#1 OL Visits AU

DKW 86

From Rivals: #1 OL Visits AU.

Auburn will be hosting some of the top prep school, junior college and high school prospects in the country this weekend on official visits. Among the group will be Chatham (Va.) Hargrave (prep) OL Jermaine Johnson, a four-star prospect and the No. 1 prep school OL in the country.

Johnson, 6-foot-6, 310 pounds, signed with Auburn out of St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. in February 2007, but had to go to Hargrave after failing to qualify.

Johnson was also a standout basketball player in high school.

He took an official visit to the Plains last December, but hasn't been back since. He'll return for the first time this weekend.

It can't come soon enough.

"It's been a year, a long time, … too long," he said. "But I'll be on campus Friday and I can't wait."

Johnson has been in contact with two Auburn coaches recently including his lead recruiter out of high school, Eddie Gran, and most recently James Willis.

"I talked to coach Gran not too long ago. We were talking about my visit," said Johnson. "He's excited about me coming back, all of the coaches are. I also talked to coach Willis last week. He came by and we set the visit up."

Having already taken one official visit to Auburn, Johnson has seen the majority of the campus and facilities, but still wants to learn more about academic support.

"I want to look really good at the academics. I know I'm going to need some help so that will be a big part of my visit, see what kind of help they have.

"I've seen most of everything else, but I'll also get to meet more of the players like Lee Ziemba and those guys."

Despite only playing one year of high school football, Johnson has been a standout this season at the Virginia military academy. According to coach Robert Prunty, Auburn will be getting a potential NFL tackle and a potential starter opposite Ziemba.

"He's going to be a great left tackle," Prunty told Rivals.com. "He's probably the most athletic guy we've got on the line. He has great hands, is tall, lanky. He's a basketball player-type, and unless something happens he is going to be playing on Sundays.

"He's got too much talent to not play next year."

Hargrave held its annual combine/workout last week where Rivals.com national recruiting analyst Mike Farrell was in attendance. Johnson was impressive, said Farrell.

"(Johnson) was every bit the as intimidating as expected," Farrell said. "Johnson dominated the left tackle position, controlling some of the top ends including Quinton Coples and Leon Mackey."

"I did pretty good," Johnson said of his performance. "I feel like I can do better, but I did okay. I tried my best. I am feeling more and more comfortable and more and more confident about the game."

Should he make a qualifying test score at Hargrave –he took the ACT Saturday- Johnson would enroll at Auburn in January and have five years to play four.

Some of the other top prospects scheduled to visit AU next weekend include New Berlin (NY) Milford Academy four-star DL Charles Deas, Senatobia (Miss.) Northwest JUCO and former AU LB Patrick Trahan and Delray Beach (Fla.) Atlantic four-star DB Karnell Hatcher.

Question: you think he actually works into the lineup next year? I know it's all conjecture until he's doing it on the field, but we've got to be eager to get Pugh more reps (at least at practice) at center since he's the heir apparent there. He was solid at LT this year, but that's not where his home is. Anyone think we'll see movement up front despite the fact that we get all five starters back?

Why would Trahan even need an official visit? It's not like he hasn't seen the in's and out's first hand.

He's rethinking his options. Ole Miss was after him and promising he'd start. Of course, he was scheduled to start here, too.

Why would Trahan even need an official visit? It's not like he hasn't seen the in's and out's first hand.

He's rethinking his options. Ole Miss was after him and promising he'd start. Of course, he was scheduled to start here, too.

He's got a little thing here waiting on him called a doghouse. From what I hear (but this was before Nutt got hired, who knows now), he's supposed to end up here again, but he'll have to work his way back on the field.

Archived