Bama players didn't have to work out under Shula?

AURainman

Sorry, Im just not buying it.

There is always a slew of reasons an old coach was failing and one of the most used explanations is poor strength and conditioning. Heck, if someone else has the backup for this, I seem to remember that when Shula took over there was a big hype about the new strength and conditioning program since the last coach was doing poorly there.

Its like you must tear down the old to accept the new. I just don't believe that Saban has brought a revolution to the Alabama workout room. A 5% difference can mean a lot on the field, but you guys are acting as though there is a 200% difference. It could just be that I am reading exaggeration and not accepting the extent to which the old program is being trashed.

You're on drugs. The most lauded aspect of CDF was his strength program and Ben Pollard. Many Bama fans were upset when Shula got rid of him for the S&C guy from Green Bay. Most of Bama's lifting records were set during Fran's tenure.

Most of Bama's lifting records were set during Fran's tenure.

I think Pappy Price set some lifting records in Pensacola that still stand.

I still think its a bit of an excuse. Anyone that has been successful in sports knows that it takes personal dedication to achieve success. Roger Clemons isn't the success he is because his coaches force him to go to workouts. Sure the players would have been in better condition has the coaches required workouts, but it doesn't really relfect the mind of a champion when they were not there of their own desire. Its still an issue of personal responsiblity and a culture of winning and doing the work neccessary to get it done.

Translated: Internet rumor. Not confirmed.

Translated: "I am calling you a liar". You know what, I don't have to prove anything to you. Either believe me or not. But don't ask me for my perspective on things, and then call me a liar. That's not cool.

I'm not calling you a liar. I'm saying this,

GIVE ME PROOF THAT SHULA DIDN'T MAKE PLAYERS WORK OUT. IF YOU CANNOT PROVIDE PROOF, YOUR COMPLAINT HAS NO MERIT, BECAUSE YOU'VE (a.) BEEN FED FALSE INFORMATION or (b.) LOOKING FOR ANY EXCUSE TO EXPLAIN THE LACK OF WINNING OVER THE LAST FOUR YEARS.

I know the internets have been feeding Bama fans the line, "Shula didn't require workouts. That's why we've been so weak. That's why teams have beaten us. Saban requires workouts. That's why we'll be better now."

Its funny. Those complaints only rained down AFTER he was fired. Hmmm.....It sounds more like fans throwing Shula under the proverbial "bus" than truth.

CAN YOU PROVIDE PROOF THAT SHULA's PLAYERS WERE WEAKER THAN THEIR SEC COUNTERPARTS?

If Shula didn't require working out then riddle me how was little Brodie able to compete at the NFL level? Saying he was some unnatural talent won't wash.

If Shula didn't require working out then riddle me how was little Brodie able to compete at the NFL level? Saying he was some unnatural talent won't wash.

If you think Brodie worked out, you are REALLY off base.

It was the hair

Shula took the pro mindset to heart. Workouts were "encouraged" but "optional".

That's why he went through 2 different S&C coaches at Bama.

And that's why Juwan Simpson did 14 reps of 225 at the combine.

:blink: I wish I played for Sheila in HS :big:

So you are saying that Brodie was a demi-god type natural talent?

not mention he could throw a football further than any other player in SEC history, but he never worked out?

You guys made fun of how skinny he was for 4 years...now all of the sudden he's a hulk?

I didn't lift weights in high school but I could throw a football over 60 yards. Brodie has long arms and a natural talent. He didn't get any bigger or any faster in college. His arm was strong the day he showed up.

If you think throwing a ball is directly proportional to arm strength...go to the gym and get the biggest guy there to throw a football.

Can weight training actually be required under NCAA regs?

They certainly can be encouraged and peer pressure (ie upperclassman leadership) is certainly a factor in winning programs such as the voluntary workouts the players have during summer.

Just want clarification on this.

Thanks

Can weight training actually be required under NCAA regs?

They certainly can be encouraged and peer pressure (ie upperclassman leadership) is certainly a factor in winning programs such as the voluntary workouts the players have during summer.

Just want clarification on this.

Thanks

A coach can mandate it at certain times of the year, I believe.

I know that at other times, they can't...but they still do....wink wink

Archived