CBS SL story on Big East Media day.

WAR-MATT

CBS

NEWPORT, R.I. -- The contract is still in Jim Leavitt's office somewhere. Sign it and he would have been Alabama's coach in 2003.

"We're always going to keep it, in case anybody ever wonders," said the South Florida coach. "I was the guy who would have had the job and was going to lead them through the probation years."

Leavitt says that with a sense of pride and dread having seen his own future. Alabama came hard after the now 50-year-old former Missouri defensive back after Dennis Franchione left Tuscaloosa in 2002. Mike Shula (after Mike Price) eventually got the job, lasting four tumultuous seasons.

"I made the right decision," Leavitt said. "Hell, Shula, an Alabama guy who won 10 games, was let go."

In a cramped meeting room here during Big East media day, it's strange that Alabama is hanging so heavy in the air. Over in one corner West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez is describing his brief fling with the Crimson Tide. There's Leavitt, who was courted again last year after Shula was let go.

Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm is asked how serious Nick Saban was about hiring his brother Jeff, the Cardinals quarterbacks coach at the time.

"He went down there," Brian said. "They offered him. They didn't want him to leave without signing."

The contract was left as blank as the one in Leavitt's office. A few years ago it would have been below Alabama to pick up the phone for the likes of Leavitt, Rodriguez or Brohm. Even if 'Bama did dial the digits, it would have been even more preposterous for any of the three to turn down the Tide.

... A few years ago it would have been below Alabama to pick up the phone for the likes of Leavitt, Rodriguez or Brohm. Even if 'Bama did dial the digits, it would have been even more preposterous for any of the three to turn down the Tide.

Ouch. That's gotta sting for the uatters. :no:

"I made the right decision," Leavitt said. "Hell, Shula, an Alabama guy who won 10 games, was let go."

aaaaand that's about ALL he did while at bama. when you can't win a game against pretty much any bigtime SEC team, you can't win a game when trailing in the 4th quarter, and when the fanbase of your in-state rival prays that he is retained for many years to come signifies a problem.

aaaaand that's about ALL he did while at bama. when you can't win a game against pretty much any bigtime SEC team, you can't win a game when trailing in the 4th quarter, and when the fanbase of your in-state rival prays that he is retained for many years to come signifies a problem.

Now that just isnt right. We didnt pray, hoped like hell maybe, but I dont think we ever prayed.... ;)

Saban, the second coming of Bear Bryant Mike Shula.

That part about us offering Leavitt after Shula was fired is a lie.

It does not say they offered...

It syas they "COURTED" him, which IMO means talked.

How would you know if they talked?

aaaaand that's about ALL he did while at bama. when you can't win a game against pretty much any bigtime SEC team, you can't win a game when trailing in the 4th quarter, and when the fanbase of your in-state rival prays that he is retained for many years to come signifies a problem...You might be a bammer.

foxworthy-crop.jpg

Archived