Alabama/Duke to be played in Georgia Dome

WinCrimson

Go ahead and insert your "Bama has to schedule Duke to play in the Georgia Dome" joke here...

Blue Devils' 2010 home game against Alabama to the Georgia Dome.

Sports Council president Gary Stokan met with Duke athletics director Joe Alleva at this week's ACC spring meetings to discuss the idea. The meeting was part of Stokan's attempt to bring college football to the Dome in September of 2008, 2009 and 2010.

Duke played Alabama last season in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Blue Devils coach Ted Roof said Tuesday that he'd be in favor of moving the game from Wallace Wade Stadium, which seats 33,941, to Atlanta, even though the crowd at the Georgia Dome would be decidedly in favor of Alabama.

Link

They tried approaching UGA about moving the 2008 UGA/Tech game from Sanford to the Atlanta Dome and we laughed at them

Alabama - Duke? Are they kidding? Aren't these "neutral cities" games usually big?

Like...Florida-Georgia, Alabama-Florida St., Texas-Oklahoma.

but Alabama-Duke?

WTH?

All about the cash. It'll be Duke's home game and they know with the way Bama travels, they'll get far more than 33K to the game. Bigger gate for Duke. Even though last year was pretty tight, they really don't expect a win. (Duke I mean B) )

Besides, I've been to Wallace-Wade. No bigger dump in all of college football. Trust me Bama fan, you don't want to drive all that way to sit in that joke of a facility.

I kinda do and kinda don't.

I went to Coach K's basketball camp numerous times as a youngin', and I always pull for the Blue Devils. Beautiful campus and nice area of the country, too.

Also, the Alabama-Wallace Wade-Duke connection is pretty cool. Did you know that Wallace Wade stadium in Durham is the only other site to host the Rose Bowl outside of Pasadena?

I think the University of Wyoming did something similar with Tennessee a few years ago, where UW was due a home game against UT, and UW elected to play it in Nashville. My buddy went to UW and said that the Cowboys kept most of the gate.

Duke should make some extra money if they play it in September. If they wait until November, when both teams are 3-6, probably not so much.

Go ahead and insert your "Bama has to schedule Duke to play in the Georgia Dome" joke here...

Blue Devils' 2010 home game against Alabama to the Georgia Dome.

Sports Council president Gary Stokan met with Duke athletics director Joe Alleva at this week's ACC spring meetings to discuss the idea. The meeting was part of Stokan's attempt to bring college football to the Dome in September of 2008, 2009 and 2010.

Duke played Alabama last season in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Blue Devils coach Ted Roof said Tuesday that he'd be in favor of moving the game from Wallace Wade Stadium, which seats 33,941, to Atlanta, even though the crowd at the Georgia Dome would be decidedly in favor of Alabama.

Link

It would be interesting to see who else they offered the game to first and turned them down. I doubt that SPUAT-Duke was their first choice.

If I am remembering correctly the original contract between GT and us was supposed to be a three game series. One at our place, one at Bobby-Dodd, and one at the Ga dome with the tickets being split.

I kinda do and kinda don't.

I went to Coach K's basketball camp numerous times as a youngin', and I always pull for the Blue Devils. Beautiful campus and nice area of the country, too.

Also, the Alabama-Wallace Wade-Duke connection is pretty cool. Did you know that Wallace Wade stadium in Durham is the only other site to host the Rose Bowl outside of Pasadena?

Yeah, I did hear that. Due to WWII.

Did you know Bryant-Deeny Stadium is one of five home stadiums of current SEC opponents in which Auburn has a winning record?

I've had enough of GT. :big:

I haven't. It kills me that we lost to them twice. I'm from atlanta and the GT fans and the UGA fans give me hell for that.

Archived