Raising mileage standards...agree?

TexasTiger

Isn't this a national security issue? Aren't we safer and in more control of our destiny if we have energy independence? Aren't we better off if we are not funding Saudi Arabia and Venezuela? Aren't those goals worth some measure of sacrifice, BG? You sound like any modification on your part is unacceptable.

Isn't this a national security issue? Aren't we safer and in more control of our destiny if we have energy independence? Aren't we better off if we are not funding Saudi Arabia and Venezuela? Aren't those goals worth some measure of sacrifice, BG? You sound like any modification on your part is unacceptable.

I'm kind of with you on this, TT. You guys keep clinging to those gas hogs, and then complain how the Saudis and Chavez have us over a barrel. As if one has nothing to do with the other.

If it weren't for our high gas consumption, Chavez would just be another harmless banana republic dictator, and Osama Bin Laden would be sitting in a Saudi oasis somewhere, wondering where his next meal was coming from.

My feeling on it is until the government REALLY forces companies to pursue alternative fuel sources, we will continue to be held over a barrel, regardless.

But that won't happen, because there is too much money in the current business model.

They can have my F250 when they pry it from.....wait. That's my guns. Damn! You people are trying to take everything. Next you'll be forcing me give up my beer. You damn communists.

I'm kind of with you on this, TT. You guys keep clinging to those gas hogs, and then complain how the Saudis and Chavez have us over a barrel. As if one has nothing to do with the other.

If it weren't for our high gas consumption, Chavez would just be another harmless banana republic dictator, and Osama Bin Laden would be sitting in a Saudi oasis somewhere, wondering where his next meal was coming from.

We definitely help to empower the bastards and fund terrorism and upheaval by refusing to change our ways.

Brazil supposedly has energy dependence, why can't we? We just haven't chosen to make the hard decisions yet. Cleaner diesel should help matters. Well-heeled Europeans drive nice diesel Mercedes that get great mileage. We'll see more diesel cars in a couple of years. CCTAU's truck gets much better mileage than it's gasoline powered counterpart.

And Titan's right...think of all the technological advances we've made over the last 25 years, but we've made comparatively little progress on this front. That's a function of priority. And over that same time, what has happened in the Middle East? What is the funding source of Islamic fundamentalist terrorism? It ain't the textile industry.

They can have my F250 when they pry it from.....wait. That's my guns. Damn! You people are trying to take everything. Next you'll be forcing me give up my beer. You damn communists.

Aw CC. No one wants to take your F250 away. We just want to make the next one you buy get much better gas mileage and still do what you want it to do. :yes:

Aw CC. No one wants to take your F250 away. We just want to make the next one you buy get much better gas mileage and still do what you want it to do. :yes:

Me too. I like being able to pull my 30 ft. TT at 17 mpg as opposed to 8 mpg with my wife's van.

As soon as the US drops the ppm of sulfur to 2 ppm to match Europe, we can take better advantage of their technology. Not sure when that will be, The US JUST dropped ours to 15 ppm from 500 ppm.

The problem with the smaller diesels is the emissions issues. Vehicles weighing under 8500 lbs have more stringent controls. The government needs to drop the rules for trucks for the first few years in order to adapt European technology more swiftly.

F150 diesel

We are not running out of oil

We do need to get off the Mid East oil tit tho. ASAP would suit me just fine. I heard a speaker over the weekend that was in Alaska during the pipeline construction.

Lindsey Williams' Book

LW videos

The more conservative you are, the more you will like or dislike the videos. He gives a very frank look at how the futures market is the real driver in oil prices. You and I are just not that important. He is a real pastor and missionary. He sat in on oil industry meetings for years.

Get ready for your world to be rocked. We get rid of Greenpeace, we are in a totally different world.

Get ready for your world to be rocked. We get rid of Greenpeace, we are in a totally different world.

Most folks with half a mind have known that for years. I'm not really sure they are SAVING anything. Mostly they are just another "anti" who really is not sure what to put after the "anti".

Most folks with half a mind have known that for years. I'm not really sure they are SAVING anything. Mostly they are just another "anti" who really is not sure what to put after the "anti".

If you listen to the videos, you will be almost certain that the leading Environmentalists are actually oil industry Jesuits.

Guns; 2nd Amendment

Beer; 21st Amendment

F250; Sorry, don't see it in the Constitution. When the Constitution is amended for the right to bear F250's and SUV's and BamaGrad's happening family sedan, or whatever the heck he wants, then I will be with you to the death on this one. Until then, driving anything is a privilege, not a right.

However, I think better then government mandates would maybe be extra fees added to any vehicle that gets less then 30 mpg. For instance, if a guy wants to be a big gas guzzling SUV, then that is his right, but he will have to pay an extra $5000-$10000 dollars for that privilege. So, when those SUV and sports cars are not selling as well because of the extra fee, you will probably start seeing a more earnest attempt from them to make more energy efficient engines.

I would add a surcharge something like this (the exact amount to be determined) as a tax, with the proceeds reserved exclusively for energy research aimed at getting us weaned from the crude oil teat in general. Pesons who needed the larger vehicles for professional reasons or because of large families could apply for a tax exemption or rebate if they could adequately document their need.

As for personal freedoms, I see no difference between allowing the government to regulate this and allowing the government to regulate food purity, workplace safety, or auto emissions as they do already. Or for that matter, outlawing the use of a common herb in the privacy of one's own home for medical or recreational purposes.

However, I think better then government mandates would maybe be extra fees added to any vehicle that gets less then 30 mpg. For instance, if a guy wants to be a big gas guzzling SUV, then that is his right, but he will have to pay an extra $5000-$10000 dollars for that privilege. So, when those SUV and sports cars are not selling as well because of the extra fee, you will probably start seeing a more earnest attempt from them to make more energy efficient engines.

I would add a surcharge something like this (the exact amount to be determined) as a tax, with the proceeds reserved exclusively for energy research aimed at getting us weaned from the crude oil teat in general. Pesons who needed the larger vehicles for professional reasons or because of large families could apply for a tax exemption or rebate if they could adequately document their need.

As for personal freedoms, I see no difference between allowing the government to regulate this and allowing the government to regulate food purity, workplace safety, or auto emissions as they do already. Or for that matter, outlawing the use of a common herb in the privacy of one's own home for medical or recreational purposes.

My only issue with this is that dummies who don't need it and just enjoy wasting gas at the rate of 13mpg already pay a surcharge...they pay gas tax on every gallon they use and they use more than anyone else. Much as I wish they'd use some common sense in the type of vehicle they drive, I'm not in favor of more taxes.

• 11 months later...

Guys, the current oil prices have NOTHING to do with lack of oil. They have everything to do with oil speculation on the open markets.

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

I still stand by that position. But the only way to change the nature of speculation is to tip the supply side scale by a wider margin.

I still stand by that position. But the only way to change the nature of speculation is to tip the supply side scale by a wider margin.

Guys, the current oil prices have NOTHING to do with lack of oil.
But we need more oil to reduce current prices. Do you stand by both of those positions? :roflol::roflol:

But we need more oil to reduce current prices. Do you stand by both of those positions?

Absolutely. Because putting more oil into the market has a huge PSYCHOLOGICAL effect on the market.

It's a shot in the arm, not a 100 year fix. I want to bridge the gap to alternative fuels. Not spend the next 30 years in hell waiting on a pie in the sky solution.

My feeling on it is until the government REALLY forces companies to pursue alternative fuel sources, we will continue to be held over a barrel, regardless.

So how do you think the government should force companies to pursue alternative fuel sources?

So how do you think the government should force companies to pursue alternative fuel sources?

Force is a strong word. I think the government needs to get serious about their subsidies and tax breaks for oil companies who put forth a SERIOUS investment in alternative fuels not named e85.

But I'm not one who thinks drilling is the ultimate solution. I think we ultimately need to be on something other than oil. But I don't want $20 gas for 20 years until we get there.

Archived