Bama breaks Spring Game record

BAMMERPERRY

Nobody actually sells out all home games.

UGA was I think around 100% seating capacity per somebody (think was on here or somewhere) but that was bogus.

When UGA plays cupcakes, they dont come near 92k

When UF plays cupcakes not on opening day, they dont sell out actually

Same for UT and LSU.....

I would argue that point for Bama this past season. I was at the Vandy, Duke, and UK games (among others) and remember thinking that I couldnt really see many empty seats...maybe 100. Even the La Monroe game had over 90,000.

I remember a couple of years ago, upper deck seats for Bama/Utah St were going for 100+ each.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I know, I have read that 100% garbage before...it just isn't true. I think those #'s are utter bullcrap to be honest.

I mean, UGA is at 100%....we aren't at 90% for 2-3 home games every years

How is he being naive? Contrary to your misguided opinion, there are very few in our fanbase you are booking it for the Sugar Bowl this year. Like Slink said, there's nothing wrong with turning out to support the team and staff.

obviously you are either in total denial or you just don't get out much. did uat kick you out of the club or have you been under a rock since satan was hired? Now I don't visit bammer boards for very obvious reasons. But I do visit several SEC related boards and I can assure you most are talking major bowl this year and running off at the mouth about how everybody is scared of saban. For you to say very few in your fanbase are expecting a sugar bowl bid shows how out of touch you really are with your own fanbase. I'll bet more than half of that toothless 92,000 yesterday expect nothing less than a BCS bowl next year. That's why its gonna be so much fun when uat limps to 6 or 7 wins...again.

I'm not in denial and trust me, I get out WAY more than you can ever dream of. I'll stop there...

Major bowl? What is a major bowl to you? Do I think we can go to the Cotton or Peach this year? Of course I do. Do I think we can go to the Independence? Yes, but I don't think we will. I'll be very satisfied with a Peach Bowl appearance in his first season, ala LSU 2000.

How many Bama fans expect to go to the Sugar Bowl? Ask BamaGrad if he does. Boyjedah, ECE, and even BamaPerry will probably say "not this year." I know my fanbase and university quite well. I know more about our program, history, future, etc than you'll ever dream of. You're in no position to lecture.

How is he being naive? Contrary to your misguided opinion, there are very few in our fanbase you are booking it for the Sugar Bowl this year. Like Slink said, there's nothing wrong with turning out to support the team and staff.

obviously you are either in total denial or you just don't get out much. did uat kick you out of the club or have you been under a rock since satan was hired? Now I don't visit bammer boards for very obvious reasons. But I do visit several SEC related boards and I can assure you most are talking major bowl this year and running off at the mouth about how everybody is scared of saban. For you to say very few in your fanbase are expecting a sugar bowl bid shows how out of touch you really are with your own fanbase. I'll bet more than half of that toothless 92,000 yesterday expect nothing less than a BCS bowl next year. That's why its gonna be so much fun when uat limps to 6 or 7 wins...again.

I'm not in denial and trust me, I get out WAY more than you can ever dream of. I'll stop there...

Oh, please continue. I'm dying to know how you know so much about me.... This should be good...

Major bowl? What is a major bowl to you? Do I think we can go to the Cotton or Peach this year? Of course I do. Do I think we can go to the Independence? Yes, but I don't think we will. I'll be very satisfied with a Peach Bowl appearance in his first season, ala LSU 2000.

Yeah, sure you will. Why is it that with that pathetic coach called shula every uat fan was saying 2007 will be our year to win the SEC at minimum, yet now that 2007 is here, you are telling me that those expectations are false?? :roflol::roflol: Please, even you know better than that. You uaters have been doing nothing but honking saban bobo since the day he was hired, and every uat fan i spoke to ELEVATED those 2007 expectations the day saban was hired not lessen them. You can type what you want here while hiding behind your little keyboard, but we all know what the reality is.

How many Bama fans expect to go to the Sugar Bowl? Ask BamaGrad if he does. Boyjedah, ECE, and even BamaPerry will probably say "not this year." I know my fanbase and university quite well. I know more about our program, history, future, etc than you'll ever dream of. You're in no position to lecture.

To give you a number (based on my encounters with uat fans only) I would venture to say MORE THAN HALF expect nothing less than a BCS bowl...Just because the 4-5 uaters that post here can hide behind their keyboard and say different, doesn't change the 10's of thousands of others out there. I'm glad you know your program, and history (paying players since 1920, undermining other programs all over the south, turning in programs to the NCAA, setting up other programs) better than me. It must make you proud to know more about your own team than a fan of a rival school... :drippingsarcasm7pa: However, you certainly don't know the future any better than anybody else, so that statement is nothing but stupid on your part. But, just for fun, I predicted a 6-6 record for uat last season, what did you predict?? 8 wins?, 9 wins?, 10 wins? Yes it was posted here so dig it up if you don't believe me. :moon:

Switch shoes and my God we'd never hear the end of all the AU fans bragging about filling JHS for their spring game.

My point was simply this. 92,000 people at a practice game were not there for team support. If so, bama would have 92,000 every year. The majority of these fans were there based on hype for one coach. One highly overpaid, overhyped guy that hasn't even won one game for uat yet. 92,000 thinking their savior has arrived. To me, that is not impressive. That's funny. The only thing funnier would be naming your kid after him...but surely that would never happen! :big:

WarTiger, you just throw out broad scoaped generalizations on every issue, don't you? EVERY Tide fan has a mullet, EVERY Tide fan doesn't have teeth, EVERY Tide fan believes we are going to win the national title this year. Yet, when I pressure you on it, you change your tune from "every" to "most." This is evident in most posts, too.

I'm a realist. Most would call me a pessimist, but I don't see it that way. For example, I don't think that Mark Gottfried is a good basketball coach or Jim Wells is a good baseball coach. I don't think that Prince Hall is the next Derrick Thomas. I think that Jimmy Johns has the potential to be... a bust and that JP Wilson's name shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with the Bama greats that have come before him. I would be shocked if we played in the Sugar Bowl but dissapointed if we were back in Shreveport.

Need more? I think that the AU football team is ahead of us right now. I think that Auburn has obviously moved past us over the past few years and we have a lot of work to do. Am I going to say that we can't catch up/pass you? Of course not, I firmly believe we will. Will it be in the form of a 13-0 BCS season in 2007? Don't kid yourself. We're decent, but that's about it.

When I say something, I mean it. I don't sugarcoat anything to be in the majority if I don't belive it's true.

"I'm a realist. Most would call me a pessimist..."

Win, this is why WarTiger says that "most" Alabama fans are unrealistic. Congratulations. You've actually just made his point.

I also believe that some of last year's attendance figures and (to some extent) the 92K at practice yesterday is due to the recent work done on Bryant-Denny. The year following extensive work on stadiums is always very strong, even if the teams stink. In fact, I bet attendance was better last year (percentage-wise) than it was when they went 10-2. There are many, many Bama fans out there. Many of them take Duke and UL-M (and practice) as opportunities to see the new stadium.

Oh, and by the way, we don't need the "I think the AU football team is ahead of us right now" patronage, Captain Obvious.

Win, this is why WarTiger says that "most" Alabama fans are unrealistic. Congratulations. You've actually just made his point.

I also believe that some of last year's attendance figures and (to some extent) the 92K at practice yesterday is due to the recent work done on Bryant-Denny. The year following extensive work on stadiums is always very strong, even if the teams stink. In fact, I bet attendance was better last year (percentage-wise) than it was when they went 10-2. There are many, many Bama fans out there. Many of them take Duke and UL-M (and practice) as opportunities to see the new stadium.

No, I most certainly didn't. That "rah rah team" mentality exists in every fanbase.

There are many on here, WarTiger included, who love Coach Slater. Is he a great coach? Judging by the results, no.

No, I most certainly didn't. That "rah rah team" mentality exists in every fanbase.

There are many on here, WarTiger included, who love Coach Slater. Is he a great coach? Judging by the results, no.

what does slater have to do with anything? are we hearkening him as the second coming? we have proof that he isn't a great coach, but certain people may like him despite the record. bammers have NO PROOF of nick saban's abilities except for what he did at other schools several years in the past. there is where the connection to reality is severed. you may be smart enough to wait and see how he does before you totally engulf his bobo, but you and i both know for a fact that an enormous number of the tide's representatives already have it buried to the hilt.

your pride may be hurt by all the trash talk over here, but by god, we don't just make it up.

WarTiger, you just throw out broad scoaped generalizations on every issue, don't you? EVERY Tide fan has a mullet, EVERY Tide fan doesn't have teeth, EVERY Tide fan believes we are going to win the national title this year. Yet, when I pressure you on it, you change your tune from "every" to "most." This is evident in most posts, too.

Ok...here's the challenge for you...show me one of my posts where i've said Every turd fan has a mullet, every tide fan doesn't have teeth, every tide fan believes we are going to win the NC this year. Show me....I'll wait....

I'm a realist. Most would call me a pessimist, but I don't see it that way. For example, I don't think that Mark Gottfried is a good basketball coach or Jim Wells is a good baseball coach. I don't think that Prince Hall is the next Derrick Thomas. I think that Jimmy Johns has the potential to be... a bust and that JP Wilson's name shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with the Bama greats that have come before him. I would be shocked if we played in the Sugar Bowl but dissapointed if we were back in Shreveport.

This I agree with...but only because there really haven't been any "bama greats" before him to put him with.

Need more? I think that the AU football team is ahead of us right now. I think that Auburn has obviously moved past us over the past few years and we have a lot of work to do. Am I going to say that we can't catch up/pass you? Of course not, I firmly believe we will. Will it be in the form of a 13-0 BCS season in 2007? Don't kid yourself. We're decent, but that's about it.

Believe me, I'm not kidding myself. I hope uat loses EVERY game they play in 2007. I actually think they'll win 6 games....no more. Sure you say it here. Believe me we already know we're the superior program. Whether you admit it here or not, you are no different than (just for you) ALL OTHER UAT FANS who will say the only reason is because uat has been on probation for 5 years. ALL UAT fans are is a walking excuse for everything.

When I say something, I mean it. I don't sugarcoat anything to be in the majority if I don't believe it's true.

You've been around long enough to know i don't sugarcoat anything either..what's your point?

what does slater have to do with anything? are we hearkening him as the second coming? we have proof that he isn't a great coach, but certain people may like him despite the record. bammers have NO PROOF of nick saban's abilities except for what he did at other schools several years in the past. there is where the connection to reality is severed. you may be smart enough to wait and see how he does before you totally engulf his bobo, but you and i both know for a fact that an enormous number of the tide's representatives already have it buried to the hilt.

your pride may be hurt by all the trash talk over here, but by god, we don't just make it up.

"Let's rally behind Coach Slater!" and "Just give him time!" are common themes in the baseball forum. Granted, he smoked us 2/3 this weekend but the fact remains the same: His time on the Plains has been less than sparkling.

We have no proof of Nick Saban's abilities? You do know the definition of "abilities", right? We may not have read the last chapter of the Saban novel, but we definitely know his abilities. A national championship and 2 SEC titles at a previously dead program is a credit to his abilities, as well as the resurrection of the Spartans.

Will Saban ever win a national title at UA? I have no idea. The homer in me tells me yes, but the rational fan in me tells to wait and see. I have little doubt that he'll be successful here, but winning a NC trophy is a totally different animal. Yet, did the world see Meyer winning it all a year after his system had allegedly been "figured out" in the SEC and doomed to failure? You never can tell. All in all, I haven't ordered my tickets to the BCS title game or SEC Championship, yet. I realize that this deal won't be overnight.

Think about it this way - Darren McFadden transfers to Auburn. You're not excited? Why? Because he hasn't done it at Auburn? You telling me there's no proof he'll be a great runningback at AU simply because he has had success there, yet? I'll agree that he might not take the first carry for a touchdown, but look out for him when he gets his hands on it the second, third, and fourth times. Bottom line: He's going to be successful, it's only a matter of time.

"Let's rally behind Coach Slater!" and "Just give him time!" are common themes in the baseball forum. Granted, he smoked us 2/3 this weekend but the fact remains the same: His time on the Plains has been less than sparkling.

We have no proof of Nick Saban's abilities? You do know the definition of "abilities", right? We may not have read the last chapter of the Saban novel, but we definitely know his abilities. A national championship and 2 SEC titles at a previously dead program is a credit to his abilities, as well as the resurrection of the Spartans.

Will Saban ever win a national title at UA? I have no idea. The homer in me tells me yes, but the rational fan in me tells to wait and see. I have little doubt that he'll be successful here, but winning a NC trophy is a totally different animal. Yet, did the world see Meyer winning it all a year after his system had allegedly been "figured out" in the SEC and doomed to failure? You never can tell. All in all, I haven't ordered my tickets to the BCS title game or SEC Championship, yet. I realize that this deal won't be overnight.

Think about it this way - Darren McFadden transfers to Auburn. You're not excited? Why? Because he hasn't done it at Auburn? You telling me there's no proof he'll be a great runningback at AU simply because he has had success there, yet? I'll agree that he might not take the first carry for a touchdown, but look out for him when he gets his hands on it the second, third, and fourth times. Bottom line: He's going to be successful, it's only a matter of time.

oh, semantics. how fun you really can be. by "abilities", i meant his "ability" to coach the turd talent into winning form. that is yet to be seen, and absolutely NOT a given. your mcfadden analogy breaks down here for one simple reason, and that's the comparison between athlete and coach. darren mcfadden is a proven athlete, and his "abilities" would be easier to just flat-out expect to contribute to our advantage. he has the speed, power and vision to get the ball to the end zone, and that's just God-given talent. not coaching. on the other hand, saban is a football coach. not a direct contributor to the action on the field. he is crippled or strengthened by the hand he is dealt in the talent department. based on his past record, it is realistic to expect him to perform his job to the same capability, but his talent pool is very different. the face of the sec and football as a whole is very different. recruiting is far from what it is in louisiana, where no in-state rival equals state control, not to mention no in-state rival making you look like a punk ass for half a decade running. he may be an absolute flop or wholly mediocre by no fault of his own. mcfadden is going to run it down your throat no matter who he plays for.

To be honest....I am a bit jealous.

O.K. I'm over it now.

2006.....now on the OTHER hand....

Well, totally irrelevant and not sure of your point, but since you called me out individually, Show me ONCE, just ONCE where I say what my feelings are for Coach Slater. I'll save you the trouble...You won't find them anywhere on this board, so where you are coming up with my thoughts concerning our baseball program is beyond me... Chin up uater, you still have gymnastics....

97% for J-H may seem poor compared to other schools. But other schools also report over 100% capacity. Over 100% - we learned in the 2nd grade there is no such thing. Are the other schools selling tickets for seats that don't exist (the walk ramps?). How are they doing it? I'm not saying they don't exceed their capacity, but to report it as over capacity is BS. Either you're lying or you are breaking fire code, or you just need to change your God darn capacity. Because Auburn clearly has greater than capacity (87,451) on big games. UF, LSU, UGA, UT, GT, WSU, and Alabama home games have all had more than 87,451. Auburn just doesn't report it. If we did, we would have the smaller games be balanced out and would therefore report about 100% at the end of the season.

Auburn just doesn't report it.

Haha, not true. I've seen games where AU reported over 100% capacity. Man I wish some of you guys would get over the idea that Auburn is some shining beacon of exception where they do things completely different from EVERY other school.

Auburn just doesn't report it.

Haha, not true. I've seen games where AU reported over 100% capacity. Man I wish some of you guys would get over the idea that Auburn is some shining beacon of exception where they do things completely different from EVERY other school.

I'd be interested to see even one where we reported over that as official capacity. For instance, on this page:

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/facilities/au...ordan-hare.html

If you scroll down to "Jordan Hare's Top Crowds", you will see the 87,451 figure used as the official attendance for our top three attended games in stadium history. Before that you see several games tied at the old top capacity of 86,063.

That's not to say that some newspaper writer didn't comment that at some of those games there were people there in excess of capacity and put some figure on it, but Auburn doesn't report anything over capacity even when I've been there and know darn well it has been. For instance, I attended the 2004 Georgia game and can tell you from the people lining the upper deck ramps alone that more than official capacity made it inside.

UPDATE: A-Day a sellout

By David Wasson

Executive Sports Editor

Print this story Email this story

TUSCALOOSA | Congratulations, Alabama football fans. You filled Bryant-Denny Stadium for a practice.

Of course, Saturday's annual A-Day game wasn't any usual practice, as the public coaching debut of Nick Saban -- combined with postcard-style weather -- caused an above-capacity crowd to pack into Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The official attendance, announced at the start of the fourth quarter was "in excess of 92,138", and that more would have packed the stadium had not fire marshals not closed the gates in the second quarter.

UA officials opened up the East Upper Deck just before halftime. Before that, the new North Upper Deck was made available to fans. Both those decks quickly filled with fans, with hundreds more moving around the stadium looking for room to sit.

The original plan was for the lower bowl and West Upper Deck to be open -- allowing approximately 71,000 fans a chance to watch the Crimson play the White. UA officials and local law enforcement were ready to open the rest of the stadium as needed.

Before Saturday, the unoffficial national record attendance for a spring college football game came in 1986, when 73,000 watched Tennessee scrimmage at Neyland Stadium. This year, the SEC's top spring game crowd before Saturday was the 47,500 that watched defending national champion Florida scrimmage.

Reach David Wasson at david.wasson@tuscaloosanews.com or at 205-722-0229

Interesting you had a sellout stadium who came to see a sell out coach. Ironic, even.

Well, totally irrelevant and not sure of your point, but since you called me out individually, Show me ONCE, just ONCE where I say what my feelings are for Coach Slater. I'll save you the trouble...You won't find them anywhere on this board, so where you are coming up with my thoughts concerning our baseball program is beyond me... Chin up uater, you still have gymnastics....

Ask and you shall receive.

Top 6, 9-2 Florida

Auburn's only walked 3, hit 2 batters, and had 2 errors, so expect Slater to be signed to an extension by dusk.

Ah, there's more words of wisdom idiocy from the anti-auburn campaign.

Wryn posted negative thoughts on Slater's team and you responded that his comments were "idiocy."

It's not irrelevant at all. Everyone agrees that most fans try their hardest to be optimistic. We're a fanbase that has had little to be excited about since 2002. We've had plenty of drama, mostly negative, with the few bright spots serving as teasers to the hungry animal known as the Alabama fanbase.

We all know that Nick Saban is a great coach and that a hire such as the one we made would light the fire under anyone. We're starved for a winner and naturally, people have high expectations. Are some people stretching it? Of course. But there's nothing wrong with people being eager to support their school's players and coaches. At least, there wasn't anything wrong with it before Saturday, right?

Okay WIN. Just cause' you were rational and made perfect sense with that last post......doesn't mean we have to like it or agree with it.

So there.

I remember a couple of years ago, upper deck seats for Bama/Utah St were going for 100+ each.

That was the only guaranteed win back then, they wanted to see it pretty bad.

Archived