Studies Say Death Penalty Deters Crime

AUChizad

Link

A series of academic studies over the last half-dozen years that claim to settle a once hotly debated argument  whether the death penalty acts as a deterrent to murder. The analyses say yes.

I don't know if I care whether or not it is a deterrent.

I think it's a valid PUNISHMENT...in certain (very limited) cases.

BG, sit down. I agree with you.

While I will cease arguing that capital punishment is NOT a deterent as I've done in the past, I would like to see more in depth treatment of the studies before I buy into them completely. The article does indicate there are challenges to this conclusion and I'd like to see more detailed review of the science in order to make up my own mind.

I also wonder how many people will automatically accept these conclusions as absolute despite challenges by other experts, yet dismiss strong scientific evidence for human impact on global warming in favor of the minority opinion there.

I still don't believe in it.

We finally disagree on a political issue.

That's cool. I don't believe there's a way to resolve it one way or another. I just believe it's barbaric.

No death penalty opponent believes in it until their daughter, wife, sister, mother, aunt, etc is raped and brutally murdered. Then they can't wait to see the animal fry. The rest of us just admit that we already know how we'd feel. There should be a lottery for whoever gets to pull the switch. And it should be shown on EVERY station prime time.

No death penalty opponent believes in it until their daughter, wife, sister, mother, aunt, etc is raped and brutally murdered. Then they can't wait to see the animal fry. The rest of us just admit that we already know how we'd feel. There should be a lottery for whoever gets to pull the switch. And it should be shown on EVERY station prime time.

Well, that's nice.

Actually, my best friend's dad was murdered in a robbery. The thug who did it got less than twenty bucks. I still don't believe in it. Maybe if it were a family member, but I don't think so.

Personally, I don't think two rights make a wrong. And how do you be a person of faith one minute and slaver over the opportunity to fry someone the next?

Well, that's nice.

Actually, my best friend's dad was murdered in a robbery. The thug who did it got less than twenty bucks. I still don't believe in it. Maybe if it were a family member, but I don't think so.

Personally, I don't think two rights make a wrong. And how do you be a person of faith one minute and slaver over the opportunity to fry someone the next?

If it's my family, then it's God's job to forgive him. Otherwise, there is a TIME TO KILL. Some humans choose to live like animals. That's OK. Just don't become a rabid animal. In that case, it's our duty to keep the public safe by putting the rabid animal down. Like I said, "When it's your family." Not your best friend's.

Archived