Mcfadden heading to NFL

WarTiger

Linky Dinky

The mother of junior Arkansas running back Darren McFadden told ESPN.com on Friday night that her son will play his last season of college football this fall before turning pro.

"He told me [Friday], 'Mom, I'll be through in December,'" Mini Muhammed said. "I said, 'What you mean?' He said, 'I'll be through.' That's what he told me."

Asked if that meant her son would be entering the draft and joining the NFL, Muhammed said, "Yeah. He'll be making big money."

McFadden, a true junior, finished second in the 2006 Heisman Trophy voting to Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith. He's a preseason first-team All-American and considered one of the leading candidates for the Heisman again this year. He is widely considered a near-lock first-round NFL draft pick.

In Fayetteville on Wednesday, McFadden told ESPN.com that he did not anticipate making a decision on his future until after the season was over.

"A lot will have to do with how I perform this season, McFadden said.

Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said much the same thing Wednesday when asked about McFadden's pro future.

"We'll make the right decision," Nutt said, noting that the Razorbacks have been through this several times in recent years with underclassmen leaving early for the draft.

Arkansas football spokesman Kevin Trainor said Friday night that the school had no response to Muhammed's statements. Trainor did reiterate that McFadden and Nutt stand by their Wednesday comments that there will be no decision on McFadden's future until after this season.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound McFadden led the Southeastern Conference in rushing in 2006 with 1,647 yards and scored 14 touchdowns on the ground. He also played quarterback out of the shotgun formation regularly in the second half of the season, completing 7-of-9 passes and throwing one touchdown.

Pat Forde is a national columnist for ESPN.com. He can be reached at ESPN4D@aol.com.

thank god!!!

I'm glad too, we won't have to face him. But, I imagine his getting out of Arkansas so quickly, is not just the money he will get from the NFL. He wants to get out of that nuthouse at Arkansas.

thank god!!!

I'm glad too, we won't have to face him. But, I imagine his getting out of Arkansas so quickly, is not just the money he will get from the NFL. He wants to get out of that nuthouse at Arkansas.

What you mean?

So a year from now he's gone and there's a vacancy atop the SEC rushing stats--to be filled, hopefully, by whichever one of our tailbacks thrusts himself to the front this year! :cheer:

I assumed this would happen anyway, but it is good to see it in print.

So, Houston Nutt says, "WE'LL make the right decision" as if he has ANY say in it.

His decision may be to jump off the nearest bridge the day McFadden declares for the NFL.

What's to say McFadden will have the same productive season as last year? Isn't Ark having to replace the majority of their O-Line?

In no way am I saying he can't do it again, but usually a RB's success is determined by the line in front of them...

Archived