Logic

TitanTiger

Chimps have a genome extremely similar to the human genome...

ergo, chimps are persons, according to animal rights activists in Austria.

Now, work with me here: an unborn baby has a genome that is *exactly identical* to the human genome...

ergo...

Where you went wrong is thinking there is any logic at all concerning abortion.

Chimps have a genome extremely similar to the human genome...

ergo, chimps are persons, according to animal rights activists in Austria.

Now, work with me here: an unborn baby has a genome that is *exactly identical* to the human genome...

ergo...

Well first off chimps are people. Flowers have very similar DNA but they aren't people either. But, even if you were to say that chimps were people, and an unborn babies DNA is identical to a human, thus it would be murder, then you would have to admit that skin cells are people(don't scratch your skin) that brain cells are people(don't drink beer) and so on and so forth. So either way their argument is flawed as is yours(though I know yours was based off a flawed argument)

Skin cells don't have their own DNA, they have the DNA of the person they came from. Brain cells don't have their own DNA, they have the DNA of the person whose skull they are inside of. Skin cells also don't have their own central nervous system, brains and thoughts, feelings, senses and so on.

I was pointing out the faulty logic of weirdo animal nuts, who just so happen to often be the ones who support abortion rights on the basis that an unborn baby is not a person. That critique still stands.

Skin cells don't have their own DNA, they have the DNA of the person they came from. Brain cells don't have their own DNA, they have the DNA of the person whose skull they are inside of. Skin cells also don't have their own central nervous system, brains and thoughts, feelings, senses and so on.

I was pointing out the faulty logic of weirdo animal nuts, who just so happen to often be the ones who support abortion rights on the basis that an unborn baby is not a person. That critique still stands.

You are right, they do not have DNA that is unique to each skin cell. However, it could be possible to turn a skin cell into a person through cloning(not now, the science is fuzzy) but it could be done. So skin cells, while not having individual DNA, do have the capability to foster human life. Blastocyts also do not have feelings, senses and so on.

As far as the wierdo animal rights nuts, couldn't agree more.

PETA(People for Eating Tasty Animals)

Archived