Hypothetical: Saban at spuat or LSU

quietfan

While I'm keeping an open mind as far as any Saban to LSU rumors (though personally I thnk he may have P.O.'d one too many people in Red Stick), here's a hypothetical to discuss:

Which would be better for Auburn, Saban going to LSU or Saban staying at Bama?

While I would dearly enjoy the meltdown in West Vance if he bailed on them, in the long run which would be best for us? I suppose it depends on whether you think he's a great coach with a great future--or only a fair coach who had a few good years, has past his prime, and is tottering on complete paranoia and dementia.

If he still has a bright future, I hate to see the Sabanites of Tuscaloosa proven right--under those circumstances, I'd prefer him not share the same state as us. However, it is also possible that if he spends another year or two at spuat, he'll leave the SEC for greener pastures and get out of the conference completely. He might stay in the conference longer at LSU.

Obviously however, if he's past his prime and becoming a joke, I treasure watching the Sabanites pay $4Mill annually ($666K per loss so far :big: ) for a wash-up media buffoon!

...Opinions?

I think the comedy is just too rich w/ him in Turdtown. He fits in so perfectly there.

Ever seen the Clint Eastwood movies where he's a bare knuckle boxer w/ an orangutan named Clyde? Remember the biker gang that keeps chasing them around? Saban and the Turds remind me of that biker gang, complete w/ the cheesy saxophone-driven theme music.

Whoa... my analogy is even better than I thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAmPY-ELCo4

So far, I 've not seen anything from him that would indicate that he's a great COACH. Here's why I say that. I've seen where he's a great recruiter, but I've yet to see a situation where he took a team with equal or less talent and coached that talent up (he certainly did a miserable job of it this year). I think he's a coach that MUST have superior talent to win. We have seen years where Tubs took less talented or inexperienced players and done pretty well with them. We've seen where coaches throughout the country have come in and turned teams around in one year even though those teams had less talent than most of their opponents. Saban has yet to do that.

I can't take anything away from his skill as a recruiter, but I have to wonder if recruiting was taken out of the equation, how good he would be.

So far, he has come into situations where he can promise early playing time at established programs with top notch facilities. He hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to see if he can maintain the level of recruiting when he has a loaded team and can't make those promises anymore.

I think, long term he won't be any better than any of the other top level teams in the SEC. He will have his good years and bad years.

To answer the question. I think the combination of Saban's egomaniacal personality and the freaked out over the top fan base of Bama is just too much fun to miss. I hope he stays just for the comic relief.

We need little nicky in west vance. You know, the STREAK and all......

I like the idea of $aban going to LSU. That way, once the brains at Alabama hire another crappy coach, LSU will have one also, and we will have a clear and easy way to the SEC Championship. I know we will be good enough to get there even if LSU has a decent coach, but this will knock out 2 of the 6 teams playing for SEC West. Just makes things easier.

I think the comedy is just too rich w/ him in Turdtown. He fits in so perfectly there.

Ever seen the Clint Eastwood movies where he's a bare knuckle boxer w/ an orangutan named Clyde? Remember the biker gang that keeps chasing them around? Saban and the Turds remind me of that biker gang, complete w/ the cheesy saxophone-driven theme music.

Whoa... my analogy is even better than I thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAmPY-ELCo4

"Right turn Clyde" B)

Archived