#2 man in AD's office at UAT, to escape

JohnDeere

link

TUSCALOOSA | Johnny Williams, who has served since 2004 as the University of Alabama’s Senior Associate Athletic Director for External Operations, announced his retirement from the UA Athletic Department Friday evening.

Prior to his arrival in Troy, Williams, a 1975 graduate at Holt, was the head football coach and athletic director at Pickens County High School in 1984. He also served as an assistant coach at his alma mater, the University of North Alabama, from 1979-83. A 1980 graduate of UNA with a degree in health/physical education, Williams was a four-year defensive starter for the Lions, earning Defensive Lineman of the Year honors in 1978. He was selected to the UNA Team of the Decade for the 1970s.

Johnny got to UNA right after Mickey Andrews left.

I know Johnny Williams. He was the guy who put Troy State on the map, so to speak, when he moved them to Division I-A ball. The guy is just a powerhouse. A high-energy, great guy who just did some incredible things at Troy--far more than anybody would have ever believed possible. I think if he had stayed at Troy, it would have quickly become the equivalent of a USF.

When Alabama snapped him up, I thought it was a bad career move. Mal Moore wasn't going to give up power, especially to somebody that competent. They made him big promises, then shoved him in a corner.

My personal theory is that Alabama hired Williams to eliminate a potential competitor in the state. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that they've written him a nice fat check to keep him out of circulation, along with a very strong non-compete agreement.

Archived