Melick: Saban isn't Bear

quietfan

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/rm....xml&coll=2

Saban doesn't do Bear-like disciplining

Thursday, August 23, 2007

So much we don't know about Nick Saban, but at least this much we do:

He doesn't have curfews.

He doesn't believe in making known places off-limits to his players.

He knows college football players are in college to play football.

Is this any way to run a football team?

Despite a certain segment of the Alabama nation desperate to find similarities between Saban and a certain college coach whose legacy has reached mythic proportion, this isn't Bear Bryant-style discipline.

To his credit, Saban did not join the conspiracy theorists who would have us believe the Tuscaloosa police are out to get anyone who looks like an Alabama football player.

(Could this be the beginning of a new legal defense: athletic profiling?)

In fact, if you believe the police report, it sounds like the police have a better idea of the responsibility that comes with being a Crimson Tide football player than some of the players do.

"I also told him he was a member of a nationally recognized school and football team that he was representing in the street, yelling and cussing. The way he was acting was embarrassing to the school and the team," the arresting officer said.

The good news is, apparently NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's new "get tough" policy is working, at least on the next generation of pros, even if this current generation is still willing to lie to his face. Castille's stated fear upon being arrested was "that this was going to hurt his draft status," according to the report. (Yeah, I kinda wondered about this..1st fear: not Saban's wrath, Daddy's wrath, embarrasing the team and the University, or the letting down the team if he had to sit out games; but "What about my NFL chances?" )

That's exactly what Goodell wants to hear. On the other hand, there's no need for Castille to be concerned. Saban immediately put to rest any worries future NFL teams might have about Castille, saying, "Simeon Castille, I will recommend to anybody at any time for any job that he ever wants in America, including the National Football League. He's one of the finest young men on our team."

And just to make sure Castille doesn't miss any opportunity to show his stuff for potential future NFL employers, Saban made it sound as if it takes a lot to for him to consider having players miss any playing time.

"I don't think it's fair to take away what guys actually came to college for," Saban said, in a statement that should be applauded for its honesty, even if it causes a shudder among NCAA President Myles Brand and his academic reform buddies in Indianapolis. (yeah, degrees are such a BS reason for being in college. :rolleyes: )

Saban has talked about initiating a "ride along" program between his team and the local police. Given the recent frequency of interaction between those players and the Tuscaloosa police, the program is off to a fast start - although it may not be exactly what Saban had in mind. (Rule #1: You may not head butt the windows while riding in the patrol car. :lol: )

If things don't change, Saban said he may have to address team discipline in a different way.

The old coaches used to try things like curfews, making certain places off-limits, and at least paying lip service to the idea of players being in school for an education. :roflol:

It's just a suggestion.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/rm....xml&coll=2

"I don't think it's fair to take away what guys actually came to college for," Saban said, in a statement that should be applauded for its honesty, even if it causes a shudder among NCAA President Myles Brand and his academic reform buddies in Indianapolis. (yeah, degrees are such a BS reason for being in college. :rolleyes: )

You'd think a poor, gas pumping, country boy would know a thing or two about PRIVILEGES!

You'd think a poor, gas pumping, country boy would know a thing or two about PRIVILEGES!

Enough already with your horror stories of pumping gas and dipping ice cream. I'm going to pull my hair out if I hear him say that again.

What? A Birmingham News article that is critical of Alabama? NOOOO WAY!

Mark this one down too.

You are so right Carl.

You better remember this article because you may never see another one.

What? A Birmingham News article that is critical of Alabama? NOOOO WAY!

Mark this one down too.

Some "stories" are soooooo obvious that they write themselves. I hope this "writer" has brick insurance.

"Saban isn't Bear"

So I shouldn't sit around waiting for the prints of Bear and Saban leaning against a goal post? And should I give up going through young pictures of Bear looking for one that looks like Saban?

So it isn't so.

ggbear.jpg

Melick: Saban isn't Bear

Blasphemy!!!

brick insurance

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

(quietfan @ Aug 24 2007, 07:53 AM)

"I don't think it's fair to take away what guys actually came to college for," Saban said, in a statement that should be applauded for its honesty, even if it causes a shudder among NCAA President Myles Brand and his academic reform buddies in Indianapolis. (yeah, degrees are such a BS reason for being in college. )

I hear degrees are only a side benefit at some schools.

Sincerely, could there be any bigger difference between these two schools?

"Saban isn't Bear"

So I shouldn't sit around waiting for the prints of Bear and Saban leaning against a goal post? And should I give up going through young pictures of Bear looking for one that looks like Saban?

So it isn't so.

ggbear.jpg

See, sntemp? You just don't get it. Only AU people bring up comparisons to Bahr with the coach du jour at uat. The bammies never discuss this. They just refuse to live in the past.

Archived