Georgia @ Alabama

WinCrimson

This kid, WCU, got his ass whipped by both teams -- and now feels the need to tell the world whose punch left the bigger knot. What a freaking joke.

ATHENS, Ga. -- When Alabama and Georgia tangle in Bryant-Denny Stadium this Saturday, nobody will have a better feel for how that game could go than Western Carolina.

The Catamounts were coach Nick Saban's sacrificial lambs in a 52-6 season-opening loss at Alabama in Saban's debut. And Saturday, Western Carolina was on the receiving end of a 45-16 Georgia thrashing at Sanford Stadium.

"That should be a good game, but I think Georgia should win," said WCU quarterback Todd Spitzer, who completed 6 of 10 passes Saturday for just 16 yards before giving way to backup Adam Hearns. "In my opinion, Georgia is bigger and faster and a lot stronger."

Having seen firsthand what each team has to offer, though the circumstances were rather different, Catamounts coach Kent Briggs and defensive end Jeff Bradley agreed that the Bulldogs -- who have won more games than any other SEC team during the past five seasons -- were the tougher opponents.

"I thought Georgia was a much more physical team, and I thought they had a little bit better athletes," said Briggs, whose team has lost 12 straight games.

Bradley said one of the big differences between the two teams is the way they moved the ball on offense. He said Alabama attacked the Catamounts more side to side, while Georgia pressed the issue downfield more often. In the end, the Crimson Tide racked up 575 yards of offense, while the Dogs had 362.

"They're both tough teams, but I thought the way Georgia went after us was a little bit more difficult to deal with," said Bradley, who finished with four tackles and nearly came up with a momentum-swinging fumble recovery in the first quarter that could have put the Catamounts up 7-3.

Still, the game was tied at 3 after the first quarter and Georgia led 24-9 at the half. In Tuscaloosa on Sept. 1, the Tide jumped out to a 24-3 halftime lead and steamrolled the Catamounts from there.

The mood at Georgia was a bit different since the Dogs were coming off last week's loss to South Carolina, and the players and fans didn't seem too motivated. The crowd was announced as 92,746, but the upper deck was never full and more than a third of the crowd was gone by halftime.

Georgia picked up the pace a bit in the second quarter, scoring 21 points, and showed its versatility on the ground and through the air with touchdowns in the third quarter.

"Alabama can go out there and match up with them (better than the Catamounts did)," Briggs said, "but I think Georgia is the more skilled team overall."

LINK

Yeah, Georgia's way more physical.

40204090792224sh0.jpg

I found their comments odd considering we put up 200 more yards of offense, had a wider margin of victory, and beat UGA in pretty much every statistical category by comparison.

I'm sure the UGA players had more muscles though. And that's all that matters really.

Really? Comparing this to what Pat Dye said?

If Bama needs this to motivate them against us this weekend, we may actually have a chance. Someone posted this on UGA's board and most said the same thing...who cares?

WCU is a nobody...not sure why you would even compare that to Pat Dye saying we weren't man enough to beat Bama

Yeah, Georgia's way more physical.

Obviously the writer called and interviewed WCU coaches & players. They didn't call him.

Obviously you would like the article better if they had said "UaT is more physical." :thumbsup:

STOP.

WCU was an off week for both UGA and Alabama. Statistics won't matter in this game. Home field advantage, turnovers, and experience will.

I doubt we "need" it to motivate us. In fact, I know we don't. The game won't be decided either way on the comments from the also-ran All-County players from Western Carolina.

And you're right... this doesn't compare to what Dye said due to the fact that bruised children made the remarks instead of an established coach on the air. I agree.

I doubt we "need" it to motivate us. In fact, I know we don't. The game won't be decided either way on the comments from the also-ran All-County players from Western Carolina.

And you're right... this doesn't compare to what Dye said due to the fact that bruised children made the remarks instead of an established coach on the air. I agree.

Then why is "WCU -- The new Pat Dye?" in the sub-title of this thread?

Pat Dye's comments were plastered across every piece of UGA's locker before the Bama game. We literally used it as a motivational tool and it worked....worked in that the practices were some of the best we had and the players kept their heads in the game. We barely got out of Tusc with a W but considering we hadn't won at Bama....ever, we were willing to take a W however we could grab it

Thus, comparing the two...would imply that Bama is using it as some sort of motivational tool

You're making up some offense that isn't there. It is customary for reporters to ask common opponents of teams about to face off who they think was the tougher team to play against and who they think will win. He didn't "feel the need to tell the world", he was asked.

Weak sauce.

Holy, the arrogance is overflowing in here. I guess a team being 3-0 will do that to some fans. :rolleyes:

Agree. Bama fans do know that Georgia is actually going to try to win the game, right? And after Alabama showed they are not a 4th quarter team against Arkansas, they definitely can be beaten.

And after Alabama showed they are not a 4th quarter team against Arkansas

Really? What makes you think that? The fact that we came back and won the game...or the fact that we executed a 2 min drive to perfection?

Holy, the arrogance is overflowing in here. I guess a team being 3-0 will do that to some fans

Really? I haven't read anything arrogant in this thread.

Really? What makes you think that? The fact that we came back and won the game...or the fact that we executed a 2 min drive to perfection?

BG, calm down. And don't take what I am saying as disrespect.

The fact that you let Arkansas come back from a 21 point deficit and take the lead in the 4th quarter 38-31. Your defense was absolutely winded, like they were running 100-yard dashes on the sideline instead of resting.

McFadden comes out of the game late in the 4th quarter with unbearable cramps. Huston Nutt throws the ball on 3rd down when Alabama has no timeouts and then punts to you with 2:00 left.

Either of those things does not happen, and we are talking about a desperation drive, possibly not ending well.

I thought your 2 minute offense was probably one of the best I have seen in years. You did have a great final drive, but there were some FUBARS on the other sideline that didn't seal the deal.

It was a great win. Well-coached and well-played. But, if there is a way to beat Alabama for sure, it's exploit the defense depth chart in the 4th quarter.

I don't think that's an Alabama team thing though. I think if you give up an 80 yard drive, then 3 plays later there's a fumble...they drive for a TD...then the VERY NEXT PLAY you throw a pick, and the D has to go on the field yet again, ANY D would be winded.

I see what you are saying, but I don't think it's fair to compare it to normal "late game" situations.

The depth thing is a different issue all together. You are right, we are thin. ESPECIALLY at LB. Anyone notice a difference in the game when Mustin went out and Waldrop came in?

BG, calm down. And don't take what I am saying as disrespect.

The fact that you let Arkansas come back from a 21 point deficit and take the lead in the 4th quarter 38-31. Your defense was absolutely winded, like they were running 100-yard dashes on the sideline instead of resting.

McFadden comes out of the game late in the 4th quarter with unbearable cramps. Huston Nutt throws the ball on 3rd down when Alabama has no timeouts and then punts to you with 2:00 left.

Either of those things does not happen, and we are talking about a desperation drive, possibly not ending well.

I thought your 2 minute offense was probably one of the best I have seen in years. You did have a great final drive, but there were some FUBARS on the other sideline that didn't seal the deal.

It was a great win. Well-coached and well-played. But, if there is a way to beat Alabama for sure, it's exploit the defense depth chart in the 4th quarter.

Unbearable cramps? I think you mean concussion.

Unbearable cramps? I think you mean concussion.

Maybe. I thought they said on TV it was cramping because they kept showing McFadden on the bench getting heavy-duty stretching from the trainers each time he would come off.

Anyway, my point is that Nutt opened up a window for you guys, and you sure enough capitalized on it and shoved it down his throat.

Now, if you will just admit that you cheered madly when he threw it on 3rd down and had to punt to you, then we will all be content. ;)

Somebody needs to check that Arky DB's bank account this week. On that last pass, he looked straight at the ball and then made NO attempt to even jump. I think he thought they were out of the back of the end-zone already. Or he had money ride'in. Very strange way to cover a receiver.

Somebody needs to check that Arky DB's bank account this week. On that last pass, he looked straight at the ball and then made NO attempt to even jump. I think he thought they were out of the back of the end-zone already. Or he had money ride'in. Very strange way to cover a receiver.

I think all of Ark's DBs are awful. Sure that guy was oblivious on that last play, but he wasn't alone.

I think all of Ark's DBs are awful. Sure that guy was oblivious on that last play, but he wasn't alone.

They played awful the entire game. Arky is in for a tough year.

Let me tell you...I did not understand WHY he was throwing the ball. I was like "I guess nobody told him that we have zero timeouts"

I guess he was distracted by all the helmet loving.

Actually, it had nothing to do with his love of "that helmet!"

My theory is that he knew that Donna Bragg was blowing up his cell phone. The man's got his priorities in order.

"I did not have textual relations with that woman!"

Archived