Lester's status for opener uncertain

AWK

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times August 28, 2007 2:24 PM

Junior tailback Brad Lester's status for Auburn's season-opener against Kansas State on Saturday is uncertain.

Lester, Auburn's leading returning rusher, is listed No. 1 on the depth chart, but the academic issues that led to his being suspended for the Cotton Bowl could also result in his suspension for Saturday night's game at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

A final decision is not expected before Thursday at the earliest. It could be Saturday before Lester or his coaches know if he will be available.

Asked about Lester at his weekly press conference, Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said, "To this point, he's playing. We'll talk about it as we go along. The running back position is going to be running back by committee like it has been over the years."

Asked if Lester's status could change, Tuberville said, "Well, it could. Anything could change."

If Lester does not play, the starting role will probably fall to sophomore Ben Tate. Redshirt freshman Mario Fannin and senior Carl Stewart, the starting fullback, are also expected to get time at tailback.

Lester rushed for 523 yards on 104 carries in 12 games last season. He rushed for a team-high nine touchdowns.

The sky is not falling

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has to do with a certain class, it is apparently the same problem from the bowl game last year. It is still under review.

MEANING HE MAY NEVER START THIS YR

No, meaning he just has to be certified eligible. Once again, the sky is not falling.

sorry AWK i should have explained my meaning was that once fanning hits the feild i dont think lester will ever start just my humble opinion

sorry AWK i should have explained my meaning was that once fanning hits the feild i dont think lester will ever start just my humble opinion

Oh its cool, no worries. I think Fannin will be great eventually, but much can be learned from Ga Tech '05. It pays dividends to have a RB with gameday experience. However, I don't think we should be worried at all.

UPDATE: WSFA in Montgomery just reported that CTT addressed the rumors that Lester "might not" play this weekend and said it was "not true", that it "would not change" and he will be on the field Saturday against KState.

UPDATE: WSFA in Montgomery just reported that CTT addressed the rumors that Lester "might not" play this weekend and said it was "not true", that it "would not change" and he will be on the field Saturday against KState.

Sweet. :thumbsup:

I think Lester has been lost in the shuffle at the running back position. The man is a touchdown maker and I'm hoping he is a big playmaker for the offense this year.

just a hunch but i dont think lester plays this weekend. maybe not this year. this whole situation just seems fishy and i think if tubs knows for sure that he is eligible to play he would tell us so. it may be a smokescreen for k state but i think tubs knows something we dont.

i think people are going to be surprised at how good lester REALLY is. I know he has seen limited playing time but the boy can run and slip through those holes and I think he will be more like Caddy than anyone realizes

i think people are going to be surprised at how good lester REALLY is. I know he has seen limited playing time but the boy can run and slip through those holes and I think he will be more like Caddy than anyone realizes

Agreeance. When healthy, he has shown flashes of Cadillacidness.

just a hunch but i dont think lester plays this weekend. maybe not this year. this whole situation just seems fishy and i think if tubs knows for sure that he is eligible to play he would tell us so. it may be a smokescreen for k state but i think tubs knows something we dont.

What part of this did you not understand? Notice the words in bold.

Come on people, Titan and others are supplying info here and let's not ignore that and keep feeding these rumors. I think Lester is an awesome back and have always thought he was a playmaker, but if all these rumors were true, it would not be the end of the world. We are not called "Runningback U" for nothing.

Also use some common sense. Do you think in a million years that CTT would take a chance of playing somebody that has a real chance of being ineligible? I would out any amount of money on the fact that CTT has a pretty good grasp on the situation and if he thought Lester's eligibility even had a slight chance of being revoked, he would not even think about putting him on the field Saturday. Have some faith in our coach guys and gals.

I'm just reporting what WSFA's Derek Shearer reported on the 6pm news. I'll watch again at 10 and see if they change their story. Folks on the Rivals and Scout boards both seem to think his status is still up in the air.

What part of this did you not understand? Notice the words in bold.

Come on people, Titan and others are supplying info here and let's not ignore that and keep feeding these rumors. I think Lester is an awesome back and have always thought he was a playmaker, but if all these rumors were true, it would not be the end of the world. We are not called "Runningback U" for nothing.

Also use some common sense. Do you think in a million years that CTT would take a chance of playing somebody that has a real chance of being ineligible? I would out any amount of money on the fact that CTT has a pretty good grasp on the situation and if he thought Lester's eligibility even had a slight chance of being revoked, he would not even think about putting him on the field Saturday. Have some faith in our coach guys and gals.

chill partner.

i said it was just a hunch. btw, the words in bold are not a direct quote, they are just an interpretation. all i am saying is that tubs is being pretty vague about this and it wouldnt surprise me if the staff is not wanting to give our opponent any info that might help them to prepare for us. i have complete faith in our coaches and i hope you are right and lester is in the line-up but something seems a little out of the ordinary about this situation. i also dont think it is the end of the world if he isnt available. while he is an great runner i think tate and fannin are equally as good.

chill partner.

i said it was just a hunch. btw, the words in bold are not a direct quote, they are just an interpretation. all i am saying is that tubs is being pretty vague about this and it wouldnt surprise me if the staff is not wanting to give our opponent any info that might help them to prepare for us. i have complete faith in our coaches and i hope you are right and lester is in the line-up but something seems a little out of the ordinary about this situation. i also dont think it is the end of the world if he isnt available. while he is an great runner i think tate and fannin are equally as good.

Nothing to chill about "partner". You said that you thought Lester would not play because you had a "hunch" and I was just pointing out that an admin had just informed us that CTT said that Lester would be playing Saturday. FYI...Titan would not post something that was just an "interpretation" of what he heard.

I think he meant that the WSFA reporter gave an interpretation, not me.

Just watched the 10pm Sports on WSFA and they didn't say anything else about Lester. So I guess we'll see.

I think he meant that the WSFA reporter gave an interpretation, not me.

Just watched the 10pm Sports on WSFA and they didn't say anything else about Lester. So I guess we'll see.

I turned it to the local news up here also and they said nothing about Lester either. That does not mean anything though because the sports coverage for our local channels is not exactly "Johnny on the spot". I think they watch the Birmingham news media and check the internet to get their news. <_<

CTT said BL would play, and until something changes, that's what I'm going on. The rest is just hens cluckin' over the fence.

i hear from an AU source that he might sit a good part of the season, if not the whole thing. that's not me just trying to stir you guys up, just what i was told FWIW....

I heard from my uncle's sister's mother's nephew's barber's mechanic that does the tune ups on CTT's Ford truck that Lester may or may not play. :poke:

Sure are a lot of "sources" out there saying a lot of different things.

FYI...I just got done watching the sports segment of the local morning news and they made no mention of the Lester or Dunlap "situations". Heck, they even did a short bit about the team preparing for KSU, which would have been the time to have mentioned anything that could negatively impact that preparation.

Good grief people....

I'm no mod, but here's a thread that should be locked until some actual info comes out. Just a rumor pot here...nothing more.

If he was going to be suspended for anything more than a game, or ANYTHING, it would have come out of many many different sources by now...

Let's just chill and wait...I hate seeing people get mad at each other over crap that nobody knows anything about yet...

Let's give it a day or two....

Just my opinion...

Archived