Can Josh Chapman play?

au9596

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks....xml&coll=2

Alabama faces decisions on Josh Chapman

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Can Josh Chapman play? You don't have to be a rock star football coach to know he can.

But there's a bigger question about the true freshman nose tackle from Hoover High School as Alabama heads into game week for the exhibition/opener against Western Carolina.

Will Chapman play?

Meeting a patsy would seem to be the perfect opportunity to get some live reps for a young talent on a defensive front in need of reinforcements, but there are four possible reasons why Alabama could make Chapman wait.

N.C.A.A.

That organization is well aware of some red flags about Chapman's academic eligibility that were raised in a Wednesday story in this newspaper by Jon Solomon and Erin Stock.

According to the first "final" transcript Hoover sent to Alabama, Chapman would be ineligible to play as a freshman because his grade-point average wasn't quite high enough.

Alabama, thinking Chapman would be eligible, called Hoover to ask about the situation.

Hoover, without notifying the teacher of the class until 13 days later, recalculated and changed one of Chapman's grades. That change raised his GPA just enough to make him eligible.

Based on the second "final" transcript, Chapman started taking classes during the summer at Alabama and started practicing in fall camp.

As it turned out, the grade change was a miscalculation, according to former Hoover principal Richard Bishop. "An honest mistake," he said, but a mistake just the same.

The first transcript, which would've made Chapman ineligible to play as a freshman, was correct. So is Chapman eligible or not?

Has Alabama asked the NCAA to rule on that question? Common sense would say yes. An ounce of prevention is supposed to be worth a pound of self-imposed sanctions down the road.

Will the NCAA make a ruling on Chapman's status by Saturday? If not, Alabama almost has to hold him out as a precaution until it gets a ruling.

Alabama compliance director Chris King wouldn't answer any questions Saturday about Chapman. "We're not making any comment on that due to privacy laws," King said.

Fair enough, but the NCAA might have some questions of its own. Did Alabama simply accept the amended, favorable transcript from Hoover or did it ask some hard questions about why the grade was changed in Chapman's favor?

When did Alabama discover the grade change was a mistake and did it quickly inform the NCAA of that fact?

The phone call from Alabama to Hoover, questioning Chapman's original final transcript, is just one reason this is an Alabama issue as well as a Hoover issue.

By coincidence, Alabama held its annual start-of-school compliance meeting for the entire athletic department last week. As has been the case with previous staffs, the football coaches did not attend.

This trend bothers some members of the department, but King said he keeps in close contact with the football coaches on compliance matters. He said that he's met with the football staff three times in August, and added that he meets with Nick Saban virtually every day the head coach is in the office.

"Nick and I have a protocol," King said. ``We deal with each other."

It's a good bet, as game week arrives, they'll be dealing with questions that should've been answered some time ago about Josh Chapman. Kevin Scarbinsky's column appears Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Write him at kscarbinsky@bhamnews.com.

We have heard all the spin!!

bammer's just don't get it!!

:popcorn:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks....xml&coll=2

Meeting a patsy would seem to be the perfect opportunity to get some live reps for a young talent on a defensive front in need of reinforcements, but there are four possible reasons why Alabama could make Chapman wait.

N.C.A.A.Wise move...

The phone call from Alabama to Hoover, questioning Chapman's original final transcript, is just one reason this is an Alabama issue as well as a Hoover issue. :clap:

By coincidence, Alabama held its annual start-of-school compliance meeting for the entire athletic department last week. As has been the case with previous staffs, the football coaches did not attend. Why Alabama has been on continuous probation since 1994 or 95.

We have heard all the spin!!

Bammer's just don't get it!!

:popcorn:

Very telling that Scab wrote all that.

Until someone is able to directly tie the University of Alabama to Josh Chapman's grade being changed, this has nothing to do with Bama.

The phone call from Alabama to Hoover, questioning Chapman's original final transcript, is just one reason this is an Alabama issue as well as a Hoover issue.

It's almost as if Kevin was paying attention. :lol:

I love creme horns. They are so delicious. I just can't get enough. First you've got the white frothy creme oozing from the end. Just looking at that gooey goodness gives me chills. And then you've got the horn. Horns are for blowing. When I was in band camp, I lived to blow the horn. But this is a different kind of horn. It's hard and a little flaky on the outside, but when you bite down on it, you get a wonderful creme surprise! It's simply the epitome of goodness.

I bet if you loved creme horns as much as I do, you'd scare yourself!

I love creme horns. They are so delicious. I just can't get enough. First you've got the white frothy creme oozing from the end. Just looking at that gooey goodness gives me chills. And then you've got the horn. Horns are for blowing. When I was in band camp, I lived to blow the horn. But this is a different kind of horn. It's hard and a little flaky on the outside, but when you bite down on it, you get a wonderful creme surprise! It's simply the epitome of goodness.

Oh yeah, we're just shaking in our boots.

I wish Saint Saban loved creme horns as much as I do. They say he loves Little Debbie Oatmeal creme pies. Well, he's got the creme part down. I bet when he's in private and nobody's around, he pulls out the creme horn and goes to town. He's a closet creme horn lover.

I wish Saint Saban loved creme horns as much as I do. They say he loves Little Debbie Oatmeal creme pies. Well, he's got the creme part down. I bet when he's in private and nobody's around, he pulls out the creme horn and goes to town. He's a closet creme horn lover.

Da'Nile is a river in Egypt Perry.......... I'm going to feel sorry for you guys when all is said and done because the great Saban is going to make you all look like fools for defending him........

Wow. Frustration is a bastard when you resort to posts like this. Very classy. Hey man, it's your school F'n it up, not ours. Sorry.

:moon:

No, it is you who is scared and you should be.

And please take the tribute to VT off your avater. VT folks do not need support nor want it from someone that acts like you. You have no credibility here and probably not anywhere in your own personal life. You truly are a disgrace to yourself, your University and your family.

Please just go away, your bammer counterparts on here and all of us would celebrate your exit. You add nothing to this board.

The Turds frustration with their school's inability to get out of it's own way is visible in ButtPlugs posts.

You epitomize the Turd Nation, BP! :roflol:

BP do you actually F'n believe that hoover only changed one grade for JC?????? It said to make Chapman eligible they changed one grade, they changed it a Half a F'n Point BP. That half point barely made Chap eligible, if they dig on this subject BP you'll see that it was more than just changing One grade a half point. Here's a thought BP, when you have one... just let it go.

Anywho if Josh Chap plays and the NCAA rules him ineligible, then bama would have to forfeit the games that he played in right?

BP do you actually F'n believe that hoover only changed one grade for JC?????? It said to make Chapman eligible they changed one grade, they changed it a Half a F'n Point BP. That half point barely made Chap eligible, if they dig on this subject BP you'll see that it was more than just changing One grade a half point. Here's a thought BP, when you have one... just let it go.

Anywho if Josh Chap plays and the NCAA rules him ineligible, then bama would have to forfeit the games that he played in right?

What are you talking about? Nick Saban will wipe his butt with the NCAA. They can't take anything away from him or he'll take his toys and go home. We all know the college game couldn't survive without him.

Archived