ridiculous that was and you would think that the Bahr had risen from the dead and everyone was trying to get a glimpse. She responded , "It's a new era in Tuscaloosa." Now I love my Mother with all my heart and left the conversation of the topic at that. But how delusional are these Bammers? You just witnessed today how delusional they really are.

WDE :au:

Archived