Two more AU signees on campus

MDM4AU

Opelika-Auburn News

Two more AU signees on campus

Collin Mickle

Staff Writer

Friday, July 13, 2007

With the start of preseason practice just three weeks away, Auburn’s 2007 freshman class is finally filling out.

Two more Tigers - cornerback Ryan Williams and linebacker Eltoro Freeman - are set to arrive on campus in the coming days. Their arrivals will bring the total of 2007 signees on campus to 20.

Williams, who was embroiled in a mysterious grade-changing scandal involving Mobile County Public Schools officials, was vetted by the NCAA Clearinghouse and declared eligible to enroll at AU.

According to published reports, the grades controversy, which also involved another AU signee, lineman Nick Fairley, is still unsolved. Neither Williams or AU has been accused of any wrongdoing.

Three signees - defensive tackle Tim Lamb, safety Johnnie Lee Dixon and lineman Jermaine Johnson - will enroll at prep schools; depending on their grades at prep school, all three could be eligible to enroll at AU for the spring semester.

Lineman Wilfred Journent and Brandon Earl and linebackers Carlton Johnson and Chris Zinn will go to junior college.

Wideout Chris Slaughter, a 2006 signee who attended a prep school last year, is still under review by the Clearinghouse. Slaughter can’t join his teammates until the Clearinghouse approves his transcripts.

Fairley, who was expected to enroll in junior college, is also waiting for official word from the Clearinghouse, as is touted tailback recruit Enrique Davis.

Opelika-Auburn News

linebacker Eltoro Freeman - set to arrive on campus in the coming days.

Anyone know why the Bull wasn't in AU earlier this summer?

Had to retake the ACT.

I didn't realize there was a problem with Slaughter. We need this guy in the fold. Everytime I see "Clearinghouse" and one of our players, I just think it may be another year before we see him on campus.

I didn't realize there was a problem with Slaughter. We need this guy in the fold. Everytime I see "Clearinghouse" and one of our players, I just think it may be another year before we see him on campus.

No doubt! Remember the Stanley McClover clearinghouse disaster?

The Lemarcus Rowell ordeal was probably the worst. He had a math class that the clearinghouse waited till late October to allow. We should of saw the writing on the wall.

How come the Mobile kids names are all over the paper and where they are going to play football (Auburn) and in the Hoovergate situation they are not naming names and what school those kids are going?

I have been keeping up with both situations via this Board and do not understand. Someone please explain!!

WDE!! :au:

How come the Mobile kids names are all over the paper and where they are going to play football (Auburn) and in the Hoovergate situation they are not naming names and what school those kids are going?

I have been keeping up with both situations via this Board and do not understand. Someone please explain!!

WDE!! :au:

I know a lot of folks will speculate that it's probably because of who the players in question actually signed with. There may very well be some underhanded stuff (Shenanigans, if you will) going on in releasing names in one case and not the other. But, I have to think that Hoovergate comes right on the heels of the MPR handling their story the way they did. I would imagine the MPR took a good hammering from a lot of folks with the way they released the story and there was definitely the threat of legal action. May still be. When the Hoover story broke, I would assume that the school and press actually tried to learn from what the MPR did and try to keep names out of it as much as possible.

Or there could be.......shenanigans

I didn't know that Davis was a question mark for us. I sure hope he gets cleared.

WDE!

If I was Ryan Williams I'd be suing the she-ite out of the mpr. They'll settle and he can cash a check big enough to start a nice nest egg.

my mother works for the MPR. there is nothing illegal about what they did, and there is no pending litigation against them for it nor does there seem to be any on the horizon. it is not illegal for the MPR to print a story with names of kids involved in it. now, the mobile county school board may make it policy not to release names in a situation like this, and whoever the MPR found that was willing to run their mouth may be in some trouble with the school board. there is certainly no legal obligation on the MPR's part to not report the names. i would like to see anyone here show a link proving that there will be litigation against the MPR. if it was illegal, i highly doubt they are stupid enough to print it all over their front page. they've been printing newspapers for a little while.....

If I was Ryan Williams I'd be suing the she-ite out of the mpr. They'll settle and he can cash a check big enough to start a nice nest egg.

my mother works for the MPR. there is nothing illegal about what they did, and there is no pending litigation against them for it nor does there seem to be any on the horizon. it is not illegal for the MPR to print a story with names of kids involved in it. now, the mobile county school board may make it policy not to release names in a situation like this, and whoever the MPR found that was willing to run their mouth may be in some trouble with the school board. there is certainly no legal obligation on the MPR's part to not report the names. i would like to see anyone here show a link proving that there will be litigation against the MPR. if it was illegal, i highly doubt they are stupid enough to print it all over their front page. they've been printing newspapers for a little while.....

rws, while you are right about the MPR, there are some oddities about the story. I think the school board might be the guilty party. For example, how was the story "uncovered?" Is it news that students grades had been changed? My guess is that it is only news when those students are athletes. How did we find out who the students were? From my understanding, the MPR found that they were Auburn signees. That basically gave the names away. Who told the MPR that they were Auburn signess? That person should be disciplined heavily.

(Hope it wasn't your mom.) :)

Good luck to Ryan. I'm extremely happy that he is on campus after all that he has been through.

War Eagle!

rws, while you are right about the MPR, there are some oddities about the story. I think the school board might be the guilty party. For example, how was the story "uncovered?" Is it news that students grades had been changed? My guess is that it is only news when those students are athletes. How did we find out who the students were? From my understanding, the MPR found that they were Auburn signees. That basically gave the names away. Who told the MPR that they were Auburn signess? That person should be disciplined heavily.

(Hope it wasn't your mom.) :)

Good luck to Ryan. I'm extremely happy that he is on campus after all that he has been through.

War Eagle!

my mother works for the MPR, not the school board.

i do agree that there may be some legal issues with the school board. as far as how the story was "uncovered", you would have to understand that the school board is a very VERY hot topic lately. pretty much everyday it seems there is a story in the paper about it. its no secret that the Mobile school system is way out of whack. how many schools do you know of where they fired every single person that worked there? they did that at B.C. Rain because there was widespread corruption. most believe it extends throughout the system. then it seems every week we see a story about Dr. Dodge either might get his contract extended or he might be leaving....it really is a big mess over there.

Does that mean Enrique is on campus? <_<

It'll be August before we know anything on him.

Archived