Biggio Makes It Official

Jenny AU-92

I know someone already posted this in the other thread, but I thought this deserved its own topic.

Biggio did indeed announce yesterday that he was retiring. His last regular season home game is September 30. And then, as if scripted by Hollywood, he came up with bases loaded two out in the 6th inning of a tie game with the Dodgers and belted a huge grand slam home run. Astros win 7-4.

From a few different sources:

The 41-year-old, in his 20th major league season, is batting .247 with 24 doubles, five homers and 31 RBI. He began Tuesday with 3,014 hits, six shy of tying Rafael Palmeiro for 23rd place. He's 24th all-time in hits, sixth in doubles (five behind George Brett (665) for fifth place on the career doubles list) 14th in runs scored and 31st in total bases. He also has four Gold Gloves to his credit. Last night, with his first hit, he became the 27th player in major league history to reach 1,000 extra-base hits.

Biggio has played his entire major league career with the Astros, becoming the longest-tenured player in franchise history. He is the only player in major league history with 600 doubles, 250 homers, 3,000 hits and 400 steals.

Craig Biggio is one of the greatest players to ever don a uniform - not only on the basis of the records he holds, but also on the basis of his character. He has never done anything to disgrace his family or his team or himself. In this day and age, that's saying a lot.

This guy played three positions very well for Astros. I hope he stays in baseball in some sort of capacity; the game needs more like him. Kudos Mr. Biggio on a great career.

Yep, I'll miss watching him play.

i'm looking forward to seeing him play for most likely the last time in my life tomorrow in Atlanta, unless i can make it back for the game thursday. i watched his entire career and tried to model my own self after him in every aspect of my game. he was a great role model and i'm glad that he's given me the past 20 years of fun and excitement. hopefully the new era of players will take on his character and share his love, passion, and respect for the game. Guys like McCann, Francouer, Salty, Zimmerman, Pence, etc. I feel like the league is coming up with lots of young players with the Biggio take nothing for granted, work hard, have fun, attitude.

as much as i respect the braves and their organization, i'm gonna be in my Houston attire tomorrow. Go 'Stros! :) :cheer:

Archived