Bama players didn't have to work out under Shula?

AURainman

A question for all you Bama-boy's here. Where are you all coming up with this, "Shula didn't make the player lift weights," story. Is it confirmed or just internet rumor? Most High Schools in this state have mandatory weight training, so how could Shula last 4 months, much less 4 years with such a loose weights policy.

Are all the {2006} Shula Fans {2007} Saban Fans throwing Shula under the bus now or is this really a confirmed case of coaching negligence (sp?)?

Shula took the pro mindset to heart. Workouts were "encouraged" but "optional".

That's why he went through 2 different S&C coaches at Bama.

And that's why Juwan Simpson did 14 reps of 225 at the combine.

under Shula bear ice cream machines replaced the weights in the weight room.

Actually I think thats just another excuse from the bammers to explain why those mega talented players at bamma underachieved under Shulabear. Now that "The SABAN" has arrived that mega talent will be whipped into shape to compete for the MNC this year-all they needed was some crunches and curls

I do not know anyone to confirm whether workouts were optional or not, but I find this almost impossible to believe. As a previous poster stated, even high schools have mandatory weight lifting. To think that a Div 1A school would tell their players, " here are the workout schedule that we encourage you to go to, but are not required" is nuts.

Someone is going to have to produce 3 or 4 players to confirm that for me.

From a rival fan, it definitely appeared as if workouts were optional, although I have no proof. When your backup QB is fatter than your starting Right Tackle, something is amiss.

Without a link, this means nothing to me. Proof, please.

From a rival fan, it definitely appeared as if workouts were optional, although I have no proof. When your backup QB is fatter than your starting Right Tackle, something is amiss.

CGS at uat required weight training but QB Freddie Kitchens was larger than most of the bammar lineman of his day. :)

CGS at uat required weight training but QB Freddie Kitchens was larger than most of the bammar lineman of his day. :)

Yes, but he was all rock-solid muscle. :big:

I think what BG meant to say was that the s/c program under Shula became optional for the superstars. I got a friend that personally saw Brodie in the weight room on many occasions, enjoying his daily popsicle while watching Judge Judy.

I think what BG meant to say was that the s/c program under Shula became optional for the superstars. I got a friend that personally saw Brodie in the weight room on many occasions, enjoying his daily popsicle while watching Judge Judy.

Hmm, daily popsicle in the weight room, while watching Judge Judy? :gofig:

This is from people inside the program. They don't exactly publish that stuff in the newspaper.

But again, ask yourself...if it was required for Juwan Simpson to lift weights everyday, why could he only get 225 14 times at the combine? Brady Quinn did like 25 or something.

I do bench once a week, lift twice a week. I'm 6-4 with really long arms, and I do my bench rep work with 210lbs. If I was working out 5 days a week or whatever is normal, I'd blow 225 x 15 out of the water. And most people here would too.

This is not true. Weight workouts were mandatory. Some were excused for flimsy "health" reasons (Brodie?) but they were not optional.

Why are you giving yourself this excuse?

Is it possible Juwan was just a puss? I think that question has already been definitively answered.

This is not true. Weight workouts were mandatory. Some were excused for flimsy "health" reasons (Brodie?) but they were not optional.

Why are you giving yourself this excuse?

Is it possible Juwan was just a puss? I think that question has already been definitively answered.

Attendance to the weightroom for certain time blocks in the day were BARELY mandatory (read not enforced), and actually lifting weights while you were there...was not required.

It's not an excuse. I've been saying it for some time now...well before Shula was fired.

You just want to think that everything will be the same under Saban...and that there is no difference in conditioning, caliber of players, effort, or ability under the new leadership.

Well, based on how Alabama played last year, I'm guessing they hung out in the steam room, took showers together, and then snapped each other with towels before dashing back to the dorm to watch another episode of "What Not To Wear."

I was talking to a Bammer last weekend. (I know, big waste of time) He told me that UAT would start winning Iron Bowls immediately because of better conditioning.

"Every one of those five games we lost in the fourth quarter. Saban's gonna stop that."

I said I thought Auburn was ahead 21-0 in the first quarter of the 2005 game, but he claimed my memory failed me, Auburn only got ahead in the fourth quarter.

I said I thought CTT went conservative because he had a safe lead in most of those five games and Bammer outscored Auburn in the fourth quarter in almost every one of them, but he said that just ain't so.

Revisionist history is alive and well in the Mullet Nation, or, "Don't let the truth stand in the way of a good theory."

Well, we know Saban will make weight training mandatory this year. The players will get a good work out bringing his bags of cash to his office every week. Some may even get extra workouts with the bags of cash they will be taking back out.

This is from people inside the program. They don't exactly publish that stuff in the newspaper.

Translated: Internet rumor. Not confirmed.

But again, ask yourself...if it was required for Juwan Simpson to lift weights everyday, why could he only get 225 14 times at the combine? Brady Quinn did like 25 or something.

I have no idea why Juwan Simpson couldn't lift for the NFL scouts at the combine. However, as an Engineer, I would never create a broad assumption based on a sample size of ONE. If you can provide tangible evidence that, as a general trend, the (a) OL at Bama are weaker than the OL at ND, AU, USC, etc. ( B) RB at Bama are weaker than the RB at ND, AU, USC, etc., © ......you get my drift. Juwan Simpson means nothing to me.

I do bench once a week, lift twice a week. I'm 6-4 with really long arms, and I do my bench rep work with 210lbs. If I was working out 5 days a week or whatever is normal, I'd blow 225 x 15 out of the water. And most people here would too.

I can't speak for you and what you could do, but I've seen NO evidence that Shula didn't work his players out. Personally, I think its a weak, made-up excuse that you all have concocted to say that Shula's regime was incompetent and Saban will "whip dem boyahs into shape!"

I was talking to a Bammer last weekend. (I know, big waste of time) He told me that UAT would start winning Iron Bowls immediately because of better conditioning.

"Every one of those five games we lost in the fourth quarter. Saban's gonna stop that."

I said I thought Auburn was ahead 21-0 in the first quarter of the 2005 game, but he claimed my memory failed me, Auburn only got ahead in the fourth quarter.

I said I thought CTT went conservative because he had a safe lead in most of those five games and Bammer outscored Auburn in the fourth quarter in almost every one of them, but he said that just ain't so.

Revisionist history is alive and well in the Mullet Nation, or, "Don't let the truth stand in the way of a good theory."

I know he's wrong. I was at that game, and it was 21-0 before I got my first hot dog.

Translated: Internet rumor. Not confirmed.

Translated: "I am calling you a liar". You know what, I don't have to prove anything to you. Either believe me or not. But don't ask me for my perspective on things, and then call me a liar. That's not cool.

Curious....how do you get 210 on the bar? What combination of plates IS that? Are you using a standard 45# bar, or what?

Curious....how do you get 210 on the bar? What combination of plates IS that? Are you using a standard 45# bar, or what?

Standard 45lb bar. 45lb plates, 35lb plates, 2.5lb weights.

Have you ever thought that maybe there wasn't anything really wrong with the strength and conditioning coaches except maybe a slightly less intense attitude from the coach?

I can tell you those kids would have been murdered on the field if they didn't work out. Injuries at every position. Shula may have had hios problems at coaching, but the kids played hard and did their best.

In my opinion I think maybe the root of the issue was recruiting wasn't as hot as all the pumped up scores Alabama was getting. Could it just be that you had less talent and players with bad attitudes? I mean, look at who got recruited this last year and how late for bama. Not a lot of talent being snapped up by the NFL may show not a lot of talent was present.

Have you ever thought that maybe there wasn't anything really wrong with the strength and conditioning coaches except maybe a slightly less intense attitude from the coach?

I can tell you those kids would have been murdered on the field if they didn't work out. Injuries at every position. Shula may have had hios problems at coaching, but the kids played hard and did their best.

In my opinion I think maybe the root of the issue was recruiting wasn't as hot as all the pumped up scores Alabama was getting. Could it just be that you had less talent and players with bad attitudes? I mean, look at who got recruited this last year and how late for bama. Not a lot of talent being snapped up by the NFL may show not a lot of talent was present.

All you have to do is look at pictures of AU players vs Bama players over the last 4 years. AU players are absolutely shredded. Bama players all look soft. Except for a few guys who really went after the weightroom on their own.

All of AU's players don't look like that out of high school.

Sorry, Im just not buying it.

There is always a slew of reasons an old coach was failing and one of the most used explanations is poor strength and conditioning. Heck, if someone else has the backup for this, I seem to remember that when Shula took over there was a big hype about the new strength and conditioning program since the last coach was doing poorly there.

Its like you must tear down the old to accept the new. I just don't believe that Saban has brought a revolution to the Alabama workout room. A 5% difference can mean a lot on the field, but you guys are acting as though there is a 200% difference. It could just be that I am reading exaggeration and not accepting the extent to which the old program is being trashed.

Archived