Saban to sign contract

quietfan

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks...&thispage=2

Today's the day. Signing day. Six months after Mal Moore sealed and delivered him, Nick Saban will sign as the Alabama football coach.

The deal's done. The coach and the school are expected to put their John Hancocks on his eight-year contract, which will pay him a total of $32 million, after the trustees give their final vote of approval this afternoon.

Saban's salary will start at $3.5 million this year and increase each year until it tops out at more than $4 million a year. The total package is guaranteed, which means Alabama will have to pay the coach the entire $32 million, even if he goes 0-8 against Auburn

The contract has no buyout, so the following hypothetical could make a nervous fan hysterical: Saban could retire to his Georgia lake house at any time without having to pay Alabama a dime.

..wish I had job security like that. <_< So much for any theories that Bama powers-that-be are getting any smarter!

The contract has no buyout, so the following hypothetical could make a nervous fan hysterical: Saban could retire to his Georgia lake house at any time without having to pay Alabama a dime.

Note to self: Hire Sabans agent.

Ok, so the question I have is this: Does the no buy-out clause include the possibility of Saban leaving to go to another school? Are bama fans going to be sweating each off-season when another job comes open (say, Michigan, USC, etc.) b/c Saban can up and leave at any time, still pocket the guaranteed $32MM, and not have to pay bama a dime? Inquiring minds want to know.

Why would a program like Alabama allow this type of contract? Is this the only way they could get the guy?

In the words of the great Mr. Rogers; can you say desperation? I knew you could. :roflol::roflol:

I guess after six months he finally decided that nobody was going to offer him more money.

Ok, so the question I have is this: Does the no buy-out clause include the possibility of Saban leaving to go to another school? Are bama fans going to be sweating each off-season when another job comes open (say, Michigan, USC, etc.) b/c Saban can up and leave at any time, still pocket the guaranteed $32MM, and not have to pay bama a dime? Inquiring minds want to know.

That is what it sounds like. No buy out. He can just leave for whatever reason. That is what he had at Miami I belive. I do not think anyone had to pay any type buyout there either. Now I don't think the full contract is guaranteed if he does not stay the full time. That would be absolutely crazy.

That is what it sounds like. No buy out. He can just leave for whatever reason. That is what he had at Miami I belive. I do not think anyone had to pay any type buyout there either. Now I don't think the full contract is guaranteed if he does not stay the full time. That would be absolutely crazy.

In Miami he had no buy-out clause if he returned to college. If he were to go to another NFL team, he did have a buy-out clause.

From what I understand, the full $32MM is guaranteed, regardless of if he fulfills the full 8 years or leaves after next season.

In Miami he had no buy-out clause if he returned to college. If he were to go to another NFL team, he did have a buy-out clause.

From what I understand, the full $32MM is guaranteed, regardless of if he fulfills the full 8 years or leaves after next season.

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2007/06/saban_...s_contract.html

if he leaves on his own, he forfeits the remainder of his contract salary. there is no buyout clause if he leaves for another team....he just doesn't get the rest of his money. if he gets fired for no cause, then of course he would receive his contracted salary just like anyone else would.

There is no financial buyout clause should Saban leave for another job. But should Saban leave on his own, he would forfeit the remainder of his salary. Should Alabama choose to dismiss Saban without cause, he would still receive his full contract compensation.

Yes we do have to sweat that question.. the only security is incentives built into the contract that can alleviate his pay to almost $5.5 million...

That's the way he did it with LSU and believe it or not, he left there with incentives on the table... It's not Bama as much as it's Saban's policy and the way he does business...

Yes we do have to sweat that question.. the only security is incentives built into the contract that can alleviate his pay to almost $5.5 million...

That's the way he did it with LSU and believe it or not, he left there with incentives on the table... It's not Bama as much as it's Saban's policy and the way he does business...

Miami had to pay his buyout and still owed LSU money from what I heard even after he left Miami.

Archived