UAT qb jimmy barnes

kickinwang

nice haircut

Quarterback Jimmy Barnes leaving Crimson Tide

TUSCALOOSA | Sophomore quarterback Jimmy Barnes has decided to leave the University of Alabama football team to pursue his career at another school. Barnes will enroll at a Division I-AA school in the fall, but has yet to decide which one. He has three years of eligibility remaining. Barnes, who was second on the depth chart after Marc Guillon left school midway through last season, wasn’t able to participate in contact drills during spring practice. Instead, freshman Greg McElroy worked behind junior starter John Parker Wilson. There are no other scholarship quarterbacks on the roster, although incoming freshman Nick Fanuzzi (6-foot-3, 200 pounds) out of San Antonio, Texas, was a part of Nick Saban’s first recruiting class.

I wonder why he left.

I wonder why he left.

Just speculation, but behind Wilson and McElroy, I wonder if he saw the handwriting on the wall as far as him getting any playing time at aut and will go somewhere that he can.

I wonder why he left.

Just speculation, but behind Wilson and McElroy, I wonder if he saw the handwriting on the wall as far as him getting any playing time at aut and will go somewhere that he can.

Im sure thats what it was.

When he signed with Bammer he was a big time recruit from Cali, sometimes it just doesnt work out I wish him well

Remember how all we heard was how good he was, that he was better than Brodie, etc. etc.

Uh, you never heard that.

Everyone -- beware of jedi mind tricks: "These aren't the droids you're looking for."

Remember how all we heard was how good he was, that he was better than Brodie, etc. etc.

Oh no, now you've done it. You're going to start a link-digging treasure hunt again.

And we did hear how great he was. Repeatedly. Even when I pointed out that he looked like a drunken sasquatch in the games he was in, we heard.

Upon further review, Bamagrad03 on Jimmy Barnes after Southlink says he'll be a bust:

QUOTE(SouthLink02 @ Jan 20 2005, 05:17 PM)

He looked horrible....sorry Bama fans.....

How so? He had the best stats of all the QBs and had a second half TD dropped. The 60 yarder to the showboat was a great pass on a deep out.

Also, the Rivals guys saw him all week too...and bumped him up to the #13 QB in the country.

evidence

Upon further review, Bamagrad03 on Jimmy Barnes after Southlink says he'll be a bust:

How so? He had the best stats of all the QBs and had a second half TD dropped. The 60 yarder to the showboat was a great pass on a deep out.

Also, the Rivals guys saw him all week too...and bumped him up to the #13 QB in the country.

evidence

I didn't read anywhere in that defense where I said he was the second coming...or was even going to be great. Nor did I see any other Bama fans singing his praises of the future. SURELY didn't see anyone saying he was going to be better than Brodie.

He was in the Army All American game. The other QBs looked worse than he did. And he had a couple of nice passes.

Oh no, now you've done it. You're going to start a link-digging treasure hunt again.

And we did hear how great he was. Repeatedly. Even when I pointed out that he looked like a drunken sasquatch in the games he was in, we heard.

It's not possible for you to hear how great he was, repeatedly. He missed one season with a blown ACL. The other season he saw action in one game. He went 6/11 with a Touchdown. But it was against FIU. So I don't know how you could have surmised anything from one game. And I'm especially confused how you could report on the "games" he was in. Since I doubt you saw the FIU game...and that was the only one he ever played in.

evidence

I didn't read anywhere in that defense where I said he was the second coming...or was even going to be great. Nor did I see any other Bama fans singing his praises of the future. SURELY didn't see anyone saying he was going to be better than Brodie.

He was in the Army All American game. The other QBs looked worse than he did. And he had a couple of nice passes.

It's not possible for you to hear how great he was, repeatedly. He missed one season with a blown ACL. The other season he saw action in one game. He went 6/11 with a Touchdown. But it was against FIU. So I don't know how you could have surmised anything from one game. And I'm especially confused how you could report on the "games" he was in. Since I doubt you saw the FIU game...and that was the only one he ever played in.

defensive much? jeeze

I saw the video highlights. We've discussed that. I'm not an expert on UA football. I saw him in video highlights. I have no idea if it was one game, three games or ten.

I thought he looked like a drunken sasquatch in that game (or I might have used kinder terms initially) and some of yours rushed to his defense touting arm strength, field awareness "did you know his daddy was a coach" and other blah, blah, blah. I think I said then that if he was your best backup quarterback UA football was in a world of hurt. I got pilloried for that, too, because I allegedly couldn't be objective.

I didn't think much of him as a QB even after seeing him in the Army Bowl. Now he's gone. No loss to anyone, apparently.

And it seems that you and I may have been discussing McElroy instead of Barnes in terms of future potential. Because as I think about it you may have told me that you didn't see him ever playing a down at quarterback for UA. Others were pimping him, but maybe not BG.

evidence

Since when have Alabama fans had to base how great someone is on game experience (or games coached there, for that matter?

And it seems that you and I may have been discussing McElroy instead of Barnes in terms of future potential. Because as I think about it you may have told me that you didn't see him ever playing a down at quarterback for UA. Others were pimping him, but maybe not BG.

Yes, that's right. I like McElroy. After seeing Barnes show up on campus overweight after a summer of "working out", I didn't have high hopes for him. He had a nice touch on the ball, but zero, I mean ZERO mobility. He put up some great numbers in high school, but it seemed like he didn't have that drive to get in game shape while at UA.

McElroy has a good bit of potential. He lacks homerun arm strength, but is pretty mobile and seems to be fairly accurate.

But honestly, behind JPW, we don't have anyone ready to lead the team on saturdays.

Yes, that's right. I like McElroy. After seeing Barnes show up on campus overweight after a summer of "working out", I didn't have high hopes for him. He had a nice touch on the ball, but zero, I mean ZERO mobility. He put up some great numbers in high school, but it seemed like he didn't have that drive to get in game shape while at UA.

McElroy has a good bit of potential. He lacks homerun arm strength, but is pretty mobile and seems to be fairly accurate.

But honestly, behind JPW, we don't have anyone ready to lead the team on saturdays.

Barnes knew he would get no closer than third on the depth chart the minute McElroy stepped on campus. Good move by him.

Barnes knew he would get no closer than third on the depth chart the minute McElroy stepped on campus. Good move by him.

I agree 100%

Hard Rules of College Ball:

1) Every Coach at Alabama is the NEXT BEAR RBYANT.

2) Every qb recruited by Alabama is THE NEXT JOE NAMATH.

3) Every player that leaves the team, or doesnt sign with Bama, was never wanted and didnt fit the team or scheme.

Hard Rules of College Ball:

1) Every Coach at Alabama is the NEXT BEAR RBYANT.

2) Every qb recruited by Alabama is THE NEXT JOE NAMATH.

3) Every player that leaves the team, or doesnt sign with Bama, was never wanted and didnt fit the team or scheme.

I think you are projecting a bit.

Uh, yeah I did.

thats pretty much dead-on. especially if by some miracle we land Terrelle Pryor. he had like 10 offers from some 1-AA schools with promises of being able to compete for a starting job when he enrolls in the fall. his dad had nothing ill to say as far as i saw. they all just pretty much knew it wasn;t going to work out.

Archived